inneofhelp

So I have a hermaphrodite plant which is in the beginning flowering stage and I don't want it to pollenate the buds or take away from the potency of the buds. So I have three questions.

1. Does cutting off all the pollen sacks before they open even do anything/ will it make the plant produce better/ more potent buds?

2. Can cutting off the pollen sacks turn the hermie plant basically female?

3. I have a new plant already started it's just at the seedling stage just started growing the first two leaves. Are hermie plants even worth the time or should I just tear out the hermie now and hope the new plant turns out to be completely female or should I wait it out and see what happens with the hermie?

Please help there is like no info about this on the internet.

I do not know how true (and this could be question #4) is but have read that the seeds from a hermaphrodite plant are feminized. Which seeds as you know tends to produces female plants. I will be anxious to hear any responses.

1. cutting off the pollen sacks will just keep the plant from polinating other plants.
2. No..but if you wanna try something, cut all the branches back past where you see the balls, and put plant back in veg light cycle- after a week or so if no other balls grow out then switch to 12/12 and see what happens..if balls grow back cull it.
3. you can choose to do # 2 or just grow out second plant and clone if you want more than 1 plant--clone a female, get a female. :peace:

Well ok...I got this....my last grow exactly....I spotted the first plant of hermie and chopped it....than two days later noticed another...sht...I actually had a temp issue so .....I as carefully as I could removed the pollen sacks....( this is so crazy)....everyday, ever 8 hrs....( I had skipped a shift and found a couple open sacks)...damn.....but snipped them off.....well even with all that work my buds kept filling up and out ....plenty of tHC still.....but some had the damage already done...(seeds)..but not very bad....I had 3 plants ( out of 9) with no seeds....just nice buds....so ha it did work to some extent...but was so not worth it...I was so discouraged that I kinda just let them finish....so picking does HELP...but doesn't WORK....ha does that make sense?..

1. cutting off the pollen sacks will just keep the plant from polinating other plants.
2. No..but if you wanna try something, cut all the branches back past where you see the balls, and put plant back in veg light cycle- after a week or so if no other balls grow out then switch to 12/12 and see what happens..if balls grow back cull it.
3. you can choose to do # 2 or just grow out second plant and clone if you want more than 1 plant--clone a female, get a female. :peace:

Ledtron,
Do you know if the seeds from a hermaphrodite plant are feminized?

Somewhere In the 9/10 percent range.....so 90% or .90...some say almost 100%...every seed I've planted turned out so.....word

if you have a hermie and it pollinates itself they will be fem'd seeds, that carry the hermie gene and that will hermie on you also..... Have fun with it.... :smokin:

So a hermaphrodite has to be pollenated by a plant that is not itself and/or not a hermaphrodite. Is that right?
Nope, a hermie will pollenate itself, and if pollen from another hermie or male is present it will pollenate the flower as well. Flowers can't distinguish where the pollen came from.

if you have a hermie and it pollinates itself they will be fem'd seeds, that carry the hermie gene and that will hermie on you also..... Have fun with it.... :smokin:
I've seen a plant hermie before due to stress and the seeds from her didn't produce any hermies? Wonder why?

Wait a minute. All the genetics of any seed are passed along no matter where it came from which includes both male and female (and the potential of hermies), but my question is different. Is there a greater (a dominate) chance of a legitimate female when pollenated from another (male) plant other then self pollenating w/ the hermaphrodite it came from? Another words will pollenating a hermaphrodite w/ any male outside of itself be more likely to produce a female? ..... and in fact is that how they get feminized seeds?

looks like BE IRIE has read most of the same articles as me. from my understanding of the research. feminized seeds DO come from hermies, unfortunately the research states that a feminized will hermie itself when put under very little stress. Pretty much, take super good care of your females and they will stay females. so feminized seeds will be guaranteed female. however they will grow balls if you piss them off slightly lol.

According to sources in NorCal, all female plants with the right amount of stress can produce male parts and pollen, that pollen can and will pollenate any female in it's area. It will only produce seed which will be FEMALE. If you grow that seed as stress free as any other it shouldn't produce hermies any more often than any other seed of that strain.. Pollen from 'hermies' is valuable from a cross breeders point of view, much more so than that of a regular male plant. There are strains that can 'hermie' much easier and with less stress, but if ya keep em happy they usually wait for a mate and don't play with themselves.

Old post, I know, but....... Once self-pollinated, will a hermied plant stop producing balls?

Okay. Now I know. I think... I will experiment. Thanks

Well, I found a total of two pollen sacks when trimming my bud tonight. I thought my frozen pollen experiment was the reason for my pollination. That I may have over did it. Seemed none of my pollen was viable after freezing it. My females hermied because I thought it harmless to to visit my females plants a few times during flower with regular lights on during dark time (which I interrupted). Next time I will fondle them only in the dark ... when they're sleeping.
Every bud was seeded. Soooooo so many seeds.
As for the failed pollen experiment, I froze the pollen immediately after collecting it. I read that if it contains too much moisture, it can't be frozen and requires drying first. The reason being: water expands when frozen, causing the pollen to rupture. So, pretty sure MY pollen was not viable.
But I have been saving seeds. Awesome! That they should ALL mostly be female. I was afraid that hermies were totally undesirable.
I am going to see if I can keep the two pollen sacks in an envelope. Dry ... then freeze. Since male hermie spermy is sooooo valuable, I hear.
Thank you 420 forum guys! My hero.

Feminized seeds, FTW, dirtybud. What strain is it? I was thinking of growing some autos and purposely hermy-ing them, get lots of Fem'd auto seeds for a SOG. ;)

Hey Kief, I don't know. I posted pictures of my bag seed strain (if you recall). I don't know what kind of plant it is. And I don't know its potential yet, because once it starts to seed, thc and bud size production cease. But I have some femmed seed that I purchased and will try to stress them or use the colloidial (sp?) silver method to produce my own femmed seed plant. Sounds fun and found online how to make your own silver.
I had a four month old plant and only a one branche made one or two pollen sacs - Right where I went in at night period and shined a bright light on a bud to see the tricomes (mistake!).
To address your previous question: Do pollen sacs continue? For me, I found two pollen sacs while manicuring - still developing on buds and was using it's stored energy to push out pollen sacs - as well as seeds which were continuing to mature on the trimmed seeded buds.
I am still learning, but that is my experience so far. I am not sure if my plant will hermie on it's own this grow. But the experiment goes: Attempt to keep growing conditions consistent as to not piss off mom, and see if a non-stress environment will keep a mother all the way to the end. This plant pollinated only 4 weeks into bud. I want to see what it can really do. Some say its a lemon diesel or haze. Not sure, really. As-is, the result was a seeded high-mids. My seed yield off two plants is like 15-20 seeds each plant of good strong viable specimens.
Heres a really good discussion on Hermies.

I am going to see if I can keep the two pollen sacks in an envelope. Dry ... then freeze. Since male hermie spermy is sooooo valuable, I hear.
Thank you 420 forum guys! My hero.

Hermie pollen is only valuable if you know precisely why the plant hermied. If it did so due only to stress then the pollen can be used on another female to create feminized seeds. If however your conditions were good and the plant hermied all on it's own for no apparent reason then it carries the hermie gene and thus the pollen should be discarded as any children will be hermies themselves.

Back
Top Bottom