Cold weather strains for winter grow

Hi guys. So I am trying to plan ahead for this winter. I shall be growing a bit indoors in my tent. But I also wanted to experiment with some plants that I veg indoors then put outdoors in the dead of winter to flower.

They will be going in 1 foot tall raised garden beds. It will be compost heavy to hopefully generate some heat from the decomposition (compost heaps can get close to 150 degrees for those that do not know) and I will use some shade cloth to cover from snow n frost.

Where I live winters can be very cold. Last year got extreme with a few 10 degree days at night. Its usually more like 35-55 at night and probably like 50-70 daytime.

So my question for all you guys n girls. Have you heard of any extreme cold tolerant strains. So far I have done a lot of googling and have found people say one called SuperSonic, some say ruderallis (autoflower original), and a few have said northern lights originated in Canada.

So if anyone knows good cold weather strains please post. Or simple ideas for growing in the cold :).

Below 55* or so they quit growing completely. A freeze will kill them.

Nothing exists for winter grows outside unless you live in the tropics or sub tropics.

DD

Well i'm not sure about cold weather strains to be honest...

But more likely i would choose a indica dominate strain than a sative due to sative plants orginate from around the equator a much warmer area than where indicas came from.

On the other side you could looking into a green house, poly tunnels & even horticultural fleece to help raise the temps of the growing area, this may include some form of heating like parafin heaters, electric heating cables used in propergation beds, hot air heaters etc for the night time period or even on coooler days.

Due to winter & sun light conditions the sun may not be strong enough this may effect end yield & total qualitie of bud with the plants beginning to flower sooner due to day light hours being shorter.

Well I would have them in 2 raised boxes that are semi close to eachother in a very sunny area in my yard. The boxes would have some sort of cloth or sunscreen or even possibly one of those newer sun screens that are metalic. Its sorta a half assed greenhouse I guess.

I certainly wouldnt do it expecting to get massive colas like normal grows. But maybe its possible.

Only thing I got to lose is some time, water, and a bit of nutes. So I wouldnt be stressed out of it didnt work too well or at all.

At the moment I am still working on my real crops as most are just starting some budding :), and I got 8 more that are vegged and ready to be put outdoors. However once they are all there and ready to roll I shall begin planning for some sort of winter flowering attempt.

I bet some of the purple type strains could be more cold tolerant as I bet one reason they are naturally purple is beecause over the years they grew up in cold climates. So I may try a few different purple strains for this, will also try my Chem D which is just a really hardy easy grow plant with what is looking to be good yields and quality smoke as well. Illl try an auto if I can get my hands on one. Probably also try XXX which is a very easy grow 100% indica strain thats good stuff as well.

If it works this could be a lot of fun.

Nice thread about cold climate strains. I'm also looking at this but could not find a dependable source of seeds for outdoor grows. Swiss Miss, Early Mist, ..are they the same? Any seedbank fro Canada that sell them any can recommend? Thanks

I am doing my first winter grow outdoors in a 10 20 grow-it greenhouse. I have bubbled rapped the interior, co2 generator(camping shower connected to my XGC-1e controller) NG heater to keep it 60 and over. Its dec 26, 13 and plants (60) are doing really good(i'm having rabbit issues). There are six to eight weeks old and 18 to 24 in. Very tight internodal. The plants I ended up with were Hindu kush, I live in the low desert (over 110 in summer, 20-60 temp during winter, very dry). If you look up the Hindu Kush region these plants can take exstream climate changes.

Below 55* or so they quit growing completely. A freeze will kill them.

Nothing exists for winter grows outside unless you live in the tropics or sub tropics.

DD

I live in Colorado, and I finish blooming towards the end of Oct...it gets MUCH colder than 55* at night, and usually about 50 during the day and I only have issues with the more Sativa dominant strains.

Back
Top Bottom