PH testing question

Vaporeyes

im using one of those test indicators that show me the color and range it should be in.Is it a problem or going to become one that I dont know exactly what the PH is?

With all that I have read over the last few months ive learned much here and my baby girls are looking pretty nice thus far.Im at 3 and a half weeks from seed.....Thanks 420!

pH is the measurement that reveals if a solution or medium is acidic or alkaline.

But we just need to concentrate on water and soil. in order to have healthly plant growth we need to maintain a ph in the range of 6.2 to 6.8 in soil and 5.2 to 6.2 in hydro.

Hope thats answers your question?

cannabis plants absorb nutrients best when the conditions are right for them down below here is a chart that show an optimal range for cannabis plants in soil

PH_CHART1.jpg

lol thanks Dean....i understand i need to keep it between a certain range for nute intake. I check it daily and add up or dwn as needed but the GH drops i use dont give me an exact number, if its green to green /yellow im in that zone but not sure exactly where......thats my concern

by the way that last link was scary in regards to all our drinking supply....

lol thanks Dean....i understand i need to keep it between a certain range for nute intake. I check it daily and add up or dwn as needed but the GH drops i use dont give me an exact number, if its green to green /yellow im in that zone but not sure exactly where......thats my concern

Hey Man.

I understand, and also I started with one of those "pool" testing kits. They really aren't great for what you're trying to do. You really need to invest in some kind of meter that will give you a digital read of your PH, and while you're at it, you should probably get a dual meter that provide PH and PPM or EC.

That $5.00 kit that you are using are great for a quick estimate of your PH but for hydroponic applications, you really need to invest in a meter.

And just a fyi, you really don't need to test your PH everyday. Just get it "dialed-in" when you mix a fresh batch of water and nutes, then expect it to rise until your next change. Dean put up a great chart of the absorption at different PH values. If you need to "top-off" your res during the week, just PH balance the water (no more nutes) and add that to your reservoir.

Hope this makes sense.

S.F.

Hey Man.

I understand, and also I started with one of those "pool" testing kits. They really aren't great for what you're trying to do. You really need to invest in some kind of meter that will give you a digital read of your PH, and while you're at it, you should probably get a dual meter that provide PH and PPM or EC.

That $5.00 kit that you are using are great for a quick estimate of your PH but for hydroponic applications, you really need to invest in a meter.

And just a fyi, you really don't need to test your PH everyday. Just get it "dialed-in" when you mix a fresh batch of water and nutes, then expect it to rise until your next change. Dean put up a great chart of the absorption at different PH values. If you need to "top-off" your res during the week, just PH balance the water (no more nutes) and add that to your reservoir.

Hope this makes sense.

S.F.

Love the name Stink and much appreciated, yes that does make sense..time to hit the hydro shop..

Yea a pen is the only way to go Vaporeyes, I use nova series and it is dark and I also have the GH drips but no way of really telling what the ph is with your nutes cause it is already so dark. I guess I just used the drips now to see if my meter is accurate. I have the hanna combo pen, I got off ebay for $130. but then you also need all th caleb solutions but well worth it to know your exact measurement instead of relying on a color change. well good luck.

Hey Dog, thanks man....So far im just wingin it with gh drop solution to check. i just switched over to nova this week. When i went to check the ph and saw the color of the water i thought there was going to be an issue as well but 5 drops seem to been enough to distinguish. So far so good, looking good and stacking like crazy through veg..

Hey do you need to recal your ppm pen every time you use it?

Thanks again and happy holidays 420!

I usually recalebrate my pen every 30 days unless I question it being off but then you can just use the solutions to see if it is on instead. For instance the solutions I use to caleb my ph are 4.0 and 7.1. So if I check the ph in the 7.1 solution it should come out exactly that 7.1 if it is accurate and the same goes for the ppm solutions. good to hear your plants are charging.. gl

Hi, with a soil grow do you check the pH of the soil, the water you're adding, the run off after watering or all of the above? Can you check your water with a digital pH soil meter? Lastly, if you need to buy separate meters, but can only purchase one, which is most important to check, soil or water?

Thanks!

H2O runoff is what you should check.
Not sure about the soil meter for H2O.
I would go with a H2O PH (Potential Hydrogen) meter b/c with it you can check H2O b4 you add to see what you're giving the plant and you can also check the runoff (what your plant is drinking), and regulate to get your PH on target.

Also Check out on You tube Jason0930
he is a fountain of info on what ur asking and more you will be well prepared after just a few of his vids. great luck to you!!!

Hi, with a soil grow do you check the pH of the soil, the water you're adding, the run off after watering or all of the above? Can you check your water with a digital pH soil meter? Lastly, if you need to buy separate meters, but can only purchase one, which is most important to check, soil or water?

Thanks!

You need to check the ph of your feeding mix and adjust as needed every time you feed. you also need to know the tds (total dissolved solids) in ppm (parts per million) of your nutrient mix. you also need to occasionally check your run-off ph (not your soil). there are numerous combo meters out there that will measure ph and tds. :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom