what affects bud size?

ozone1000

i was wondering what will over all make for a large bud dose it have anything to do with the overall size of tthe planter your growing in and will the bud get bigger over time and how long to reach full size? im going with unknown seeds that have been given to me but will get seeds from a seed bank when i can but how big of a pot should i get for a closet grow? any help would be great thanks and happy smoking:thumb:

almot forgot lol
WIN_20140415_073553.JPG

i was wondering what will over all make for a large bud dose it have anything to do with the overall size of tthe planter your growing in and will the bud get bigger over time and how long to reach full size? im going with unknown seeds that have been given to me but will get seeds from a seed bank when i can but how big of a pot should i get for a closet grow? any help would be great thanks and happy smoking:thumb:

There isn't just one particular thing that will increase bud sizes but a lot of things will add to it. Environment, genetics and nutrients are the biggest contributors to bud size. You could have all these things perfect, and your plants will thrive, but when one of these things is off, this can effect your plant health, yield and other problems like pests.

Usually most strains take anywhere from 55 days to even 100 days from when the plants are put into flowering to mature and are ready for harvest. (from when the lights go 12/12). Depending on the strain is when the buds are ready to harvest.

Pot size really will help, bigger is definitely better for pots in soil/soilless mediums. I personally use 5 gallon pots and really want to up it to 7 or larger, but my space wont allow it.

What size pots are you using?

What type of grow area do you use? (lights, vents/fans, temp humidity?)

What soil and nutrients are you using?

These are the things that you might want to be more specific on, and then we can help more, knowing more about your grow and environment.

I've included a few helpful links for you below since I see that you are fairly new here to help you get more info from the forums and enjoy your time here as well :)

Are you new to growing and don't know where to start, here is a link that will teach you everything you need to know :)
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

If you couldn't find what your looking for in the last link, you can find many of your answers by visiting The Grow Room.
THE GROW ROOM

Another great way to get started in your new membership is by starting a grow journal. This allows you to document your grow, add photo's
and share your experience with all of us!! Remember to be detailed, so if you run into problems we can help you fix them and have a successful
grow :)
How to Make a Grow Journal
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Are you looking to purchase new growing equipment, nutrients, growing or smoking accessories, check out our sponsors!
As a member you can take advantage of specials that are run time to time :)
Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE ®

Well I hope you enjoy exploring our wonderful community and feel free to make yourself home :)

By the way, don't forget to check out the monthly contests where you can vote, enter, and win prizes!
420 Contests

hay thanks a lot im nor really able to throw a lot of money at growing for now all i have is a basic stander ed grow light and im using scotts flower and veg you can see the top of the pot im using for now it was the best i could do im thinking about getting a 5 gal bucket for my next plant but i cant let it get to big im on housing (because of disability) and its a closet grow i pull it out at night and put it under my kitchen fan (no fan to put in my closet for now)and thats the only fan i have im hoping the buds will get bigger over time but over all it has been a good learning experience and i hope to get the money for a seed bank and a better setup for my next attempt thanks for the help and yes its my very first try and i havent even been smoking very long(i do now because i cant work and i am growing because i wanted something to do and i cant afford cannabis) but like i said thanks for the words

Just want to throw in a little info when you said 5 gallon bucket. You can make that bucket into a airpot as well by drilling a bunch of 3/16-1/4 holes all over the sides to allow whats called air pruning and that will help big growth out. If needed I can do a video if you are not sure. Other the that Icemud covered everything and then some. Post well done Icemud Much respect. Keep it growing green.

thanks nut my pot is smaller than that im not sure what the size is but i think its smallre than 3 gal mabey not but its a water from the bottom planter will i be able to drill out the sides on that ?

ok have one more question when and how do you go about flushing out your plant? i was thinking just put it under the sink and flush it that way but i dont know if thats a good way or not and also when is a good time to do it or what step in the prosses i just dont wanna do anything overly stupid just a nother question from a new grower any help would be great

I would be careful using water straight from the tap due to chlorine levels. It would be better to fill some 5 gallon buckets and let them sit for 24-48 hours to let them dechlorinate first. I raise the plant off of the ground so that it can drain properly, I use a small inverted bucket but anything that gets it a few inches high should suffice. I slowly add water making sure that the pot nevers overflows, you want all of the water to go through all of the soil and completely soak it to remove as much of the salts as possible.

Quick answer to your question: Lots of light. There is a rule of thumb among cannabis growers that you should have at least 5K lumens of light per sq ft of your grow space. However, going with more light gives you even bigger buds and some growers use >10K lumens per sq. ft. Sure lights are expensive, but light is the energy that your plant uses to make THC. All other things being equal, more light means more energy to your plants and that equals bigger buds. Sure lights are expensive. Go with CFLs if you funds are tight, they are the cheapest in the short term.

ok have one more question when and how do you go about flushing out your plant? i was thinking just put it under the sink and flush it that way but i dont know if thats a good way or not and also when is a good time to do it or what step in the prosses i just dont wanna do anything overly stupid just a nother question from a new grower any help would be great

Did you start a grow journal? Definitely would help with answering all your questions and following you step by step!

As far as flushing, usually this isn't done until the last 2 weeks of harvest, or if you have severe nutrient lockout. Your plant is way to far from finish to be flushing unless you have nutrient lock out issues....

Check out those links I posted for you.. I know all these questions you are asking have been asked here before many times :)

hay thanks for the info i will try and get better equipment but for now all i have is a slandered grow light i wanna get an led bulb when i can but for my first plant i gotta make due

hay thanks for the info i will try and get better equipment but for now all i have is a slandered grow light i wanna get an led bulb when i can but for my first plant i gotta make due

no worries man, we were all there at one point, mine was only like 3 years ago, and I still have a lot to learn :)

in your closet you grow in, do you have either white walls or reflective material up? this can help reflect a lot of light on your plants and will give a slight increase to the amount of light your plants are receiving.

What kind of growlight are you using? I know you mentioned a "standard grow light" but there are many different types, what do you have? If you can and need more light, you can get some CFL bulbs and put them around your grow area near the plants, get a mix of the 2700k and 6500k bulbs maybe 2:1 and this may help you get more light to the plant and get larger buds as well. :)

Here is a link to the grow lighting area on 420 Magazine... there are a lot of DIY posts I have seen in the past that people have made great lighting for their plants very cost effectively, might be worth a look.

Grow Lighting

Well I hope this info helps out, if ya need any more help just ask :) BTW...start a grow journal! its fun, and there are a ton of great members here to help you and become good friends :)

Back
Top Bottom