Cloning Issues

Dave Groomer

Hey everyone. I am having some issues with cloning. Not sure what I am doing wrong. 1 week ago I took 4 clones from my Train Wreck. Put a 45 degree cut on the bottom, gently scrape the "bark" and dipped them in Roottech gel. They were put in rabid rooters and place under a humidity dome. The temps were between 70-80 the whole time and dome was sprayed twice daily with water and the rabid rooters were kept moist. They have never taken off. I checked them today and there is zero root production. What am I doing wrong? :peace:

Takes about 10 to 14 day on average for clones to root with some strains being longer.

I find it best to make the cut just below a node point for better results :thumb:

I'm not so sure about spraying the plants with grow. To me that sounds like the wrong thing to do but I could be totally off base with that. Anyway, I have had roots in a week but very rarely usually it's 10 days or two weeks or even longer.

I'm not so sure about spraying the plants with grow. To me that sounds like the wrong thing to do but I could be totally off base with that. Anyway, I have had roots in a week but very rarely usually it's 10 days or two weeks or even longer.

It was suggested to me by guy at my local hydro shop. They look like they are dying as it is. I figured "what can it hurt". :peace:

To me they always look like they are starting to yellow and die just around the time they start to grow roots. But my understanding is they don't need nitrogen at this time because that is counter productive for what we are trying to do. I could be wrong

Not sure what rabid rooter is, but yes mine average about 10 days to root, and I don't see any progress like little roots hairs coming out till a week or so. And as soon as it starts to form roots it only takes a day or so for mine to poke out of the rock wool. I would suggest misting less often as they get older and also let your media to dry out a bit to a damp instead of wet. I cut mine about 1/4 inch below a node at 45degrees and cut off the growth at the node and make sure its all pushed into media. I've had 100% success so far without rooting gel or hormones. Lastly probably not a good idea to use any king of nutes. Hope this helps.

Also try to keep from looking, could potentially break any small delicate roots that do form.

supergroomer: did you adjust the pH of your rockwool? You have to soak it in water adjusted to a pH of about 5.5 before putting the clones in. Rockwool naturally has a pretty alkaline pH, so if you didn't adjust it that could be why you're having a problem now.

You should cut the branch you want to clone off the plant and immerse it in a pan with distilled water at a ph in the 6.0-6.3 range. Then using a scalpel or a razor blade make your 45 degree cut and whatever scraping you want to do. Then remove your fresh cutting from the water and dip it into your rooting hormone. Also make sure everything is sterile before you start. You can also put a little rooting hormone in your pan of water. I use half strength Roots Excelurator and have very good results.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom