Water filtration

DRM Ranch

I was gifted an older 5 stage RO system which will sport new filters if I can find out exactly which fit, I assume I can manage that.

My question is this, at what point do you change out the filters? I read that pre filters are a 6 month kind of deal and the membrane is far longer lived.

I drive across the states and have experienced some pretty rank local water, and I'm sure these places might need a better filter system that say some guy who uses bottled distilled water.

DRM ranch

Filters come in standard sizes and are common. Membranes can last up to 2-3 years depending on feed water, Iron in the water plugs them pretty fast as it can't be rinsed out, mine last less then 6 mo. The carbon post (polishing) filters are more for residual taste and odor and you can not use them if you want as the carbon block filter before the membrane takes care of any nasty stuff. The first 2 pre filters are cheap, lifespan depends again on feed water quality, the first one picks up most of the particles and is the first one to go the second lasts longer. You'll see as you go.

How are you determining when to change out prefilters, I'm assuming the membrane is still doing its job and reducing ppm, so I'm further assuming output slows as prefilters get full of whatever it is the get full of?

Back
Top Bottom