Absolutely weird!

LoveGreen

So yesterday, I posted a thread asking some questions. You can find it here: Please help! No leaves!

I found that the tap root was growing upwards and the cotyledons were growing inside the soil.
No_leaves1.jpg

Once the members here helped me and told me that I could turn it upside down, I was baffled and did the same. Just like they said, I found the leaves inside. I gently turned it upside down and allowed it to get some CFL light. The plant is about 16 inches away from the light.

Leaves24.jpg

Today, I again found another seedling acting the same way and was growing inside the soil. What's going on here?

Withering_seedlings2.jpg

I bought the seeds from a reputed company and I'm not sure if I can post the name here, so I'll just let that be. Out of 6 seeds, only 3 germinated and out of those 3, only 1 has popped out and is growing properly. The other two are almost dying as you can see and I have no idea about what I can do. They are just withering away.

Withering_seedlings.jpg

Withering_seedlings3.jpg

These are Jack Herer Autos and I'm completely worried about whether every seed is going to turn up like this. The temperature is about 30 C (86 f) and I have two fans blowing air too. The pH is 6 and I have germinated many seeds successfully and have always planted them UP.

Can anyone tell me why this is going on? I searched the net but couldn't find good answers.

PS: I have put up another 3 seeds for germination (pineapple express) and if they behave the same way, I wouldn't know what to do. Please help!

Thanks!

Hi paddy and thank you for your quick reply. I planted the seed with the tap root up and not down. I can adjust the pH to about 6.5 but that would mean soaking it with water again, so I'll wait for it to dry. Yes, temp is a lil high and I'm hoping it will cool down a bit. I'm not using much light because they are small seedlings. The CFL is only 90 watts and I will switch on the LED (300 watts) after they grow up a bit. No release nutes in the jiffy plugs. I have used them a lot of times and have neer had any issues.

Hi Love Green!! The Ph in the jiffy plugs are high and its too dense. a lot of people don't recommend using jiffy. i planted 11 seeds in jiffy and only 6 came up. 1 of them was growing upside down , 1 still had its seed shell on its leaves . 1 was mutant . so now 2 of those died and the other 4 are stunted .
IMAG004926.jpg
the one with the leaves is the one that grew upside down the other one ,as you can see, still has part of its shell stuck to is leaves. so i went and bought a burpee system that uses coco coir . now almost all of the seeds planted came up. i will post a pic later of the new system. good luck!!

It is normal for shell to still be on seedling once sprouted it will shed them.

If you sow seed a Lil deeper it will shed before exiting peat pod or coco pod or whatever

I use rapid rooter either peat or coco plugs.

I have seen many sites suggest that I should plant it with root up.. So I'm not sure now. I'll stop using jiffy plugs from now on....damn this is just horrible but thank you guys

But root down encourages it without light causing the full reaction.

There's a ton of miss information out there this site has reputable growers. Most sites would scof at bud washing.

i always drop my seed from about 5/6 inches hoping to get it at the centre of the pot , i have damp soil not soaked , i then put a little layers over the seed and give a little mist/spray , then i spray a little daily , ive only had one never sprout , ive just done about 12 seeds with no problems , my method is just like mother nature :)

IMG_064324.JPG

these are my new babies. these sprouted about 7-11 days ago. this flat was mosly full with new seedlings but had to transplant about 5 of them. these one will be getting a new home soon. sorry about the blurriness i didn't realize it was blurry

IMG_065436.JPG
IMG_065533.JPG

this is one of my survivors from the jiffy and i took these today . she hasn't grown much and im not sure why other then being in the jiffy.
IMG_065731.JPG
this is her compared to one of the new ones from the coco coir that sprouted 10 days ago.

well there are so many arguments about this that I'm confused. I'm going to try with pointy side down and see how it goes. I will also stop using jiffy plus, thanks to norton's advice :)

Thanks guys

I wanted to gain as much experience as I could with bag seeds before I experimented with expensive ones. So, I germinated about 20 seeds just last month and all of them sprouted in jiffy plugs, even when I planted the tap root facing up. This is why I'm so confused. They say that you should do what you're comfy with, but since my attempts are failing, I am getting very upset with this. Is there a lot of difference between bag seeds and seeds bought from companies?

Back
Top Bottom