3x3x5 grow tent ventilation? please help

coolcurt13

so i bought a grow tent that is 3x3x5 and was wondering whats the best way to ventilate this. `was told to put a canfan 50(size) to a 6'' inline fan then duct work to the hood then more duct work from other side of hood to outside the tent. i dont know much about passive intake and negative pressure,ect so i guess my real question is whats the best way to vent a 3x3x5 tent that im putting a 1000wt air cooled reflector(not a cooltube) inside of?
was told this is a good way to do it-

You could do this.... passive air intake -> air in tent
carbon filter -> inline fan -> ducting to air cooled hood -> ducting from hood to outside of tent.

OR carbon filter -> ducting to hood -> ducting from hood to inline fan -> ducting going out of tent.

can i put carbon filter inside the tent, hook a 6'' inline fan to it, then attach fan to air cooled hood with duct work, then on the other open end of the hood attach more duct work goin outside of tent?

or can i put duct work to one end of the hood (leaving the other end open to pull air threw the hood), then attach a carbon filter to the duct work then a 6'' fan then duct work out of tent? so it would go - hood>ductwork>carbon filter>6'' fan>duct work leading out of tent?

again im new to ventilation/heat problems. right now i have 400wt hood in a 3.5'x4.5'x7' closet and with the door fully closet it gets to about 85-90 degrees. so i keep the door propped open a lil and this drops the room to about 76-80 degrees. i wanted to put the 1000wt hood in the same closet instead of the 400wt but cant properly vent the clsoet so i bought the 3x3x5 tent cause i heard id get better results with a properly ventilated room. is 1000wts overkill for a 3x3x5? i heard its perfect IF i can properly vent.

thanks on any info and am lookin forward to starting a grow journal asap

Re: 3x3x5 grow tent ventilation ???? please help

lol 78 views and not one reply? im at a stand still till i figure this out please help

You'd probably be fine with just a carbon filter ventilating out, your temps would most likely be fine.

Otherwise always having a fan pull air through the hood is the way to do it. So having a fan connected to one side of the hood pulling air, with ducting on both ends of the hood so its pulling air from outside thru to the outside.

Some people hang their carbon filter close to the hood then attach ducting from filter to hood, with a fan on the hood pulling thru the carbon filter and out the tent.

so i can attach an inline fan directly to the hood on one side?
so i can hang the carbon filter from the top of the tent, then connect duct work to it then to the hood. then a fan directly to the other open end of the hood to duct work exiting the tent? i know many 6'' inline fans come with different size cfm for a 3x3x5 thats 45 cubic feet. what size 6" fan should i bough? dont want to suck the tent off its frame... and thanks again for the info

The sunleaves six inch inline fan should work fine. It's 160 CFM so that's plenty.

Or like I said just exhaust from the carbon filter and you probably won't even need to cool through the light, I've done this before in a 4x4.

a 4" sunleaves inline is 60 cfm

Or like I said just exhaust from the carbon filter

so should i hang the carbon filter from the top of tent (out of the way of the light of coarse) and attach a 6'' fan to it then duct work out of the tent? will this just naturally pull the heat from inside the hood up into the carbon filter and up and out? im thinking 1000wts in a 3x3x5 is alot of heat and that heat from the hood should be pulled up and out of the tent!??

Oh my bad I didn't notice you were messing with a 1000w. That's most likely going to be too hot for your size tent. I would go with a dimmable ballast if your going to do that so you can make easy adjustments.

Otherwise get a 400w

actually i do have a dimmable ballast. 500wt,750wt, and 1000wt. and i also have a 400wt ballast that i was using but heard 1000wts would give superior results in 3x3x5 compared to the 400wt. im planning on setting up the tent with the 1000w ballast/bulb set up and just workin my way from 1000w down to 500w and record the max tent temp and if 500w is still over 82 degrees ill try the 400w.

