The cause of purple stems

ridejeep2005

Just that, what cause's the stems to turn purple. Growing sour d. Is it just a colder temp the plant is not use to, or can it just be any type of stress? like spraying azamax at to high of a dose? thanks and lots more ? to come:thanks:

Some people say it is stress. I have a strain (G13 / Haze) that shows purple stems at all times. Veg, clone flower all phases you can find a purple or red stem. My last harvest was great so I dont think they were stressed the whole time.

Everything I've heard it has to due with temp in more cases. If you surround the stem in ice daily in the last few weeks of growth your stems and even some bud will turn purple. I have not experienced this myself but I have been told this by grower friends I have.

Most of the time it is just the strain that has purple stems or colder environment temps. There is one other reason that can cause purple stem and that is the lack of cal-mag. It won't cause all the stems to turn purple, just the new growth. Best way to tell would be to look at the leaves on the outside and look for yellowing that turns brown. This would mean your plant needs more cal-mag. Just my 2 cents....

CGs

Most of the time it is just the strain that has purple stems or colder environment temps. There is one other reason that can cause purple stem and that is the lack of cal-mag. It won't cause all the stems to turn purple, just the new growth. Best way to tell would be to look at the leaves on the outside and look for yellowing that turns brown. This would mean your plant needs more cal-mag. Just my 2 cents....

CGs

Could be phosphorus if it starts low.
Could really be anything though. Heat, cold, stress, genetics, nute deficiency of some sort (many possible). Could be toxic in one thing, which in turn locks out something else. Need more info. :)
I'm currently harvesting about 30 sour diesel, seems like the taller pheno was much more finicky for me. I think i had too much calcium between my tap water and the CaMg+ I use in my coco grow. The taller ones have a pretty bad lockout as a result. Something immobile, as its up high, but doesnt look like mag. Looks more like a sulphur def.
Anyway, all the tall sours had purple petioles.

I read that only females have red stems and that is an early detection method for females and males if the phenotype has the characteristics but it could also be hog wash:bongrip:

Could be phosphorus if it starts low.
Could really be anything though. Heat, cold, stress, genetics, nute deficiency of some sort (many possible). Could be toxic in one thing, which in turn locks out something else. Need more info. :)
I'm currently harvesting about 30 sour diesel, seems like the taller pheno was much more finicky for me. I think i had too much calcium between my tap water and the CaMg+ I use in my coco grow. The taller ones have a pretty bad lockout as a result. Something immobile, as its up high, but doesnt look like mag. Looks more like a sulphur def.
Anyway, all the tall sours had purple petioles.

Thanks man! hasn't got to cold in my room so thats why I got a little worried. Like I said I just used azamax so hopefully that was just it. No more spider mites tho. My bigger babies showed less sign of it compared to my smaller ones. been a couple days and the bigger ones look like the purple is stoping, or receded on some, new growth looks good but ill see shortly. Thanks again

2nd_grow_of_the_summer_This_is_either_Master_Kush_or_Wonder_Woman_Lost_tag_8_2.JPG
2nd_grow_of_the_summer_This_is_either_Master_Kush_or_Wonder_Woman_Lost_tag_8_2.JPG
Aloha,
I had the same thing going on with a few of my plants and read and asked other growers and all read and what was posted was a nute deficuentcy. Coukd be , Boron, iron, calcium. Or so many others I just gave it pro-cal 3 times a week apart and they got better but some bravches stayed red. Most said could be genetics or the strain. As long as your plants are healthy, I stopped worring about it. To many "could be deficiencies". I am just going on with the same schedule and keeping it green. Sorry I could not pin point the problem but I am with you. These plants developed about 1/3 purple stems and it was alright. Just keep on a feed schedule, a regular one. Don't jump all around. If it is every 2 weeks keep it at every 2 week. Hope this helped. Better to spray azomax once a week lightly for a month than to go heavy once. Aloha and GL

Aloha,
I had the same thing going on with a few of my plants and read and asked other growers and all read and what was posted was a nute deficuentcy. Coukd be , Boron, iron, calcium. Or so many others I just gave it pro-cal 3 times a week apart and they got better but some bravches stayed red. Most said could be genetics or the strain. As long as your plants are healthy, I stopped worring about it. To many "could be deficiencies". I am just going on with the same schedule and keeping it green. Sorry I could not pin point the problem but I am with you. These plants developed about 1/3 purple stems and it was alright. Just keep on a feed schedule, a regular one. Don't jump all around. If it is every 2 weeks keep it at every 2 week. Hope this helped. Better to spray azomax once a week lightly for a month than to go heavy once. Aloha and GL
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920P using 420

Back
Top Bottom