Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: DIY Recirculating DWC PVC Tube

Re: DIY Recirculating DWC PVC Tube

Yeah I'd love to see progress on this if possible. Amazing!!

Nug of the Year Winner - 2010 Nug and Plant of the Month Winner Plant of the Year Winner - 2012 Mr Smith's Avatar

After I set the resevoir , pump and connected the plumbing I ran the system with water.

The 1000gph pump was so powerful I had to leave the bypass valve wide open.

The stick in the middle is just a dipstick I made to know how much water is in the res, The system running keeps about 13 gallons in tubes and I keep about 7 gallons in the resevoir. The float on the left is for when I install a secondary res.

Waterfall height was never recorded but is probally between 4 to 6 inches.

After the first water run I found I had a slight leveling issue so I drained the system, and releveled every row.

After releveling the system I ended up with a number of leaks so I had to drain the system and run a shamy cloth thru the tubes get the system dry and repaired the leaks with silicone. Then I did another water run to make sure the leaks were repaired. This took a total of 3 drain and fills to get all the leaks repaired. DIY projects can become problems after problems or at least with my DIY

I had to cut the dam height to at least 1 inch in height because the pump would eventually push water out of the plant sites. I really fucked up by setting the plant holes at 33 degrees but it also taught me that a 1000gph pump was too powerful for this setup.

After cutting the dams down to a lower level I was finally able to keep water from overflowing out the plant holes.

After I got all my water issues resolved for now I installed the secondary res but kept the amount of water very low

Now that everthing is ready I wrapped the system with reflective insulation and started a test grow.
    Last edited by 420; 01-13-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Nug of the Year Winner - 2010 Nug and Plant of the Month Winner Plant of the Year Winner - 2012 Mr Smith's Avatar

Here are a few pics of the first day I put plants in the system.

I put in 85 belledona clones in the system. I am using general hydroponics nutes at 40% strengh. The clones came right out of the cloning machine and I am starting flowering time and comepletely skipping veg period. The light is a 1000w hps with a new hortilux bulb that I set up to move up and down using pullys and a light mover.
    Last edited by 420; 01-13-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Here are some pics of day 7 in flower.

After the second week I had water coming out of the plant holes again and had to replace the 1000gph pump with a 500gph pump.
    Last edited by 420; 01-13-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Mr. Krip likes this.

And here are some pics of day 25 in flower. Please remember that there was no veg time so the plants wont be getting very big.

After another flooding incident I removed the dams, when it flooded again because the roots grew so much it created a lot of drag I replaced the pump with a 250gph. I really should not of put the plant holes at 33 degrees.

Blog Entries

Looking good Mr Smith.

I had wondered about the angle you did with the pots. We learn as we grow.

Prairie
    -- Prairie

How to grow marijuana everything you need know

If you are asking for help, click here to get better answers.

My only journal:
    Prairie's Trying Again SCROG Deep Water Culture

very nice sir. who cares how big they get, what counts is that all your hard work is paying off. and if i may say so thats pretty cool looking as i havent seen many colosseum builds.. tossing them right into bloom from clone is the way to go, if you do veg i wouldnt go more then a week. but yes +rep for sure and keep us updated, because im sure im not the only one who wants to see a wall of buds.
    If a man is guilty for what goes on in his mind, then give me the electric chair for all my future crimes.

Thanks for the props but I won't achieve my goal this grow. I see that the grow will go over a pnd but I won't reach 40 plus ounce this round. I do plan to veg 1 week after the grow test and the rebuild, this project is ongoing until I reach satisfaction.
    Day 40 in flower.
    Mr. Krip and Hozona like this.

Nice. I like the pulleys... reminds me of something I did taken to the "nth" degree... 2011, a space full o' buds odyssey!

Perhaps the vertical movement is the key to extra vertical efficiency.

Cannabis Connoisseur Propa Gator's Avatar

Perhaps the vertical movement is the key to extra vertical efficiency.
    Or split the watts and stack the bulbs ie two(or three) 400w, but...
    They would be serving a smaller radius crop circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Propa Gator View Post
    Or split the watts and stack the bulbs ie two(or three) 400w, but...
    They would be serving a smaller radius crop circle.
    Its really good to see ya PG. If it wasn't for a few pms we shared I probally wouldn't be doing this test. The base tube on my vert is 24 inches making my octagon's inside diameter of 60 inches so the bulb is 30 inches from the plants When I rebuild and fix the problems I've been having I am making the base tube at 20 inches to make the light distance shorter. I do own 4 600w but they are being used on the aero 60 so next test will have the same light setup. I have another 1000w but I am trying to beat 1 gram per watt with this style growing and 2000grams might be asking too much for such a small area. The thought did cross my mind about a duel octagon system but until I beat the 1 gram per watt I won't be satified. Besides I like using the other 1000w for the ebb ngro or aero 36 depending on what mood or strain I am on.
    Qlee likes this.

