Can anyone give me advice with cfls

bigred1991

IMG_20150228_225410.jpg
IMG_20150226_145657.jpg
IMG_20150228_225221.jpg
IMG_20150228_225327.jpg
IMG_20150228_132439.jpg
I'm growing this plant with 5cfls 23watts at 6500k it seems to be doing good it has it's imperfections. I want to flower also with cfls what's the best bulbs to get. I'm growing only one plant. My grow space is 4ft tall 3ft wide and 2 1/2 depth. Here's a few pics just where you can see it. Any suggestions will be , helpful. If you have anymore questions about anything please let me know

Yes up certainly know that I was wondering if I would probably need a few more bulbs is what I'm asking. I was hoping someone done flowered with cfls at let me know how it is or do I need to switch to led or hips. I would rather stay with cfls. They are extremely good bulbs cheap you're able to put bulbs really close without burning leaves. The only downfall is the light doesn't penetrate lower branches and bud sites. Thus plant seems to be a little monster it just 2 months old the main stem is a half inch or thicker. They're bud sites on my very first single blade leaf. It's just over 12" tall and 12" wide. It just seems to be doing so well in veg state I was hoping it will do just as good in flowering

I'm going to have to check out sweetsue's journal, too, I guess.

I use 550W CFL's through veg and into flower, but (so far) I revert to the HPS for the bulk of the flowering cycle.

in general terms, you're going to need a lot of CFL lamps to get anything good, but I'm certainly NOT the expert and I'm certain those with much more experience than I will chime in.

CFLs lack penetration, so never let the plant grow tall. Train it to grow short and wide to produce more colas. This also increases the horizontal area of the plant, making your lights much more efficient.

Now when we come to lights, I suggest a MINIMUM of 100w per plant in Veg, 150 per plant in Flower. Assuming your circuit can handle the load, I would suggest adding splitters to all the sockets to increase the number of bulbs to 8, and 2700K color temp works best for flower.

Just remember that as the plant grows taller, the top will receive light the way its supposed to, but the rest of the plant will grow further away, and won't get the light that it needs.

Yeah I'm using a foil baking pan for a reflector. It works really well and it's not very expensive. I will get more splitters and more bulbs for flowering stage.

Yeah foil will burn if leaves touch or to close. Just like anything else. I haven't had no problems out of heat or light burn.I guess you'll have to try it out. It works for me. If you need any tips feel free to ask.

Here's a pic of her today. I have a nitrogen problem right this minute. I'll get that fixed. She's just 2 months old. Grown under nothing but cfls every since germination.
IMG_20150301_111324.jpg

Like COorganics said, check out SweetSue's grow. If you get a few individual hanging bulbs you can place them where you need them. SOunds like you have enough space to even get a few clamping work lights - the kind with funnel reflectors.

I would already mix you spectrums. Throw in a couple 2700k bulbs. If you check out my grow, growth was stunted because I was predominately using 6500k bulbs. Yours is doing better better than mine...that's partially what got me using only those bulbs. Plenty of people were seeing results, but I never did. As soon as I added more red/orange spectrum my plants exploded. Lesson learned...they are smaller than I would have wished.

Yeah I just got done looking at sweet sue. I'm planning on upgrading a few things. This is my first time ever growing. I did some research and just gathered stuff I had around the house. It's realty surprised me on how good its really doing. I will get a few more bulbs and hand them lower for my lower bud sites. I will also do a mixed spectrum. I'll have to go buy more bulbs cause all I have around the house are some 14 watts 2700k.

Yeah I just got done looking at sweet sue. I'm planning on upgrading a few things. This is my first time ever growing. I did some research and just gathered stuff I had around the house. It's realty surprised me on how good its really doing. I will get a few more bulbs and hand them lower for my lower bud sites. I will also do a mixed spectrum. I'll have to go buy more bulbs cause all I have around the house are some 14 watts 2700k.

Those will be fine in a pinch.

bigred,, i have some cfl info. on my journal. I build a panel, connect it sll up, to code as well,, be safe pal,, cheers. the link is below,, niveks need to know,

Thanks nivek. You have a lot of good information that's very helpful. I like how you did your setup. Your plant to me is beautiful. I know what you mean about doing thing at the wrong time. That's what's happening to me. It's basically tried as l and error. So far so good. Only mistake I made so far is nutrients burn and a nitrogen problem. I'm gonna beef up my light setup. I'm thinking about putting it in flowering stage next week or two. But before I do I'll scrog my plant

Found this image conveniently, unfortunately its not of a 6500k bulb but close enough. Also its for larger bulbs...but whatever...if you over lay the spectrum graphs you will see that you have a greater variety of light to hit all of the pigments that absorb light during photosynthesis.

test.jpg

Not the best graphs, and not created for the same scale of absorbance... but you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom