Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Diy Custom CFL Growlight

Diy Custom CFL Growlight

All from Home Depot
    -Piece of sheet metal for reflective hood
    -2 or 3(more sturdy) pieces of flat iron steel to Drill & Bend (with hands) for sheet metal reflective hood
    -Any # Fixture Vanity $ 10-25
    -Y adapters for the bulbs $2.50/ea
    -Extension Cable to wire fixture
    -Chain to hang like 40 cents/ft
    -Whatever CFL's you prefer (Personally I like the 27w's I'm using for $5 a 2-pack because they are 1750 lumens & im using 12 bulbs so that's about 21,000 lumens)
    I had 6 clones Vegging under 3 CFL's & I moved them under this & it's a worlds difference & it takes up the same space the 3 clamp lights did

Blog Entries

Re: Diy Custom CFL Growlight

I have heard that the majority of the light you want comes out of the sides of the bulb not the ends. Do you have enojgh room to turn the y's so that your bulbs are horizontal?

With the Y's positioned how they are in the pics, I have 5 clones Vegging under it & they are doing great & could double the # easily if i needed. I have the top nodes of the plants in between each splitter so they get light from the sides & tip of the bulb. You cannot position the Y's horizontal, but i don't see how that would help, you would get the same footprint, if anything i would think you would get less supplemental lighting for the lower nodes. I'm currently only using 10 of the 12 bulbs in the light , mixed with 3 more cfls for supplemental lighting & they are lovin it ! My friend has 4 plants under 6 clamp cfls & mine have almost grown double the amount of his in the last week !

they look bomb bro, and theres an old sayin if it aint broke dnt fix it! keep it up cant wait to see the budz!!!!!

Looking good and Stoned! Are you going to start a grow journal?
    My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view. ~H. Fred Dale
    I still Have a lot of mistakes to learn from learning is the fun part!

Blue Dream, Ken's Grand Daddy Purple, and LA Confidential LED/DWC grow. Complete Check it out!!

Make sure to vote on the MONTHLY CONTESTS

Ive gotta come up with something like this for my Cab for supplemental lighting.

My DIY Grow Cab (work in progress)

First Grow Journal - Automaria II
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Any help, suggestions & insight MUCH appreciated with my journal

Thanks, I think im going to buy a 4 fixture vanity w/y adapters & mount it on the wall for supplemental because this one is working so good. I was actually considering a journal, I think I might start one tomorrow. Here are a few pics of the ladies. Before I cut clones & pruned
    Clones After cutting clones & pruning a bit & transplanted into 3 Gallons (A Bit naked but who doesnt like some naked females )
    And a few pics of my flowering girls outside (3 are clones & look very odd with their single leaves: Vanilla Kush, Headband, & Plat. OG)

nice! id like to see how your next project comes out.

I want to make some kind of a light strip along the back wall of my cab, as I already have a T5 fixture over head, but once the girls start getting bigger I want something to get some light inbetween them.

Plants look great!
    My DIY Grow Cab (work in progress)

First Grow Journal - Automaria II
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Any help, suggestions & insight MUCH appreciated with my journal

Man those clones look funky! in a good way of course

And a few pics of my flowering girls outside (3 are clones & look very odd with their single leaves: Vanilla Kush, Headband, & Plat. OG) [/QUOTE]

bro mine are doing this as well wtf is happening!?!?! ive been told its not transplanting them that stunting them, others think it just needs to grow out of it. some think its not alot of light penetration, i have no idea but i feel this is bad
    if you find something out please lmk!

I've done quite a bit of searching & the only thing I've come across several times is that the plant was flowering & started revegging. heres a thread http://http://www.----------------.c...ad.php?t=50206

Thread: http://www.----------------.com/foru...ad.php?t=50206

What a great little project Stoned4daze61. I have been trying to figure out how to get the girls more light. This is PERFECT. I have plenty on top but want to get more in the sides. This is a great idea, I go to BJ (costco, Sams) and they have bargains like 8 CFL's for 10 bucks.

Thanks, gotta go get some fixtures. Back in a bit LOL.
    We are the most intelligent beings on the planet,and so it is our responsibility to protect the least. No matter what the species.

Here is another one I made because the first ones working so well.
    They are sooo easy to make !! At first I was thinking of getting a 125w CFL w/hood for around $70 but it is only around 7,000 lumens with a small light footprint. I made my 12 cfl hood for less then $70 & it puts out 21,000 lumens with a 3'x2' footprint. This one below I just made today and it holds 8 bulbs which could easily be increased with more y socket adapters. It cost me around $40-$50 & puts out 14,000 lumens. Mind I am using 26w & 27w bulbs which are cheap and put out 1,750 lumens each. So why buy large CFL grow lights or T-5 fixtures for lots of $$$ you could DO IT YOURSELF & save $$ while having even MORE lumens. In my Veg closet I currently have my 12 bulb & 8 bulb diy fixtures which cost under $130 (thats shooting high) for both & together they put out 35,000 lumens from CFL's. They are working wonders in my 4'1/2 x 2' closet
    Not to mention it is just straight up fun & self gratifying

home depot sells a 68 watt cfl 2700k bulb they say is the same as a 300 watt hps. i use 4 in my flower box!! they work great

I did the math on this and you can use a 250 watt HPS and get 4000 more lumens and use about 100 less watts of power saving you ,oney. Just an idea to think about great build though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast