Stupid Question About Cloning

ellesdee420

I starting growing for the first time a couple months ago, and a few days ago, I made my first attempt at cloning. I didn't expect to be successful, but so far, both clones I created seem to be doing very well (with a high amount of daily maintenance and tweaking). Now, however, I suddenly realize I have no idea how to tell if they've rooted successfully, and I don't want to just start transplanting them if they aren't ready, so...I wondering if there are any tell-tale signs that they have rooted successfully or about how long I should wait before transplanting.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You'll see new growth when she's formed new roots. However, I wouldn't plant until there's at least an inch of roots coming out of the bottom of the rockwool, if you're using rockwool, that is.

Basically the first few days are the toughest, if they live after 5-7 days you should be good.
The real tell-tale that the new plant has grown new roots is that the plant lived. Clones wither a bit when they're new since they have no roots and you have to feed them through their leaves. So when the plant seems to have recovered from the shock it already started growing new roots but you won't see them for a while.
When to transplant I'd say it depends on what is your medium. For instance if you're using 1.5" rockwool cubes (the recommended way) you can transplant after 10 days or before if you happen to see the root growing out the bottom. If the medium you used doesn't allow you to see the roots without disturbing the surface too much (possibly damaging roots) then just wait until the plant recovers and transplant as you normally would. You'll know when the plant has recovered when the leaves start to raise again looking for light and they're not curly anymore. You'll notice that it started to grow again and it'll seem more vigorous. It's not actually a hard thing to do (cloning)

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I just used some seed starting pellets in those disposable cardboard pots, so I unfortunately can't see how the roots are doing directly. I cloned them a little over 72 hours ago, and they're looking much better now then they did after 24 hours. I'm beginning to see just how easy it can be. One of them looked so bad after just a couple hours that I just gave up on her and threw it away. Then I felt bad for her a few hours later, so I fished her out of the trash and put her back. She was all slumped over the side of the pot--looked terrible, but I propped her up with a clothes-hanger, and now she's supporting herself. I've always been into gardening and kept several potted plants around the house, but I'm new to the whole concept of cloning. Quite an interesting thing to watch.

Keep in mind the clones will look quite bad for the first 1-3 days then the roots will be formed and they will look much better

The first few days or so are normally a bit on the droopy side of things with large majority of clones picking up good health by the end of the first week.

However most clones take some 10 to 14 days average to root if optimal conditions exist & may take longer other wise, also some strains can be harder to clone than others !

Also the medium has to be kept a little on the drier side in order to force the plant to grow root s looking for water. Not too dry, though.

Also, if it begins to really wilt, and lean over, more than just droop or curl a little because of the initial shock, just throw a dome over it for 24 hrs. I use a Mason jar.

You won't know they are rooted for sure until you see roots. The only way to really monitor the roots of clones is with an aero style cloner where you can look at the stems.

One thing I've noticed is... The clones start out a healthy looking green, but they eventually will start to yellow. From my experience, the yellowing starts when the plant begins making roots. Since it can't gather the resources for root building from the soil, it cannibalizes itself in order to build roots. So if the clone's bottom leaves are starting to get yellow and crispy, that's actually a good sign and it's time to feed them!

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question in relation to it.

My cuttings have been under an 18/6 cycle, with a 13 watt CFL over them. It will be two weeks tomorrow an they have shown very little sign of wilting. No color loss at all in the leaves, stems still very strong. The plant it they came from is my first grow and she was in week 4 of flower when I took the clones. I had some issues with overfeeding and ph during the time they were cut and the leaves on them were dark green and burnt at the tips. The leaves are just as dark as they were when they were taken, with really no discoloration or wilt. They are in soil mixed with perlite. My questions would be, since these cuttings may suffer from nutrient toxicity, would that effect how soon new growth will appear? And could the lack of new growth be a product of the cuttings reverting back to veg and not wilting to death in the process. At this point I am considering adding more light to help with the process.

Thanks in advance.

If they've been around for 2 weeks and "look good", they'll root (and likely have already). I think adding more light is a good thing. The 13W is good for rooting, but not enough to get her to grow once rooted. Replace with a 23 or 40w and be careful not to nuke her right away with light just in case she hasn't rooted. Would hate to throw 2 weeks away. As for the high nutrient state the clone was in, don't sweat it. It might make her work a little less hard to root, but when she does, she'll blow right through that.

In my experience with a flowering clone, they usually take a little longer to root. They root before going back to veg growth. It will cost you a couple of weeks while they do revert once rooted, but the return is usually a very bushy plant. I love clones from 4 weeks of flower. Care to share a picture? The one I really want to see is in about 3 weeks from now. Good luck!

Here is a pic of them 2 clones the day I took them just sitting in the window.
IMAG12295.jpg
And here is the pic I took today.
IMAG12662.jpg

After I posted in this thread, I gave them a really good examination. Discovered new growth!!!
The clone on the right, I cut the bud off the top as an experiment the day I took them. I observed new leaf growth in the area where the bud was, looks like sugar leaves growing and still dark green. Check the other clone and there is also leaf growth but under the bud on this one. I also checked the second node down on both and the small sugar leaves are almost horizontal again. My guess is they have rooted after 2 weeks and are hopefully moving into reveg. I setup a temporary spot for them under 3 23 watt cfls, 1 red and 2 blue. And 2 pc fans moving air in the area while the lights are on. At this point should I continue misting them or do I need to stop to encourage root growth? I kept the soil moist the entire time.

Thanks for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom