Week old sprouts stunted and purple, Help!

havoksgrow

My issue is that I have 2 stunted week old sprouts around 2.5 inches and 1 inch tall. The small one is a little older and was transplanted into new soil when its original leaves started to yellow and curl, that has now stopped. Both have a set of true leaves and new tiney true leaves growing in. Both plants only grew vertically for the first day and now its just the leaves that grow. The taller plant has a purple stem and darkish green leaves. the short one has dark green droopy leaves.

Additional facts
-i am using a 25(40equiv) wat cfl at 950 lumens
2 inches away from plants
not sure if its soft or daylight bulb
-growing in a cupboard
-planted in redsolo cups with a drain hole
-soil is an organic mix for violets(not sure, was my friends soil)

However my friend uses the same soil for her plants, same basic setup and is growing fine. Her seeds and mine came from the same plant.

-watered 3 times; twice with tap water and once with water left overnight.
watered them a day after the top soil seemed dry
-my room gets kind of cold at night, around 22°C during the day (Canadian problems :p)
-they are bagseeds

I know its an awful setup but there is an issue stopping growth.
Could it be the cold causing the purple stem and slowed growth?
Maybe there was chemicals in the tap water?
Or it could be lack of proper lights?

Any input would be great, thanks

most people want pictures.

you say 'a' drain hole in your Solo cups. that's far too few, imho. and it sounds like you're drowning the seedlings.

The Compact Florescent Lights you are using have too low of lumens to be useful, you need 26 watt 1400+ lumen Compact Florescent Lights to be useful. Place the higher wattage and lumen Compact Florescent Lights 5-6 inches from your plant. You want 6400 kelvin cool white Florescent lights for vegetative growth and 2700 kelvin warm white Florescent lights for flowering. You want 20°-30° Celsius and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering, anything outside that range will slow growth. What are you adjusting your waters pH to? You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil. A calcium and magnesium deficiency may be responsible for the purple colour of the stem, some have suggested it is a phosphorous deficiency.

here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

Please use the forum image gallery. Here is everything you should need to know to post full size photographs. The seedling in your first photograph may be over watered, do you have holes for drainage in the pot the seedling is in?

Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I can only use my phone and couldn't get the image gallery to work.
As for the cups yes they have holes, each cup has 2 holes in the bottom around half an inch In size
When I water I used around and 60ml (maybe less)until water started to drip out of the holes.

Im not currently adjusting the ph of the water nor do I know what my waters ph is. Im going to be picking up some test strips soon. Ive read that vinegar can be used to adjust ph but I still need to read more into it.
as for the lights would having the wrong spectrum/not enough lumens cause the plant to stretch?
My friends grow (same soil, same bagseeds, same lack of any real equipment) Is doing just fine. Only difference is she is using a more blue cfl light and her room is warmer.
If it is a ph issue im afraid to do anything like flushing or adding things to the water since they plants are still young

Ok ill be buying 2 more cfls, same brand, soft white
ill also be buying some ph testing strips.

If the ph is too high or too low would it be safe to try to balance it out or are my plants still too young to be adding things to the water?
From what ive read if the ph of my tap water is too high id add 1/4 tbsp to a gallon of tap water(left out 24 hours)
Or if it were too low id add some baking soda?

I have to wait for my soil is dry to test my runoffs ph so ill just try to make sure the water i use next is at 6.5?
Ill post an update in a few days on the results.

Hay i am having exacly the same issues. my seeds sprouted over a week ago and there bearly a inch tall, and a purple stems, this is on all 6 of my babys, seeds were ordered from demon seeds, dunno if there a good seed bank, but this has hapend to my last purchase of seeds, thay grew about 2 inch tall, grew outwards, then slow yellowing of leaves starting from the lowest ones, ive grown many times, so this isnt exacly my first shot and cant seem to identify why this is happening, ive tried to water less, and more, with no change, my only concern is it can get fairly hot here in south australia, so im considering a shay cloth over my plants as i think the sun is too much for these seeds. maybe my problem is these seeds are bred for growing under lights, its starting to piss me of, there not cheep

Ok ill be buying 2 more cfls, same brand, soft white
ill also be buying some ph testing strips.

If the ph is too high or too low would it be safe to try to balance it out or are my plants still too young to be adding things to the water?
From what ive read if the ph of my tap water is too high id add 1/4 tbsp to a gallon of tap water(left out 24 hours)
Or if it were too low id add some baking soda?

I have to wait for my soil is dry to test my runoffs ph so ill just try to make sure the water i use next is at 6.5?
Ill post an update in a few days on the results.

I would pH adjust the water you are using to pH 6.5. Vinegar can be used to lower pH if you do not have any pH down solution. Baking soda has too much sodium to be used for plants.

Ive picked up 2 6400k 26w 1520 lumens daylights.
pc fan
distilled water
ph strips (defective)

Im nervous about over watering them since last time I watered (tap water 5 days ago) until it dripped out the bottom a little and that may have been to much (maybe 50 ml)
The top of my soil is dry but if I put my finger in inch in the soil it feels cool and spongey. Should I let it dry more before watering with my distilled water?

The leaves have also started to dry out and look pinched, buldging and deformed. The small plant seems to be getting yellow spots :/
sorry still cant use the gallery.

Screenshot_2014-01-07-09-45-26_zps8aae1729.png

Screenshot_2014-01-07-09-45-01_zpse9c180ab.png

Do yourself a favor and buy a digital ph meter.i also use vinegar to lower my ph i use a seringe to add it a drop at a time cause it doesn't take much to lower it i also use ph up from the fish store its cheap and its a big bottle of powder. i was using the ph tester from the fish tank and those arent good enough either. the meter tells you if its 6.6 6.5 so you can get real close to what u need it at. i bought one off ebay for 10 bucks. add your nutes then check your ph and adjust after you have added everything some nutes make ur ph drop. I've been doing that after someone told me. i could be wrong tho since I'm new to this game also.

You can also wait till your soil is dry and weigh it so next time you know the weight of it when it needs water. that way you won't be guessing. worked for me till i could tell the weight of my pots when they need water.

Also you better learn how to use the upload or you gonna get in a lil trouble. i use to do the same thing as you and just post them but then i got a few messages and they said either learn how to upload or get kicked out.just mess with it and you'll get the hang of it its pretty easy once you figure it out:welcome:

Just a quick update on the plants.
After letting them dry out switched to distilled water with a small amount of vinegar to get the ph to 6.5ish. Got my new cfls and fan.
2 days after watering the leaves became huge (relatively speaking)
Now they are soaking up 15-20 ml of water a day, not sure if I should double it so im not watering every day.

However the plants heights are still really short, I oversetimated their size at frist since the younger plant is just about 2 inches tall and the other is maybe an inch and a half.

The shorter older plant also has new leaves growing inbetween the first true leaves stem and the main stem.
Should I try to stretch them out a bit? They look like they will get crowded really soon

20140116_172807_zps0d6d6ff3.jpg

20140116_024216_zps0e883c2c.jpg

Old thread but in case anyone wanders in here like I did. I recommend using a clear solo cup to start seedlings that you slide into a solid color solo cup. Then you can just lift the clear one out to see if it is dry or not and you can check on the roots situation. I also have the initial stunting in above ground growth with seedlings. I always assumed they were just putting most of their energy to establish a decent root system before beginning to work hard above ground. Usually takes a few days to a week but then they explode with vegetation. My seedling stems have been purple 9/10 times and I usually only loose one or two that end up just being weak and damping off but I don't think the purple stem has anything to do with that.

Back
Top Bottom