Seed shell on seedling not shedding itself - Help!

mangosnapper

My germinated seeds have pierced the soil and are about an inch tall. Everything is looking good ~
But the split shell casing on the Cotyledons aren't coming off. It looks like there might be some slight discoloration
in the tips of those leaves brownish/greenish at the tips.

QUESTION: can this cause damage to the plant? ...And should I wait, or try to do it myself. The seedlings are so fragile. I am nervous about doing that. And the soil is just damp, should it be real moist at this stage?
~~~ PLEASE HELP ME...my green family in arms. " Peace "

p.s. I was wondering if it go's to long without shedding, it might dry out and cut the plant stem when it continues to grow. IDK?

:peace:

Re: seed shell on seedling not shedding itself... Help!!!

You should post a picture so we could see what kind of discoloration or damage the seedling is suffering from, if any.
If it's just 1" tall then I think you might a bit too much over protective and just wait and see how it goes, it's definitely still too young to drop the cotyledons so I wouldn't worry about that.

Don't keep the soil too moist, in fact try to keep it on the dry side of things, this will force the young seedling to grow roots in its search for water and establish a good root system. The young seedlings have an extremely low water requirement and by keeping the soil too moist you're actually making more harm than good. Be careful not to let the plant die of thirst!

Good luck and happy growing!

The seed shell will eventually pop off from cotyledon leafs as they get bigger, just give em time... other wise manual handling em with ya great big meat paws may damage the lil tender plants :thumb:

Keep the soil moist & humidity high for seedlings... over watering may rot stems at the base !

Thanks Rodrigo... I was thinking that too, and to keep calm and have patience. I am going to get my camera situation in order as well, it is so hard to tell someone something and get help without them seeing it.
Due to circumstances beyond my control I became disabled in a construction accident, and waiting so so very long for an ending to that
and needing the one true Medicine that works on so many different aspects for me. Money is so tight right now...I have to make do with this and that when I grow my Med's...I just get so nervous something can go wrong.

This grow is without some additives I could use...going bare bones on quite a bit... but I welcome the challenge...
Thank you again for your help...:Namaste:

:Namaste: 10-4 there fuzzy duck ... meat paws retracted... :thumb:

I have the same situation with one of my seedlings and when I went to try and remove the seed shell the entire seedling started lifting out of the soil. Needless to say I immediately stopped what I was doing, gently lowered the seedling back into place and patted the soil around it to get it back into place. Thankfully, no harm was done and it is now the first of my seedlings to start its second set of leaves. I certainly learned my lesson!! BTW, the seed shell is still on that cotyledon leaf almost 2 weeks after emerging.

IMG_030452.JPG
what's this look like Dave

Back
Top Bottom