Leave plants in dark before harvesting?

Char37

I'm ready to take down my plants and heard about leaving them in the dark for 48-72 hrs. right before cutting them down? Does anyone know about this and why? I just gave them there last drink last night so I wonder should I leave the lights off now? or wait till the soil is somewhat dry? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx JapanF...Its indoor dirt grow, dont know if I'll bother with the dark theory, from what I've tried its already good smoke but maybe I'll try a couple of plants & see if it make a difference

i guess i have to be the oddball of the bunch, but i do it.... and i recommend it too. it started when i tried growing some White Widow from Nirvana a couple years ago. i was having probs getting the crystals i thought i should be having, so i reached out to them for help. i received this in an e-mail from them:

Vegetative Time: At least 2 to 4 weeks if on Bio. On Hydro it is only recommended to grow it for 2 weeks.

Flowering Time: On both mediums it is suggested to flower (12 hour light) the White Widow for 8 weeks, but 10 weeks will really give you the crystals you are after. We suggest the final 2 weeks of the flowering cycle to turn the lights off altogether - or at least down to 8 hours. This keeps the flowers from regrowth and stresses the plant into giving up its last drop of goodness as crystal to protect the flower...try it!

Type: Indica - Sativa mix
Climate: indoor
Yield: 450 gr/m2
Plant height: 35 - 60 cm
Flowering time: 8 weeks
Harverst month: begin september
Stoned type: extreme high
THC level: strong 20% - 25%
Difficulty: moderate

so i tried it.... but TWO WEEKS?? that scared the crap out of me..... but i did it anyways, and i will forever be glad i did.

i have never left another strain in the dark THAT long again, but EVERY plant i harvest sits in the dark for AT LEAST 3 days (i think it takes at least 5 to see results) before going under the knife. im not a scientist..... and i can't rewind the plants internal clock and finish each plant both ways obviously.... but IMO it definitely helps. especially if you are harvesting a little early for any reason. (medical grow restrictions, or pure anxiousness) it really does make the plant think it is nearing the end of life, so it will stop any new growth on the tops and concentrate on producing crystals in one last ditch effort to catch a pollen spore before it dies.

---this is one of those "personal opinion" questions.... i have never seen any actual studies done.... but i have seen my own personal experience.

Interesting info.

I will definatly try for 5-7 days I will post before and after pics with camera micro and eyeclops close ups

Plant's store nutrients in their root system during dark periods.... in other words, harvesting in the dark after a day or two of lights out will ensure any leftover nutrients are stored in the roots apposed to your plant.... it WILL result in a cleaner, smoother "smoke" (this is not the case for auto-flower's tho).... it has absolutely nothing to do with potency. 20 years of working with the cannabis plant has given me hands on experience, not "hearsay"

Plant's store nutrients in their root system during dark periods.... in other words, harvesting in the dark after a day or two of lights out will ensure any leftover nutrients are stored in the roots apposed to your plant.... it WILL result in a cleaner, smoother "smoke" (this is not the case for auto-flower's tho).... it has absolutely nothing to do with potency. 20 years of working with the cannabis plant has given me hands on experience, not "hearsay"

Why isn't this the case for autoflowers?? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Why isn't this the case for autoflowers?? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
urggg I just spent almost an hour explaining this and apparently I typed it in the wrong box! I typed it under "Message" and now I don't know where to respond? I was asked by a major seed supplier in BC to partake in these forum's.... but I refusee to waste my tI'm if you guys can't get your shit together.... what a mess. I will get back to you on your question tomorrow tho, I'm just really not happy that I spent an hour explaining something that I can't share... not happy

urggg I just spent almost an hour explaining this and apparently I typed it in the wrong box! I typed it under "Message" and now I don't know where to respond? I was asked by a major seed supplier in BC to partake in these forum's.... but I refusee to waste my tI'm if you guys can't get your shit together.... what a mess. I will get back to you on your question tomorrow tho, I'm just really not happy that I spent an hour explaining something that I can't share... not happy

Nooooo way! Dude that sucks! Thats why I usually only use grasscity forums, their app/site seems like the best. Ill await your reply before I do anything lol

I think it may be because autoflowers have slightly different needs they run on age instead of light timing but im not 100% sure

Sent from my NEM-L51 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I knew this was the case for general growth of autoflowers but I didn't know it would also apply to finishing times/harvest. I read that they can be tricky, honestly can't wait to start my new cotton candy photos from delicious seeds!

I don't need the hour long explanation I'm just curious if it will hurt my autos to leave them in the dark? If so I'm just going to cut them down already!

I'm not trying to piss U off...U seem to have that covered...lolool...was the message sent?...if so, I would think that it may be retrievable!??...You could approach one of the Mods and they may be able to help...I'm guessing it was from a phone?...seems most problems happen to peeps using the App...however I did some bonehead move on a lengthy post once using my puter...Frustrating fer' sure!!hope you see a resolve...if not...don't let it sour you on the Mag...it's a great place...with great people(OMG...did I just sound like DT!!??:yikes:)lolool...Cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

Back
Top Bottom