Oh no! Problems so close to the end! Please Help!

nightOWL

hey all! i'm halfway through week 7 of flowering in 2x 5 gallon bucket dwc. I've got two plants -one in each bucket - an AK-48 and a northern lights. I've been adding 3 gallons of nutrient solution to each bucket on friday and then split one more bucket between them on monday or tuesday. humidity is near constant in the low 40s temps go from mid 50s to low 70s.

about the 4th week of flowering i started to notice a few of the fan leaves starting to yellow on the northern lights... i assumed it was just part of flowering and it was giving up on the non essential leaves? i've seen some leaves fall from the bottom every so often. It's been staying about the same, maybe a few more leaves each week, but the overall plant seemed ok and flowers looked good...

This morning, right before the lights went out (i run them overnight) i peeked in and the northern lights looks sick... more yellowed and sickly... i'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures...

what should i do? i thought i should harvest to save the flowers, but i haven't flushed yet... should i even try to salvage these? will the taste or high be off with the stress to the plant?

this has been a crazy long grow for me... learning along the way, but i'm on freaking day 169 since germination. the ak-48 plant looks fine

Just to make it that much clearer- can you take some pics of the plants in more natural light, or at least of some of the leaves? I won't have the answers to why this happened, but am very curious to see what people say caused it.
Do the affected leaves have dull grey/blackish areas?

plant is too big to move out of the tent... i took off one of the more messed up fan leaves sticking out of one of the bigger flowers... am i screwed?

I don't know. I hope not- because then I am too, Lol. Or at least one of my plants is.
In my case my leaf tips are curling upwards mostly. It looks like a combination of deficincies to me- though I'm sooo not expert on the deficincies. I've found that if I keep my ph right and don't overwater- everything works out. This really caught me by surprise- because everything seems fine with the levels, and consistent with how it's been for years. Not that my plants are always perfect by a long shot, and this is a newish strain for me, but this seems so drastic-I don't get it....

You said these are DWC. Any chance you can show us a pic of the roots? My plants started looking crappy and leaves clawed and showed the gamut of deficiencies as a result of root rot. It's always heart wrenching when that happens after things have gone so well and when counting on a bountiful harvest. The plants that look worse can be harvested, but since there was no flush, I'd recommend doing a water cure, it will leach out the built up ferts that didn't have time to dissipate naturally. The call is yours comrade

The leaf you pulled off has black on it, usually a sign of necrosis. Have the roots been damaged lately at all? Any pests? I bet those low temps are hurting you, ideally you want temps between 68F-74F in flower. Humidity at 40% is fine. And what's your air flow like in there? Are the plants getting enough fresh air in there?

The leaf you pulled off has black on it, usually a sign of necrosis. Have the roots been damaged lately at all? Any pests? I bet those low temps are hurting you, ideally you want temps between 68F-74F in flower. Humidity at 40% is fine. And what's your air flow like in there? Are the plants getting enough fresh air in there?

as for the environment, i've got a air cooled light with the glass on that runs when the lights are on, and two vents open at the bottom of the tent and another fan pulling air out of the top of the tent. My dehumidifier is outside the tent and I'm in a place where odor doesn't matter.

so i had the plants growing well, but i had a 10 day trip for work thrust on my and nobody to look after the plants, on my original schedule it would have been during week 4 of flowering. so i decided to keep vegging and the plants turned into monsters... i haven't lifted the plants out in weeks because they're just too big and unwieldy now.

I think i'm going to start the water flush tonight though.. just get it going and see where the chips fall...

thanks for all the posts!

Mainly looks like a K-potassium def on the northern lights but if the AK48 is alright it may suggest a nutrient thing between strains !

Not all strains are the same as in nutrient requirements some are heavy feeders others are light feeders, it may just mean the N/L are slightly more heavy feeders... a P/K supplement might help ?

But...

The only other thing i can think off is the PH is off causing a lock out in the nutrient solution which is pretty important for any water growing method & may need to be checked daily to maintain a balance at this present stage of growth.

May need a PPM/EC pen or meter to keeps a check on things & PH pen etc :thumb:

Fuzzy- Could this be caused by under feeding then? I've never had a problem like that which wasn't ph related. Everything else being good with the environment, I flushed and dialed back the nutes, which were light to begin with. Then deciding it was a K deficincy, I gave the plant a full feeding a couple days ago in the hopes that it helps. Under feeding would seem like the main thing to point to so far in my case. A new one to me though.

Ye that is good question my ol china :thumb:

Well we don't know if nutrients used are cut down just yet ?

If the strain is a heavy feeder it would suggest it is not getting enough of some thing and nutrients need to be increased which may well look like under feeding for the time being ?

Nutrient guide lines are only a rule of the thumb & doesn't work out all the time for every strain.

It could be a PH thing as DWC or water culture is used for this grow a PH/PPM swing can happen in 24 hours depending on whether the plant is drinking more water or using more nutrients, the flowering time can be pretty demanding as lots is going on.

Yeah that makes sense if he was away for so long. I'm growing in promix and my ph is fine. Just hijacking the thread a little in the hopes it brings up possibilities. Under feeding causing such damage isn't something I've come across before with my plants.

Sounds like ya been lucky my ol slippery Weasel :thumb:

I once did run into problems with one strain i grew some time ago but that was with organic nutrients & went total pear shape with K def... it can happen to the best of us tho...

Ye the break away from home & lack of care for 10 days seems very suspect can be quite hard to pull off well with water culture systems.

Just for the record- the symptoms of k deficiency in my case turned out to be caused by under feeding. Fearing it was nute burn or salts buildup I was getting increasingly cautious with the nutes - then I flushed and all hell broke loose- some of my plants looked just like the pics above. I gave them a full dose of nutes and was back in business. Live and learn...

Hey- I don't - though I could try sometime when I'm back there (I'm away a lot atm) but I'm not sure there's not much to see. On the worst plant the leaves had been dying off - spreading quickly from the tips first. The other plants leaves were starting to yellow and look sickly. The plants affected still won't win any beauty contests. I trimmed the dead leaf ends off at the same time I gave them a full feeding. The problem stopped - and the plants look more or less the same as they did- kind of trashed, but started putting on good bud growth again. If this had been a problem during veg- they would all outgrow the symptoms. Because it was halfway through flowering there's no new leaf growth and I'm stuck with what I have. The buds are still doing well enough though, and I'm happy to have figured out the cause of the problem:thumb:

Ps- those weren't my pictures at the beginning of the thread- I just came along because I had the same deficincy symptoms-from different causes from the OP I think. So I have no before and after pics

Back
Top Bottom