Check One of my Links in My Signature

so i bought a grow tent that is 3x3x5 and was wondering whats the best way to ventilate this. `thanks on any info and am lookin forward to starting a grow journal asap

Click one of my journal links in my signature. The "BWC's FLO Hut (bombed)" was a tent grow. I believe I show the fan, hood, and ducting. In BWC's LArgest Solo Grow To Date" there are pics of ventilation in a room but they are good pics. Also dealt with negative pressure. People aren't responding because ur post is a long read, you're askin a lot, and u can search the threads to find basic info on ur own esp if u really want to start a journal. I spent at least a weeks worth of time (cumulatively) reading threads and posts on this site over the years. I still read for hours here sometimes. Plenty of great info here. Not saying u are because I don't know you, but don't be lazy gathering info for ur grow if ur serious. Do for self. Hope some of this helps you in the future. By the way in a tent that small I'd do a 400W-600W HPS tops. 1000W will be cookin and requires more distance between hood and plant canopy. Good luck, happy growing, :peace:

say i use the 400w. go with a 6'' fan? how many cfm? how do i figure out how many times i need to empty the air in that tent?

Your tent is 3x3x5 so you have 45 cubic feet. Find a fan that is 45 or more CFM, this will move exchange the air completely every minute, usually every five minutes or below is ideal.

Size of fan will depend on the size of your duct holes in the tent and/or the size of your air-cooled reflect if you're using one.

Do as BWC said and read the How to Grow section, all the answers to the questions you've asked are there.

above 95dgf will slow flowering down as with most any type of fruit or vegitable. cooler then 10dgf soil/hydro dif to your growing space temp will give really good results. venalation is a must for indoor growing. and useing carbond filters a must for the exhaust side. also a filter for intake a must as well to keep bugs and bios out.
my system uses air from a small bathroom fan[cheep] pulling from my bedroom to bring in the co2 plants use with out haveing the need for a co2 system and i exhaust from the grow room to attic useing the same type of bathroom exhaust fan with a large carbon filter.
i keep a positive presure in the space it keeps out bugs and bios and very small fans for light cooling which is not a big problem for me i use 1 gallon plastic pots surounded with spot[cloth pots.] it gives me natural evep cooling to root system. i use what is called[old school] pyroponics recirculating drip resivoir system.
it has all the advantages of hydro/areoponics and soil all in one. lmao. i have a 3x3 drip pan on a 4x4 pan holding rack the area for growing is 4x4 i use a screen trelus[scrog] s.o.g. the trelus is 24 inches above the soil line.
there are 25 1 gallon pots each surounded with the spot pots so each pot has its own evap cooling. also each pot has its on dripper.and is pumped into from resivoir [20 gal] and drips back into resivour the drip system is on a timmer and water is on and off throughout the 24 day. i run the system at nigght early evening to late morning when elactricity is the cheepist.i have 2 small fans one on each side pointing up towards lighting to keep the plants strong and lighting cool. all ventalation should be intake low and exhaust high or seperated by distance. co2 is heavy so many growers like to pump from above.[big wastse of time.] if your space is vented properly you exhaust will draw up all your plants need. i use co2 as an emergency bug killer method. just flood the space for 36 hrs and all bugs die.just stay out of the room and ventalate before you enter. co2 kills you as well. if you can do the math 20% co2 concentration in the grow space will kill all the bugs in 36 hrs. but just for your info. a full grown cat puts out enough extra co2 in your space for any system 5x5 or smaller. your plants wont intake more just cause you add more. so just put air in from bottom and exhaust out from the top if you can pipe it thru the lights too to help cool great. all the big hood systems have a heat issue[problem] hydro stores online stores and the industry as a whole love for you to purchase stuff you really dont need to grow wonderfull killer big ass buds. a very simple system works the best.you should have 2 temp and humidity meters i use 3 one for the top one for the bottom one for the growing medium. my system is very simple but has alot of extras to it. it is very effeceint and produces more in less time then most beleave i can do.[they dont know shit] if you want a really good book that is very basic and 95% mostly correct. FOR FREE. down load the wiki or copy and pastse it. there is a ton of info that is real easy to understand. and everything else you test and try.and ask like crazy people who been doing it awhile.
filter for intake can bee a pleated filter you can buy anywhere or even aqurium filter medium the white cloth like stuuf for cheep. the microns are really good. if your in a high mold area get a uv air purifier hooked up for intake air. they even sell them for water purification too but you dont want them in the water system just for new water added.

I have a 4x4x8 tent and only running 600 hps but i got a 6" carbon and fan.. but i have a controller on my fan to speed it up or down.. so that helps alot..

One time i had the air vent through the filter and out into the house and it had a distinct smell of vegetation.. wasn't a cannibis smell just smell of plants.. now i'm going through the filter and straight outside up the main hvac pipe up through the attic.. and havent notice any smell at all.. and no heat. just my 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom