Making Rick Simpson Oil from Moldy Weed - Botrytis

dogno

hey, will the oil process kill the mold? obviously im cleaning the buds im sure a little amount will always be there, what do you guys think? should i use a particular solvant? im using this oil medically so i dont care if i get high or not, i just need the oil to be 100% safe and effective.

re: Making Rick Simpson oil from moldy weed (Botrytis)

you can use a UV-C light, It'll kill the mold.
Like this one:
VH01-bottom_standard.jpg

RSO method uses heat to extract and evaporate so it should be ok. Might taste a little funny but it should be safe.

RSO method uses heat to extract and evaporate so it should be ok. Might taste a little funny but it should be safe.
i am taking off all the mold i can see with my naked eye, just wanted to point that out. what im worried of are the little invisible thingies... still waiting for other inputs for now

Making medicine with moldy pot makes as much sense to me as drinking milk to cure chest congestion.

I highly disagree with using moldy pot for anything but photo shoots, it's poison.
:Namaste:

Making medicine with moldy pot makes as much sense to me as drinking milk to cure chest congestion.

I highly disagree with using moldy pot for anything but photo shoots, it's poison.
ha thats true man, but one has to work with what he has =\ in your opinion would you use the weed(for the oil) if it was cleaned up thoroughly and had nothing else?

No sir, please read my post above again. :Namaste:

ha thats true man, but one has to work with what he has =\ in your opinion would you use the weed(for the oil) if it was cleaned up thoroughly and had nothing else?

alright man, thanks for your input, ill certainly take it into account!

I highly agree with ^^^^^

Ask yourself this, "would u give that oil to a loved one?" Generally speaking, any reputable drug manufacture will not make any product if any of their raw materials is conatminated. Would u use the oil urself?

Re: Making Rick Simpson oil from moldy weed (Botrytis)

Also, it isn't always the mold that is at issue but the byproducts of the mold that can cause illness/death. Typically, those compounds cannot be destroyed using the same methods, i.e. heat, used to destroy bacteria or mold. For example, the bacteria Clostridium botulinum doesn't actually kill you, it is the toxin that it produces that does and cooking affected food does nothing to destroy those compounds which can survive intact for a very long time.

so what do you guys suggest, just throw it away or theres a way i can salvage it? =(

Bin it...

As heart breaking as it may seem for your efforts involved the following guidance to trash the moldy bud is for your utter most health !

That smoking moldy bud or any other process to form hashish/resin/oil extraction may lead to contamination via pathogens/fungal spores/bacteria etc which may effect your lungs...

I'm pretty sure ya don't want that :thumb:

I do believe it is an interest to promote the well being, health & security of the :420: members being that bad practice is often condoned upon in accordance to 420 Guidelines

Our only interest at present is your own health by preventing the use of moldy bud...

On behalf of the community, we feel your loss of your harvest & your own needs :peace:

On the other hand you may wish to ponder over on growing indoors in a more controlled environment or selecting a short flowering strain (indica) or auto flowering strain planted out early in the season to prevent bud rot in higher humidity autumns in some parts of the world !

Regards - Fuzzy Duck

I agree with what most have said....Ditch it...

There is no point is taking the chance of getting yourself or others sick because of moldy pot. There are many people with severe mold allergies that something like this may set them off for an allergy attack. Also like mentioned above there are a lot of molds that give off toxins that could be harmful to the body including organs and cells.

I'll share a story... I used to live in Chicagoland area and back in the day when I was young and we used to get blackmarket BC buds which many times smelled very moldy. I knew nothing at the time about mold or growing and didn't care, I just wanted to get high. These moldy smelling and looking buds were very common there and beggars cant be choosers when it comes to getting bud in illegal states, so we smoked it regularly. I will tell you this, I constantly was coming down with strep throat, bronchitis and even pneumonia almost on a monthly basis, and also had a horrible cough that I couldn't even inhale a full hit, whether a joint, bowl, bong or whatever. It hurt.. This all stopped when I moved to california and started smoking dispensary buds and buds from growers I knew. I hardly ever get sick now, haven't had strep throat in many years as well as any of the other respiratory issues. I have no allergies except to cats, and I have made no other lifestyle changes that would contribute to this. Take this story how you want, but I have to say I believe that the moldy buds had me constantly getting sick.

I personally would say get rid of the moldy pot... it is not worth keeping and not worth the risk of health issues.

yea i would never smoke moldy pot, i just tought that the oil would be much safer because the method involves very high temperatures and whatever, and because the oil itself is anti-poisonous(and also from what i understand the stomach is a bitch for the mold compared to the lungs). oh well.
@FuzzyDuck yeah i know that indoors is the only way i would be able to grow without mold, but i couldnt do it this year :(

I've actually smoked a slightly moldy bud before and it got me just as high as the rest of the batch ... Also i had no negative side effects from doing so ... just like to put that out there :D

You were just "smoking bud", you were not treating Cancer with medicine. Nor did you have any kind of scientific equipment connected to you showing exactly what changes were occurring in your body on a molecular level, while doing so.

If it's moldy, throw it away. That is our professional and experienced advice. :Namaste:

I've actually smoked a slightly moldy bud before and it got me just as high as the rest of the batch ... Also i had no negative side effects from doing so ... just like to put that out there :D

Yeh i totally agree ... it was a one off experience as i just wanted to see what it would be like ... i havent done it since ...

Keep high, stay safe and healthy

Love to all x

yea i would never smoke moldy pot, i just tought that the oil would be much safer because the method involves very high temperatures and whatever, and because the oil itself is anti-poisonous(and also from what i understand the stomach is a bitch for the mold compared to the lungs). oh well.
@fuzzyduck yeah i know that indoors is the only way i would be able to grow without mold, but i couldnt do it this year :(

Believe or not THC is destroyed at a high temperature... even smoking a spliff destroys a large majority of the good stuff !

So what you inhale is only a minority of the potential of the bud :thumb:

I prefer edibles myself :green_heart:

At the end of day growing is part of the learning curve whether out doors or indoors & that mold either powdery mildew or bud rot may effect an indoor environment if the growing conditions are poor humidity wise !

To help ease your loss...

I once did not properly slow air dry some bud before curing & i forgot to burp the jar one morning whilst being late for work & with in a day the bud had turned moldy... much to my dispair.

That was my 2nd grow, some 2 to 3 oz was disposed off with out much of a second thought... i don't take chances on health as i have more concerning matters at hand.

Not only did that mistake cost me in utility bills (electric) for the duration of that grow it also cost me the additional cost of self meds/smoke from other sources for the next couple of months... a costly exercise at my expense !

The motto of this story -
One learns from mistakes & improves for the next grow :thumb:

Better to be safe than to quell desperation. Unless you know what portions are salvageable I agree do not bother. I am allergic to penicillin and many other mold/fungi/bacteria , I sneeze when I smoke hermi bud and my eyes water and turn red with irritation , moldy bud makes me sick in the throat , a burning itchy sensation that feels like it sticks. When I am desperate I tend to do stupid things though like continue to smoke the moldy bud , without any form of medication I am kinda not cool bears ya know? I am thankful I have a good dispensary that has never provided any products with flaws like that , but myself well I had some borderline flawed products from improper drying or improper containment of quantity for transport (Air tight bags) and have to deal with mildew and if trimming tons of bud run out of time in a hurry and watch pounds mold up and go bye bye. I hate to admit that I have done that , sitting in a living room with a few other people and a couple hundred pounds pile of un manicured raw bud trimming like fools then discovering moldy buds and panicking and trying to salvage more by working faster even resorting to oven purging. Makes yer hair fall out..... Makes your home stench of mildew too.... Best to play it safe.

Back
Top Bottom