How many plants can i grow in a 4x4 grow tent.

reggie1983

I am a first time grower, how many plants can I grow in a 4x4 tent with a 400 watt halide light. and what is the distance between the light and the top of the plant.

First, let me welcome you to :420:

There is no correct number on plants. It depends on many factors, including the type of grow (SOG, SCROG, Lollipop, etc), the type of plants (tall lanky sativas or short bushy indicas?), and the type of system (soil, hydro, etc).

You would need to describe your intentions first... and then we might be able to help.

And here is a link to a good discussion on lighting:

What distance should my light be from my plants?

:goodluck:

:welcome:

Id say its a matter of how much can you get from the smalest amount of plants. If you stick 10 in there, your gonna have 10X the amount of problems as 1 plant. You can grow one monster, try a SCROG on 2, or run 25 hempy's SOG style. Depends on your skill and how many hours PER DAY you want to spend on the grow.

as for light distance these charts may help you. place your hand underneath the light bulb and move your hand to the point you can not feel any heat and move your light above your canopy to that level, raise the light as your plants grow.

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

Man... you got some ugly toes... J/K

Seriously - good looking plant.

I can run 121 2-Liter Hempy pots in my 4'x4' tent. That's a god awful amount to keep up on.

10 plants in 3.5 gallon containers is a good amount if they are Indica dominant and you don't veg them too long.

4 plants in 5 gallon containers is also a good number.

There's a lot of different techniques as far as SOG, SCROG, super Cropping, FIM, LST. Consideration also has to be used concerning the specific strain/strains you plan on growing.

To be more specific, I use a 600 watt HPS bulb off of a digital ballast. I've also augmented an additional 500 or so actual watts of T5 and CFL lighting, although they are only intermittently on.

I'm not familiar with halide lights as far as growing, so I can not comment specifically on that. But if you can pull 50,000 lumens and keep the PAR in check, you should have plenty of light.

Biggest hurdle is always keeping your tents relative humidity and lights on/lights off temperatures in check.

Back
Top Bottom