I wonder if a longer veg time would help the yield...

What's your opinion on trimming fans that block light to buds?

I like how you've used the weight to counter balance the bulb on the vert. mover... might have to steal that idea...

Cannabis Connoisseur Propa Gator's Avatar

Mr Smith, I'm delighted to see your flooded tube stack performing well, but...
    Heaths' design is IMO, flawed. I wish that I could use & post graphics but
    I still doodle with a pen. I will describe my ideas; the scheme behind my
    ownership of two dozen sch 40 4" 45* elbows. I bought, then realized that
    I can't build waterworks in the space I have ... I've downstairs neighbors.

Individual layers, water entering one end exits the other through a
    short drain-pipe that adjusts for height of water in the upper tube, then pours
    it into the next layer down. Each half-layer has four octagon segments;
    Four half-circle flooded tubes stack for each side of the array. Each half
    has its own pump from the common res. One side can pivot on HD castors
    to allow inside access.
    This tool has aided my dreams: Polygon Calculator

2" net-cups neatly mount RW starter cubes, why go bigger?
    This system has 8 separable parts, so is portable.
    The vertical drain-connector can be fitted with a grommet on top, loose below.
    End caps can be coffee-can tops in 4" sch 40; silicon works here.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I wonder if a longer veg time would help the yield...

What's your opinion on trimming fans that block light to buds?

I like how you've used the weight to counter balance the bulb on the vert. mover... might have to steal that idea...
    I am pretty sure I could double the yeild with just one week veg, because I had to come up with such a large number of clones at once I was not able to pick and choose which clones to use and some of the clones had very well establish root systems while others only started with a small string of roots. Since my diy is a vertical system and the light source stays below the plant height my plants tend to bush instead of stretch and grows toward the light it will or would be necessary to remove certain fan leaves to promote better bud production. I did't veg at all with this grow test so lil to no trimming was needed this round.
    I had to use counter weights with the light rail because without them the motor would spin and get stuck on the rail. It was simple trial and error. A better product might be the light mover that uses the motor and chaindrive assembly but I used what I already owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Propa Gator View Post
    Mr Smith, I'm delighted to see your flooded tube stack performing well, but...
    Heaths' design is IMO, flawed. I wish that I could use & post graphics but
    I still doodle with a pen. I will describe my ideas; the scheme behind my
    ownership of two dozen sch 40 4" 45* elbows. I bought, then realized that
    I can't build waterworks in the space I have ... I've downstairs neighbors.

Individual layers, water entering one end exits the other through a
    short drain-pipe that adjusts for height of water in the upper tube, then pours
    it into the next layer down. Each half-layer has four octagon segments;
    Four half-circle flooded tubes stack for each side of the array. Each half
    has its own pump from the common res. One side can pivot on HD castors
    to allow inside access.
    This tool has aided my dreams: Polygon Calculator

2" net-cups neatly mount RW starter cubes, why go bigger?
    This system has 8 separable parts, so is portable.
    The vertical drain-connector can be fitted with a grommet on top, loose below.
    End caps can be coffee-can tops in 4" sch 40; silicon works here.
    Thankyou for the calculator, it should come in handy with my next big diy design if I ever get a chance to build it but for now I am going to recycle as many parts as I can and reach my goal before I resize the system. Running a naked bulb its best to keep plants 1.5 feet away and even tho I am 30 inches away next grow test will have bigger plants.There are many mods I can do to the diy like add drippers or spray nozzles but for now I wish to stay simple with the recirculating water system. I would love to see your design in action, I had a similar design in mind but decided to go the full octagon setup and sacraficing one eighth of the system for the drop to the next row. This system is extremely quiet and the resevoir sits on a stand and is insulated so it doesn't sound like your drawling water for a bath from downstairs. The whole room is carpeted and I have a pond liner laying on top of the carpet waterproofing the whole floor. I lipped the ends against the wall stuck strips of wood under the liner at door entries after the first time I had a overflow issue and dropped 14 gallons of water/nute mix on the floor. 3/8ths and 1/2 inch grommits can work on rounded surfaces but larger grommits don't work well and have to be used on flat surfaces. I mainly went with 3 inch cups because I use them on other systems I own and anything smaller might make cleaning a bitch.
    When did you become the 420 poet?
    Last edited by Mr Smith; 01-21-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: I am just a couple days from harvest time, lookin good

Pretty Bad Ass system there Mr Smith, I am wondering what your water temps are like with the wrap and are you using a chiller? I built a stadium terraced system very similar a few years ago and had the same objective, I got much better yields once I got the water temp to stabilize around 66f added cO2 and a 3 headed fogging system inside the grow chamber.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast