Manipulating Plant Color? And Flavor?

Kush Killer

so ive heard from other growers and read froma diffrent sources conflicting info regaurding manipulating the plants color.. ive heard adding beet juice or prune juice will "dye" or manuipulate" the color to a more purple hue.. i read somewhwere a guy used food coloring and the plants took on that color? has anyone tried this or know anything pertaining to this? next is the issue of flavoring, ive read in several popular grow books that the last 1-3hrs directly before harvest, you can add flavoring extracts and the plants will take on that flavor. a very popluar extract for this is vanilla, they said the fruity extracts contain alot more sugars and thats not good to leave unprocessed before harvest. ANY and ALL inpout is appreaciated

Temperature can greatly effect the color of the plant... I know that as it gets later in the growing season and things start to cool down is when that purple color really begins to show through.

I've gotten most of my indica dominant strains to go purple by dropping the temps into the 60's at night. Kush strains do this really easily.. For taste, you can't do much to change it, but you can enhance it by giving it various nutrients

i use cold temps (no lower than 60) and purple maxx with excellent results but in final 2week cuz these "finishers" are also stressers so easy does it my friend or she will spit bananas on ya 4sho! :goodluck:

Time for some edjumacation TERROIR (ter-wah) French word. No known English translation. Yet there is no mystery about terroir. Everyone -- or at least every place -- has one. Your garden and mine have terroirs; probably several. The front and back of your house almost certainly offer different growing conditions for plants. That is all terroir means.

At its most restrictive the word means soil. By extension, and in common use, it means much more. It embraces the dirt itself, the subsoil beneath it, its physical properties and how they relate to the local climate -- for example how quickly it drains rainwater, whether it reflects sunlight or absorbs its heat. It embraces the lie of the land: its degree of slope, its orientation to the sun, and the tricks of its microclimate that spring from its location and surroundings.

Thus if the foot of a slope is frost-prone, the fact is an aspect of the terroir. Warmth or mist arising from nearby water is another -Cooling afternoon or evening breezes off a body of water, such as is the case in many coastal areas of California, will also have an effect. An east slope that catches the morning sun may have identical soil to a west slope that warms up later in the day and holds the evening rays: its terroir is different --Making the things grown in it taste different. Its no mystery.
I experimented with Rose and Mint planted next to my crop, the buds have a distinct flavor, all the characteristics of its phenom along with a hint of rose and a minty finish. Next year I am trying strawberries.:peace:

Ha smoked 2 j's .....I just smoked up and read your last post.....haaa....what???...I'm going to have to wait I'll I sober up a moment to read through it again......word...:hippy:

I've also heard that there three or so ways to that change the color of your buds: additives, low temperatures, and phenotype/genetics of the strain itself.

anyone tried food coloring? or flavor extracts? this guy swears up and down they both work, but he isnt in a situation to show/prove this to me so im looking for someone who has tried this to see if it works or not. i know/knew lower temps can influnce the purple color, hell the weeds in my back yeard right now are deep purple due to the climate changing and we are now in to 30* weather at nite..

Thats AWESOME smoke2J's!

I wana do some experimenting like that. :)

Its easy, just plant the "Flavor" plant(s) in the ground next to it, or in the same pot. I am hoping that strawberries will work too. I had a friend call me the day after I gave her some SLH . quote "I can taste the rose, along with the usual SLH flavor with a mint finish. Oh my gods its the most complex bud ever, great fucking job!"
So I would say go for it. This will change the way you grow your weed.:peace:

OKAY so color, p def and cold temps at night can cause purp on almost all strains.
Recently I have seen purple buds from some regularily green strains. For example GC X Tai was purple, and it was noted on there that the last 3 weeks beforehand, temps were from 55-63 F at night. The stuff was purp. lol.

Second, Additives to the soil cause flavoring issues but the most effective way to gain taste is during the cure. Adding mango and strawberry juice instead of water for the last week during the flush gets me there every time. and for a while i just added sugar water, cheaper.

I don't know about the vanilla thing but I wouldn;t do t.

My buddy blends up bannanna smoothies and pours blended fruit into his soil. Watch the gnats go crazy. lol.

Or you can do it how it is usually done. Stick a bunch of lemon rhines into the bag curing your lemon diesel and then remove them afterwards, everybody will say, damn it smell like lemons. and you can then say , yeah, it grew that way.

OKAY so color, p def and cold temps at night can cause purp on almost all strains.
Recently I have seen purple buds from some regularily green strains. For example GC X Tai was purple, and it was noted on there that the last 3 weeks beforehand, temps were from 55-63 F at night. The stuff was purp. lol.

Second, Additives to the soil cause flavoring issues but the most effective way to gain taste is during the cure. Adding mango and strawberry juice instead of water for the last week during the flush gets me there every time. and for a while i just added sugar water, cheaper.

I don't know about the vanilla thing but I wouldn;t do t.

My buddy blends up bannanna smoothies and pours blended fruit into his soil. Watch the gnats go crazy. lol.

Or you can do it how it is usually done. Stick a bunch of lemon rhines into the bag curing your lemon diesel and then remove them afterwards, everybody will say, damn it smell like lemons. and you can then say , yeah, it grew that way.

I was digging your post till I got to the end. I can't get on board with deception. :peace:

well once i get this new grow up and running i think im gonna do some experimenting with this, since i seem to find that its about a 50/50 break on people who think it will work and people whop think it wont work... ill be using vanilla extract, some vanilla white widow sounds delightful

On that last point, I was just illistrating that one major way to affect the flavor change is the orange peel method.

Personally I refuse to do it, and yes it can cause moisture effect, mold. But to keep it out of a discussion of affecting flavor would not be prudent.

I know you can get a wormy/fishy flavor if you use fish-emulsion and superthrive before harvest. That is proven reality. Gotta flush, otherwise it's bad-monkey.

I watched a friend kill off everything with OJ-concentrate the day before harvest one time, the plants looked terrible when he cut them. But they did taste orange- almost throat burning orange-gas.. lol.

I am going to make a vertical airo-pot that has strawberries growing along the sides of it and then something not fruity in it to see if the shared root space = transference of flavor (no juice at end). So I will know about this is 6 months. haha.

Back
Top Bottom