Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Molasses for stickier buds?

Re: Molasses for stickier buds?

I've seen comments by other regarding molasses, but didn't have a clue about the use, or benefits. Although stickiness, and taste are important to some, I view the benefit to the root system, as outlined by MrCloner420, to be a big plus.

Would I also mix molasses with my nute/H20 schedule, or just with my H20 schedule in between nute feeds? Currently I water every seven days, adding nutes every 14 days.

If I read this correctly, I'm into the 3rd week of flower, and should start a molasses program starting after the 4th week?

Thanks in advance, and for another great growing tip.
    OldSkoool

Free your mind, and your ass will follow

420 Member

I stopped using molasses for 2 grows to see the impact. A lot less root development and lighter buds.

Weed, always encouraging to read another positive testimonial before jumping off the cliff

Thanks to DrFrankenKush for the burn warning.
    OldSkoool

Free your mind, and your ass will follow

So Weed420 your yield didn't go up? I'd rather have hard as a rock buds.....did the buds begin to stretch out, thinning?

Blog Entries

I will be using another approach for hydro to increase bud weight and density...part of H&G's line. Their version of molasses.

So you use it Pit........

420 Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrCloner420 View Post
    Here we go when your girls are in the flowering stage and they are showing 30% brown pistils dicontinue ALL nutes....... turn off ALL your lights for the next two weeks..... change to H2O and molasses only this will do several things for your ladies..... It will flush the nutes..... help in sweeting your final product and INCREASE your quality/yield big time. You will notice the difference trust me !! BUds are noticably bigger stickyier(is that a word?) and SWEETER
    MrCloner420
    hi, have a question about the tip you gave. i can see how the lights being off will make them want to bud even more and fast. but wouldn't that also effect how potent the bud is? i have only ever done indoor grows. but from some of the things i have read about outdoor grows is. it is better to harvest after you have had a couple of sunny days. then it is to harvest after it has been cloudy. that the plants should be more potent if picked after the sunny days vs. cloudy one.

wouldn't leaving the lights totally off for 2 weeks slow down growth after just a few days of no light. wouldn't the plant need light to have photosynthesis to make its energy for growth?would 2 weeks be to long?
    Tallady likes this.

im gonna try that when i start my grow

420 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrowerdude View Post
    So Weed420 your yield didn't go up? I'd rather have hard as a rock buds.....did the buds begin to stretch out, thinning?

My yield went down when I stopped using molasses.
    I have never been a fan of rock hard buds. They are hard to smoke in a bowl unless you really dry them out. I prefer a little looser bud. It burns a little easier and if I keep them dried but not bone dry they will go out after each toke, which makes the bud last longer.
    I've used Gravity to firm them up but didn't really like it. Just personal preference.

Blog Entries

Again, the use of molasses during the final stages of flowering is more or less a "tricks of the trade" practiced primarily by growers with resale intentions. Pretty much the same theory as the cattle rancher who employs a "weight gain" program just prior to sellin his beef, knowing poundage is key and with our particular product, if your into product resale, poundage/weight is definitely key!

4 primary keys to getting premium "resale product" prices is: 10)Maximum size/yield 2) Weight 3) Appearance 4) Flavor. The molasses does all 4. While THC content (potency) is obviously important also, molasses doesnt really aid much in this area other than a bit of a sweeter flavor. It's simply the old capitolistic rule of thumb: The better the "look and feel" of the product, the easier it is to market and get top dollar even tho the potency may be a bit less. If you grow for personal stash only, the use of molasses can and will improve bud size. It wont make it more potent but it will make it larger. Molasses is kind of the Extenze of the growers world...LOL

Molasses mostly loads the buds with carbs, resulting in larger, heavier & tighter buds. It neither enhances nor diminishes the "high". The buds do become relatively more sticky making the bud appear to possess more trichomes than are actually present. Again, for the most part, a resale marketing strategy.

I have known a few growers who claim the use of molasses during the entire growing process enhances the effects even more. I dont necessarily agree because I cant see the actual nutritional properties and values of molasses being relative in the plant's early growth stages which is to say, the gooey mix doesnt contain the nitrogen, phosphorus or potash vital to the plant's early life. My opinion.

So, to sum up. If youre into resale, molasses is a marketing must. If youre "little johnny growin in mom's closet" so you can smoke a little while watching Scooby Do, you can get by without it but the fact it's relatively simple to use and overdoses are rare if at all and the usage benefits are certainly there in regard to greater yields, flavor and the "look"...MF
    Meddiefreddie's "Weedpatch" Blog

Captains Log Star Date 9-29 The Borg/bug Wars (Home of Area 51)

"I've got 20/20 vision and the world wears bifocals..."Butch Cassidy
    "High times and green grass forever..." the Outlaws
    "I Used To Farm For A Living, Now I'm In The Growin' Trade..." L. Helm
    "Life is what happens while you're busy making plans..."Gumby

I have heard of people using molasses during the whole growth cycle and agree that it probably doesn't really help that much, plants need much more than sugars alone. I can tell you from experience, in soiless grows when you add some form of carbohydrate to the water during the flushing process that it does make a difference, giving them a last little boost before they are limited to water alone. In an organic soil grow, I kind of agree with Medifreddie that it only increases "bag appeal", since most of the nutes are in the soil already. I learned a few years back about giving your plants 36 hours of darkness, and a little ice water in the last few flushes, and that last stressing seems to do a lot more toward increasing the final resin production than the carbs alone.
    aero420

"Conventional wisdom dictates that if the people lead then our political leaders will follow. Of course, when it comes to marijuana law reform, conventional wisdom seldom applies."-By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

Wow medifreddie, nice SWAG, why is it that those with the least knowledge come up with the most misinformed pretentiousness, try reading then make your BS analogy based on which emotion you guide your wisdom with.Damn this early sneak a toke of MK makes you speak yur mind!!!! Sorry dude I'm sure you"re really cool and knowledgeable. PEACE OUT..

Oh and medi check out the PENN ST. study 2007 turfgrass research report released JAN 08 its all about efficiency of the microorganisms that feed your plants. I don't know it, doesn't feel wrong. We all want the best. And just FYI commercial endeavors are not always evil in intent or purpose. My people LOVE and depend on me and my attention to detail and quality, in fact they demand it..

Blog Entries

Question Re: Molasses for stickier buds?

SO MEDIFREDDIE WHY WOULD you not use molasses............. I don't know about everyone else but isn't that the reason we go to all the trouble to grows these little ladies into BIG FAT JUICY STICKY SMELLY BUDS HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: it is organic.... almost impossible to overdose......... sweetin's the bud.... makes it heavier....increases quality and quanity....... what else can you ask of a simple natural organic product that cost pennies per application unlike MOST ALL of the other so called MIRACLE PRODUCTS there is on the market that CLAIM to do the same thing @ 50 60 dollars a qt dont know about you but makes CENTS to me ............... off the soap box over and out

Stay safe and good growing!
    MrCloner420

not impossible to overdose...i found out the hard way...it CAN happen...live and learn... All in moderation

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast