hydrogen peroxide - what are the benefits?

Re: hydrogen peroxide. what are the benefits?

oxygenates the root zone and pretty much kills ALL bacteria, good or bad...and soon to die roots ta boot.

Sorry jamthe3, I am going to have to partially disagree with you based on my experience.

Yes it kills bacteria, but only the roots that have been to severally damaged die. It depends on how soon the problem is found ultimately, and how many mi/gal is used to correct the problem.

Sorry jamthe3, I am going to have to partially disagree with you based on my experience.

Yes it kills bacteria, but only the roots that have been to severally damaged die. It depends on how soon the problem is found ultimately, and how many mi/gal is used to correct the problem.

I really don't see how that's disagreeing..."severally damaged" "soon to die" is a matter of semantics; and hydrogen peroxide WILL kill both bad and beneficial bacteria whether one likes it or not or disagrees with the reality that it does.

I used hydrogen peroxide to kill fungus gnats, larvae and eggs. It seemed to clear the problem up really nicely!

From a chemical point of view, Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) breaks down into H20 (water) and O2 (oxygen), so the byproducts of the reaction shouldn't pose any negative threats to the plant, or any other plant matter, I THINK.

I got a lot of satisfaction killing them that way too YourHighness.
I use a 15% solutuion for cleaning anything and everything, like when the bro left the pump in a pail too soak for two months lol...

oxygenates the root zone and pretty much kills ALL bacteria, good or bad...and soon to die roots ta boot.

I am not disagreeing that it kills bacteria or not, I agreed it does.

My disagreement was with the statement "...and soon to die roots ta boot", because it does not if it is used properly.

Hence the partial disagreement.

I am not disagreeing that it kills bacteria or not, I agreed it does.

My disagreement was with the statement "...and soon to die roots ta boot", because it does not if it is used properly.

Hence the partial disagreement.

I guess I just don't understand the distinction between "...but only the roots that have been to severally damaged die" & "...and soon to die roots..."

Thanks for the info.my issue is fungual gnat larvae in my hydro res, hoses, and buckets.haven't seen flying bugs yet.hydro guy suggested mosquito pellets and mixture of hydrogen peroxide for cleaning. Does this sound right? If so what ratio?

found this article and thought it might help, but then again I generally try to grow weed that actually gets someone high, hopefully the language is acceptable.

Pondering peroxide

How much hydrogen peroxide should be used?
By Ed Rosenthal - Saturday, March 2 2002
Follow: Ask Ed Grow Tips.

When and how much hydrogen peroxide should I use in my hydroponic solution?
Stiggy,
Internet

Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that can be used to destroy fungi, molds, bacteria and other infectious agents as well as some pollutants. Adding it to your water helps plants by destroying infectious agents and by adding oxygen to the roots' environment.

Hydrogen peroxide is an essential ingredient in maintaining a clean growing room. It replaces chlorine bleach, which is antiseptic but harmful to breathe. When added to reservoirs, hydrogen peroxide slows the growth of algae and other water organisms so that trays and utensils need to be cleaned less frequently. Soil and water borne diseases such as pythium and other stem and root rots occur at much lower rates in hydrogen peroxide-enriched water. Hydrogen peroxide works because of the oxidative reaction, so micro-organisms are unlikely to develop a tolerance.

There are many ways to add hydrogen peroxide to the water. A measured amount every three days is the crudest method, but still effectively enriches the water. A smaller measured amount daily would even out the peaks and valleys of oxygen in the water. Another method is to use a drip similar to an IV bag, which continuously adds a regulated amount. The most sophisticated method is a probe which measures the oxygen content of the water as an indirect means of measuring the hydrogen peroxide, and adds an appropriate amount as needed.

When used properly, hydrogen peroxide can keep infections in the garden to a minimum and stimulate root growth by increasing the oxygen content of the water. Hydrogen peroxide degrades into free oxygen and water over a three-day period. Some of the oxygen dissolves in the reservoir water and is used by the roots.

Different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide solution are available. It is sold diluted to 3% in drug stores. Some indoor garden shops sell 10% grade and 35% grade is sold in a few health food stores and over the Internet. The 3% hydrogen peroxide solution can be used topically to sterilize cuts and infections. Hydrogen peroxide solution at 10% burns skin. 35% hydrogen peroxide solution acts much like a concentrated acid and is handled as a hazardous, corrosive liquid.

The 10% hydrogen peroxide solution is sometimes used at rates as low as one ounce per 10 gallons water; however, enrichment using an ounce per gallon is more effective for disease control. When 35% hydrogen peroxide solution is used, it can be added at the rate of three ounces per 10 gallons of water. If a 3% solution is used, use three ounces per gallon of water.

ZeroTol is a peroxide-based commercial sterilizing agent used in the greenhouse industry. Its active ingredient, HO2, also breaks down into oxygen and water, but it is even more active than 35% hydrogen peroxide. It is used at the rate of one part per 300, or three ounces per 10 gallons, for excellent prevention of diseases and infections. ZeroTol is available from Bio-Safe Systems in Connecticut (1-888-273-3088; Home) and through some other gardening supply stores.

Back
Top Bottom