Question regarding pollination

PlanetJ

Hey amazing bunch,

I heard it is possible to take a cutting from a flowering plant, pollinate her, and have her form seed in a vase. Could someone confirm this ?

If true .. if I where to hermie a plant, get her out of the flowering room, and later on use his/her pollen to pollinate a single top .. what would the quality of my seeds be ? Is this a viable method of getting seeds ?

If so, any guides on it ? Or a general direction to look for clues ?

I have seeds that were cross-pollinated from a hermie, both true Durban Poison and Durban X Northern Lights and I have had really good results with both of those, 80% female plants, a few hermies.

No it's not a viable method. You don't want to cut off a part of a flowering plant to pollenate it. The plant that you put in the vase would die.

I think you getting confused a little. Some people put a male branch in a cup of water( vase) to let it's pollen sacs finish opening. If you want to create seeds you need a healthy female in flowering and pollen.. Read some info on marijuana breeding . I really hope this helps you out... Solo

Thanks Solo .. I already suspected this .. but I had someone insist that it would live long enough to form seeds, if pollinated right after taking the cutting. I was curious if there was any truth to it, altho it sounded a bit odd ... having a dying plant form seeds .. but then again, it might be a super-survival feature ..

So if I want to get my own seeds, I need a separate room, right ?

I think the way it works is if you harvest most of a flowering plant, but leave part of it alive well past maturity the plant will hermie in a last ditch effort to propogate

Seems easier to just isolate a female and pollinate her ... and keep her in a separate environment. If I stumble upon a male, same treatment, but harvest pollen and put in freezer .. ?

My plants all took a dusting from a hermie which I pulled as soon as i found it. It was still excellent quality, just a few seeds per bud. I will most likely stress one of my spare plants during flower to produce some more pollen.

I think the way it works is if you harvest most of a flowering plant, but leave part of it alive well past maturity the plant will hermie in a last ditch effort to propogate

You can do that or spray another plant with colloidal silver which will make it herm. The worst way to make feminized seeds would be to use pollen from a female plant that hermies on it's own without prolonged flowering. This will lead to your seeds carrying a genetic trait that hermies easily.

Seems easier to just isolate a female and pollinate her ... and keep her in a separate environment. If I stumble upon a male, same treatment, but harvest pollen and put in freezer .. ?

Yes you can store the pollen in the freezer but make sure all the flower material is removed from it. Moisture kills the pollen.

So, did I get it right that spraying with colloidal silver will make her herm ? If I then let her self pollinate and use those seeds, are those viable ?

I would like to start experimenting with getting seeds and crossing strains .. planning to do that in a HEPA filtered and isolated room, once I have my perpetual going. Seems like a fun thing to play with :)

So, did I get it right that spraying with colloidal silver will make her herm ? If I then let her self pollinate and use those seeds, are those viable ?

I would like to start experimenting with getting seeds and crossing strains .. planning to do that in a HEPA filtered and isolated room, once I have my perpetual going. Seems like a fun thing to play with :)

Yes just make sure you spray it everyday when you switch to flowering and don't stop until you see it changing.

Remember that even if they are in a different room the pollen can still travel on you to the room you don't want pollenated. I would recommend doing daily maintenance in the room without pollen first and then going into your breeding room. Just make sure if you have to go back into your non pollenated room to either change clothes or mist yourself with a little water.

Back
Top Bottom