DIY CFL Reflector

Heh, that's the same video I used when I was building mine.

Suggestions I would give:

1: add an inline switch to the connecting wire to two of the sockets so you can turn them off if you want. Not all of the lights are needed for germinating the seedlings.

2. I'm hanging computer fans from the steel rod to have some constant light airflow

3. I'm also new, I have a full set of 42w 5500k CFL's that I'm using for grow and have a full set of 42w 2700k on the way, but not sure what I'm going to do for bloom, probably 6x2700k and 2x5500k

4. I would think about adding some hooks directly to the duct pipe where you want to hang them from. Using the chains supported by the steel rod was a bit unstable. A small hole with washers on both sides should do the trick

Finished new light set up....
with the 6 bulbs at the moment:
=110watts
=7000 lumens
2 5000k
3 2700k
and the last i dont remember :(
20160430_131726.jpg
20160430_131716_HDR.jpg
20160430_125940.jpg

anyone have any recommendations?

Yes.

My suggestion is to modify it so that the regular-looking CFL bulbs are in a horizontal orientation instead of vertical or angled. They - like most "uncovered" bulbs - produce the vast majority of their illumination from the "side" as opposed to the end. A reflector helps, of course. But even with a reflector it is better to ensure that as much light from your bulbs is aimed directly at the plants as is possible, especially with bulbs that produce a relatively low amount of illumination (and have little penetrative ability) in the first place.

I would also suggest that you exchange the "covered" CFLs for the "open" type. You can see in the picture I quoted that at least one of them (and probably all of the covered style) is just a regular style CFL enclosed in a glass covering. Glass attenuates a bulb's output; even with clear glass you'll lose about 9% of the output, and with "frosted" glass it is going to be much worse. Those things are fine for general-purpose lighting, I suppose, or where one wishes to "soften" the light. But in a garden setting you want as much illumination to reach the plants as is possible - one way to look at it is that you are going to be paying the same amount in electricity cost whether 90% of the illumination reaches your plants... or 71%.

Other than that, lol: Great thinking on building a CFL reflector! I have been known to use soda cans for individual bulbs, myself. Just because CFL bulbs do not provide an awesome amount of illumination doesn't mean that reflectors aren't important (I'd think that they'd be even more important when every little bit counts). Have some Reputation Points, on me!

Back
Top Bottom