Thread: Leave plants in dark before harvesting?

Leave plants in dark before harvesting?

I'm ready to take down my plants and heard about leaving them in the dark for 48-72 hrs. right before cutting them down? Does anyone know about this and why? I just gave them there last drink last night so I wonder should I leave the lights off now? or wait till the soil is somewhat dry? Any advice would be appreciated.

re: Leave plants in dark before harvesting?

Thanx JapanF...Its indoor dirt grow, dont know if I'll bother with the dark theory, from what I've tried its already good smoke but maybe I'll try a couple of plants & see if it make a difference

IMHO, it does not help.

Somewhere up top, by the carbon scrubber, looking down on everything.

i guess i have to be the oddball of the bunch, but i do it.... and i recommend it too. it started when i tried growing some White Widow from Nirvana a couple years ago. i was having probs getting the crystals i thought i should be having, so i reached out to them for help. i received this in an e-mail from them:

Vegetative Time: At least 2 to 4 weeks if on Bio. On Hydro it is only recommended to grow it for 2 weeks.

Flowering Time: On both mediums it is suggested to flower (12 hour light) the White Widow for 8 weeks, but 10 weeks will really give you the crystals you are after. We suggest the final 2 weeks of the flowering cycle to turn the lights off altogether - or at least down to 8 hours. This keeps the flowers from regrowth and stresses the plant into giving up its last drop of goodness as crystal to protect the flower...try it!

Type: Indica - Sativa mix
    Climate: indoor
    Yield: 450 gr/m2
    Plant height: 35 - 60 cm
    Flowering time: 8 weeks
    Harverst month: begin september
    Stoned type: extreme high
    THC level: strong 20% - 25%
    Difficulty: moderate

so i tried it.... but TWO WEEKS?? that scared the crap out of me..... but i did it anyways, and i will forever be glad i did.

i have never left another strain in the dark THAT long again, but EVERY plant i harvest sits in the dark for AT LEAST 3 days (i think it takes at least 5 to see results) before going under the knife. im not a scientist..... and i can't rewind the plants internal clock and finish each plant both ways obviously.... but IMO it definitely helps. especially if you are harvesting a little early for any reason. (medical grow restrictions, or pure anxiousness) it really does make the plant think it is nearing the end of life, so it will stop any new growth on the tops and concentrate on producing crystals in one last ditch effort to catch a pollen spore before it dies.

---this is one of those "personal opinion" questions.... i have never seen any actual studies done.... but i have seen my own personal experience.
    I AM A LEGAL AND REGISTERED CAREGIVER IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN.

I GROW WITH BUBBLES

Interesting info.

I will definatly try for 5-7 days I will post before and after pics with camera micro and eyeclops close ups

Right on Sprouts! that would be really cool to see

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Sprouts McGee View Post
    I will definatly try for 5-7 days I will post before and after pics with camera micro and eyeclops close ups
    That will be great to see....

I can vouch for leaving the lights off if you want to ripen your buds!