Ployploidy in Marijuana anyone experimenting with it now?

Javahead

I search the forums, & didn't find anything. Now that I've caught up on "auto-Flowering", and a bit more on indicas. I got to wondering about ployploiding pot, and what had been done there.

A quick primer for the kids out there, is here

Polyploids

H.R. Warmke also experimented with breeding programs during the war years. Polyploid Cannabis plants were produced by treatment with the alkaloid colchicine. Colchicine interferes with normal mitosis, the process in which cells are replicated. During replication, the normal doubling of chromosomes occurs, but colchicine prevents normal separation of the chromosomes into two cells. The cell then is left twice (or more then) the normal chromosome count.

Warmke's experiments concluded that polyploids contained higher concentrations of the "active ingredient." However, the procedure for measuring that ingredient was much the same is described for grafting, with probably similar shortcomings.

Polyploid Cannabis has been found to be larger, with larger leaves and flowers. Recent experience has shown that polyploids are not necessarily higher in potency. Usually they are about equal to diploid siblings.

Colchicine is a highly poisonous substance. The simplest and safest way to induce polyploids is to soak seeds in a solution of colchicine derived from bulbs of winter or autumn crocus (Colchicum). Mash the bulbs and add an equal part of water. Strain through filter paper (or paper towels). Soak seeds in the solution and plant when they start to germinate. Cultivate as usual.

Only some of the seeds will become polyploid. Polyploid sprouts generally have thicker stems, and the leaves are often unusually shaped, with uneven-sized blades. Leaves also may contain more than the usual number of blades. As the plant grows, leaves should return to normal form, but continue to be larger and with more blades.

If no polyploids sprout, use less water in preparing the solution.

Colchicine is also a prescribed drug for treatment of gout and is taken in pill form. These usually contain .6 mg per tablet. Use 10 tablets per ounce of water, and soak the seeds as described above.

Colchicine is also sold by mail-order firms which advertise in magazines such as Head or High Times.

Because colchicine is a poison, it should be handled carefully. It is not known if plants from seeds treated with colchicine will contain a harmful amount of colchicine when plants are grown. Harm is unlikely, because the uptake by the seed is so small, and because the colchicine would be further diluted during growth, as well as diminished by smoking. But we cannot guarantee that you can safely smoke colchicine-treated plants.

I found this online, but I *THINK* it's from the The Connoisseur's Handbook of Marijuana, William Daniel Drake Jr.
Erowid Library/Bookstore : 'The Connoisseur's Handbook of Marijuana'

Well I just looked all over the internet, I can't find an Image of a Polyploid plant (grrr). I Have seen them before, maybe in "Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis By Robert Connell Clarke. Marijuana Botany

Anyway, way back in the 70's I read Warmke's research, very cool stuff. The Plants I have seen had maxed at 21 leaves per cluster (7 x 3) or 15 (5 x 3) they looked like a hand of poker card fanned out, just Awesome! The Problem is, you cant smoke the first gen, all poisoned. But You might be able to make clones safely? or for sure do some bomb breeding.

Just wondering about it, it's what we used to do in the OLD days.

Like this?

drofdank2.jpg

That Looks great! I have a few questions, if I may? Did you do the Polyploiding yourself or did you get seed? If seed, what kind (genetics?). If done yourself, what about toxicity from the procedure? I would take it this would be a Polyploided plant that was seeded and then the next gen are safe? Sorry, Great Pics but it doesn't answer many questions that are burning in my brain, and in my area, it's not the kind of thing I can talk about much.

BTW, about the second photo, I was understanding that most of the time, the Polyploid plants showed with multiples of leaves. (5 poly to 10, 7 poly to 14, etc.) This does not look to be the case, is it a recessive trait?

I want very much to learn more, but it is subject that is (or at least was) mostly left to botany majors, alas, I have only know a few.
Experimentation was slow in my day (70's-80's) as Sativa's where mainly used, and the longer grow season....stifled things a bit.

Thanks for the reply, and the PICS!

Very cool topic, never heard of this but very much appreciate you sharing with us....I can't get over that photo of the "super cola" above...thats just insane!!

You guys have seen the Cheech and Chong movie which the cop smokes a bunch of weed and turns into a lizard ..... consider yourself warned ..... LOL.

Muttt, That is the reason for some of my questions above. I have talked at some length with some botanists, and realize the issues (poison plants) that arise. But it is an area of interest, and if one is willing to take time, and wait till a "next seeded generation" it would seem to hold promise of...Interesting plants, to say the least.

Thank you for the input.

Neat post mate. The picture above of the cola ( if that is indeed a polyploid cannabis plant ) says a lot. Inducing polyploidy in plants has its benefits in terms of sterility, and quite clearly causes physiological mutations due to the increased sets of chromosomes.

I do know that an organism that is polyploid contains much more DNA, than the regular diploid organism. Extraction of DNA from one strawberry - apx. weight = 30 g ( strawberries are octaploid ) yields a large amount of crystalline DNA. I have done this extraction with 95% ethanol in the lab.

I agree with Warmke's conclusion in the experiments. If the organism could have an increased set of chromosomes, hence an increased amount of DNA - it may very well have an increased cannabinoid production. To go further, in my opinion it may be able to kick-start an adaptation of the plant to abnormalities, which in turn could spark the biosynthesis of different exotic medicinal terpines, ones that may have more/less beneficial uses towards different medical applications.

It may be true that the positive chemical changes that occur as a result of induced polyploidy outweigh the negative physiological mutations that it may cause. Hence, it may be harder to maintain such a plant, however the medical outcome may be worth it. It's hard to say since no body does this sort of thing. The F2,F3,F4,etc generations, mechanistically speaking, should not be contaminated with colchicine considering its role in the first place - simply interrupting mitosis.

Me personally, I'd rather just have regular cannabis for now. Unfortunately the world of botany is seriously under-rated, and the job market is suffering terribly. The exportation of work/duties is now left to the tribal people, and natives of their land.

I would love to smoke "regular" and experiment on some new strains.:thumb: I think that with the short grow times it would be a hoot, and really cool science, to boot!

Not really. If anything it may have been a little less. The main stem was the size and shape of celery stalk. There was a lot of lumber in the buds.

I did not do anything to cause this. It was just a clone off of a mother plant. Neither the mother plant nor any of the other clones expressed the polyploid-ity.

Here's a few more pics of her.

Jim_011.jpg
Picture_10822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom