Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub Knows

Thread: The cause of purple stems

Question The cause of purple stems

Just that, what cause's the stems to turn purple. Growing sour d. Is it just a colder temp the plant is not use to, or can it just be any type of stress? like spraying azamax at to high of a dose? thanks and lots more ? to come

Re: the cause of purple stems

Thanks for posting

420 Member

Some people say it is stress. I have a strain (G13 / Haze) that shows purple stems at all times. Veg, clone flower all phases you can find a purple or red stem. My last harvest was great so I dont think they were stressed the whole time.

i had a feeling this may have been the reason my my clone to hermi half way threw flower.(too much heat)
    WINNING!!!!! :

Re: The cause of purple stems

Everything I've heard it has to due with temp in more cases. If you surround the stem in ice daily in the last few weeks of growth your stems and even some bud will turn purple. I have not experienced this myself but I have been told this by grower friends I have.
    Nature's way of saying High!

420 Member

Most of the time it is just the strain that has purple stems or colder environment temps. There is one other reason that can cause purple stem and that is the lack of cal-mag. It won't cause all the stems to turn purple, just the new growth. Best way to tell would be to look at the leaves on the outside and look for yellowing that turns brown. This would mean your plant needs more cal-mag. Just my 2 cents....

CGs

Quote Originally Posted by Caregivers View Post
    Most of the time it is just the strain that has purple stems or colder environment temps. There is one other reason that can cause purple stem and that is the lack of cal-mag. It won't cause all the stems to turn purple, just the new growth. Best way to tell would be to look at the leaves on the outside and look for yellowing that turns brown. This would mean your plant needs more cal-mag. Just my 2 cents....

CGs
    Could be phosphorus if it starts low.
    Could really be anything though. Heat, cold, stress, genetics, nute deficiency of some sort (many possible). Could be toxic in one thing, which in turn locks out something else. Need more info.
    I'm currently harvesting about 30 sour diesel, seems like the taller pheno was much more finicky for me. I think i had too much calcium between my tap water and the CaMg+ I use in my coco grow. The taller ones have a pretty bad lockout as a result. Something immobile, as its up high, but doesnt look like mag. Looks more like a sulphur def.
    Anyway, all the tall sours had purple petioles.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured, lol..." - Benjamin "Buds" Franklin, weighing in on prevention

I read that only females have red stems and that is an early detection method for females and males if the phenotype has the characteristics but it could also be hog wash

Quote Originally Posted by Snub Knows View Post
    Could be phosphorus if it starts low.
    Could really be anything though. Heat, cold, stress, genetics, nute deficiency of some sort (many possible). Could be toxic in one thing, which in turn locks out something else. Need more info.
    I'm currently harvesting about 30 sour diesel, seems like the taller pheno was much more finicky for me. I think i had too much calcium between my tap water and the CaMg+ I use in my coco grow. The taller ones have a pretty bad lockout as a result. Something immobile, as its up high, but doesnt look like mag. Looks more like a sulphur def.
    Anyway, all the tall sours had purple petioles.
    Thanks man! hasn't got to cold in my room so thats why I got a little worried. Like I said I just used azamax so hopefully that was just it. No more spider mites tho. My bigger babies showed less sign of it compared to my smaller ones. been a couple days and the bigger ones look like the purple is stoping, or receded on some, new growth looks good but ill see shortly. Thanks again