Need Some Critique And Some Helpful Tips Please! First Time Growing! Lots of Pics!

BrokeSmokes

Hey guys,

So this is my first time growing, and I must say everything seems to be going pretty well so far. I just need a little critique and some helpful tips if possible. I currently have 3 plants.

Soil: Miracle Gro Moisture Control (I know not the best)
Strains: OG Kush Mix from Bag seed
Lighting: 3x23w CFL Daylight 6500K using bulb splitters on extension cord connected to digital timer to surge protector. I keep them about 1 to 2 inches away from the plants.
Ventilation: Small USB Fan Blowing from the bottom upwards
Growbox: cardboard, about 3ft tall x 1.8ft wide X 1.8 ft thick. Inside has sun sheild and foil tape.
PH: I am planning to pick up a pH meter later on tonight.
Pests: None as of yet

I started them off in dixie cups and then transplanted into bottles with holes cut in the bottom just yesterday. Now I have a few questions.

1.) Is my grow box pretty safe?
2.) Will my lighting be sufficient? I was planning on maybe adding one more 23 watt maybe higher.
3.) Are my bottles tall enough?
4.) Are using splitters on splitters a bad idea?
5.) Are my plants looking good considering the lighting and age?
6.) Some of the lower leaf edges are turning yellow brown and crispy curling up. Is this a Mg deficiency, is it my pH, or is it because I left them in the cups too long?
7.) In reference to question 6, what should I buy or do to fix it?
8.) How early will or I know if the sex?
9.) Cut off some of the dead parts of the leaves, is this cool?

Those are my questions for now. Now I would really appreciate some tips and strong critique on the plants, growbox etc.

If I forgot to mention anything as far as details please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Here are the photos of its growth.

bsmokes2.jpg

bsmokes3.jpg

Bsmokes1.jpg

bsmokes5.jpg

bsmokes6.jpg

bsmokes7.jpg

Re: Need Some Critique And Some Helpful Tips Please! First Time Growing! Lots of Pics

1.) Is my grow box pretty safe?

I have not, nor would I ever grow in a cardboard box due to safety reasons and would not encourage it in any way.

2.) Will my lighting be sufficient? I was planning on maybe adding one more 23 watt maybe higher.

I would suggest at least 2-23 watt bulbs per plant.

3.) Are my bottles tall enough?

If you are going into flower right away then yes. But the clear plastic would allow light to reach the roots and kill some of the roots and cause other unknowable problems.

4.) Are using splitters on splitters a bad idea?

Safety tells me not to do it!

5.) Are my plants looking good considering the lighting and age?

Yes

6.) Some of the lower leaf edges are turning yellow brown and crispy curling up. Is this a Mg deficiency, is it my pH, or is it because I left them in the cups too long?

I would say they are heat damaged from the environment.

7.) In reference to question 6, what should I buy or do to fix it?

Better ventilation.

8.) How early will or I know if the sex?

Strain dependant. I do know know the answer to this without more knowledge. The pots will be too small if you are waiting for sexual maturity.

9.) Cut off some of the dead parts of the leaves, is this cool?

Yes, remove no more then 20% of total plant mater. I would guess that 20% every 5-7 days should not stunt the plant too much if any at all.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom