Fluorescent closet grow

Oregongrown69

Hi, just joined this site and am a new grower. My father actually has his OMMP card and were currently growing in my closet, my father was broke at the time he got his card so I bought two dual bulb fluorescent lights each w/ 2 40W watt bulbs. At the moment i have one plant i just put into flowering and 4 other starts going, this is my first time growing and was wondering how good these will grow my plants and if im just wasting my time with them and should just move up to a 250 watt MH or HPS. The plant did great in the veggie stage but im worried that with just those the bud production will be small and not very potent. Im looking for any advice i can get so i dont waste my time growing crappy plants :roorrip:

Those Home Depot type of dual fluorescent tubes work great in veg, but I would recommend that you spend the money one time and find a digital 400 watt ballast and aircooled hood. If that's not possible try and find a 400W magnetic ballast and aircooled hood. You should be able find one for less than $100. If ur really on a tight budget, CFLs (compact florescent) are a viable option. Chack out a member named Lil Neutrino in the photo gallery got to members gallery and enter his name. I just commented on a pic of his CFL setup in flower. Matter of fact here's the link> https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/5-15-10_045_rsz.jpg good luck, :peace:

yea, i guess ill just have to start saving, we currently have a 1000W MH sitting underneath our kitchen table but its set up for 220v outlet wich we dont have and we coudlnt afford the electricity run the thing either.

Oregongrown69 it coast abot 65$ a mount for a 1000w on 18/6 depending how much is the electricity....pluss you need a sir flow system...

yea, i guess ill just have to start saving, we currently have a 1000W MH sitting underneath our kitchen table but its set up for 220v outlet wich we dont have and we coudlnt afford the electricity run the thing either.

If you can't afford it, that is ok. CFL's can grow a decent harvest. Nothing like a HPS can, but very do able.

Make sure when you are saying 40 watts, it isn't the equivalent rating you are reading. A 13 watt CFL isn't going to work. If they are 40 watts, add four or five more. Sometimes you can find them in 6/8 packs at a good price.

You should also read this:
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Good luck, keep the faith,
Prairie

Well mine arent just regular little ones have four, 48 inch ones that are in their own little balist, their ment to be like shop lights.:morenutes:

Well mine arent just regular little ones have four, 48 inch ones that are in their own little balist, their ment to be like shop lights.:morenutes:

i have 2 shop lights with 4 6500k bulbs and 2 150watt cfls at2700k and everything is going great but thats my veg area .this would probebly do start to finish but i recomend an upgrade to hps for flowering . checkout the tutorials listed in the begining of faq like the joy of growing or everything you need to know. good luck :smokin:

If you can't afford it, that is ok. CFL's can grow a decent harvest. Nothing like a HPS can, but very do able.

Make sure when you are saying 40 watts, it isn't the equivalent rating you are reading. A 13 watt CFL isn't going to work. If they are 40 watts, add four or five more. Sometimes you can find them in 6/8 packs at a good price.

You should also read this:
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Good luck, keep the faith,
Prairie

sorry prairie poet igeuss i just said pretty much the same thing

Oregon

The key is keeping them close to the light. I grew plant from Oaxacan seeds (countless seeds in a big bud in the old days) many many years ago in a very shallow closet. was just big enough to fit a 4ft flouro shop light. Split the plant one time. Trained it along a thin piece of bamboo. The shoots along the main stems shot up to the bulbs. It turned out great. The pot was a 8in wick planter by Rubbermaid. Of course they don't make them any more...grrr. Excellent for shelf grow. Max potential for one plant with some careful pruning and training.

its a crude drawing, but something like this

TOG1.jpg

huh, i just let mine grow were they wanted but ill have to try that with some, approximently how much did you get after it was completely cured im curious on how much ill get.

I dont know how much hash hond got.but I with fin youll grow at least30% more ! bending sure helps to or lst.good luck:goodluck:

distance of light is big.also

Not sure, was about 20 yrs ago, but I'm thinking just under an oz if I recall.

You have to keep playing with the LST and keep the light about 2"-4" from each top.

You can see the effects of some recent LST in my first journal below. Really makes for some interesting bud formation.

Only used MG ferts in those days, flushed good the last week and tasted ok to me. The stone was at least as good as the bud it came from. Everyone I turned on to it loved it.

Good Luck

Lookin good. Never seen regular flouros used to bloom. Without side lighting I anticipate u harvesting majority popcorn buds. consider adding a few CFLs to bring light to the lower limbs/bud sites. If this isn't feasible, you may want to consider trimming the majority of the lower BUDSITES only (not the fan leaves) so your plant can focus most of its energy on growing the fattest buds at the upper portion of the canopy closest to the light. Also you may want to LST (low stress train) or super crop the upper growth shoots and tie them down. This will allow more budsites in the mid and upper canopy to receive direct light as well as grow vertically with little to no fan leaves obstructing the path of the light. These are weak lights so I wish you would seriously consider this suggestion to maximize production under these circumstances. If your unfamiliar with LST(ing) or supercropping use the search feature and search the forums and threads to learn as much as you can about these growing techniques. They are very valuable. My 2 cent :peace:

huh, yeah ill do anything to increase the maximun yeild ill have to do alot o research tonight :nomo:, thanks for the tip everything helps, lemme know if you ahve any other ideas ill try that and take some more pics and see what u guys think :) :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom