how can i grow a massive root system?

fallan12

I was reading thru the net to find some more information and shit, but i was listening to a video and it started to talk about root systems and it got me to thinking how can i increase root growth not just increase but stimulate the growth of my roots i was thinking of using a chemical to kick start them into growing strong roots and plants and or using a homemade compost. but i was just wondering if u guys/girls knowing anything and got any tips or experiences growing a vigorous root system let me know good and bad experiences are all welcome

Re: how can i grow a massive root system??

Use air pots.

009722.JPG
004913.JPG
003985.JPG

Might want to look into some finer details of them this might help.

Air Pot info...

The Air-Pot ™ is a recyclable, reusable plastic container that actively enhances the root system of plants. The Air-Pot ™ is suitable for use with a wide range of growing media and is used in passive or hydroponics systems.

Whether you choose to grow in soil or hydro, Air-Pot’s ™ allow your plants to develop a remarkable radial root system that simply cannot be matched in any other growing container.

The Air-Pot ™ is delivered to you as flat packed kit that assembles in seconds. After harvest, the Air-Pot is quickly removed from the root complex and can be stored flat until the next time it is needed.

The Air-Pot ™ is made from extra tough 100% re-cycled HDPE plastic and can be used again and again and again...

* Prevent root circling
* Increase root mass
* Improve nutrient uptake
* Improve oxygenation
* Reduce crop times
* Reduce transplant shock
* Faster growth rates
* Higher yields

The walls of the Air- Pot ™ are made up of inward pointing cones and open ended outward pointing cones. There are no flat surfaces on the inside of the container to deflect the roots and start the circling process.

The inward pointing cones direct the roots towards the open ended cones where, because the air density in the medium is too great, the root tips dehydrate and are “air-pruned”.

The plant responds to this "air-pruning" by sending out more roots to compensate for the loss. This very quickly leads to the entire volume of medium being filled with a vast number of highly active root tips and no unhealthy circling roots. The shear mass and efficiency of the root system increases the plants uptake by approximately 15% leading to accelerated growth and higher yields.

The porosity of the Air-Pot ™ also creates better conditions for bacterial activity which further increases the amount of nutrients available to the plant.

The raised base prevents plants from standing in water or on cold surfaces providing superior oxygenation and better conditions for growth.

Air-Pot™ freqently asked questions

Q: What is the best type of system to use with the Air-Pot™?
A: The most popular systems used with the Air-Pot™ are Top Fed Drip Irrigation systems, Flood & Drain and Passive Systems (hand watering).

Q: What types of growing medium can I use in the Air-Pot™?
A: The Air-Pot™ can be used with most types of growing media. Soil, Coco, Rockwool and Mapito are all good choices for Drip Irrigation or hand watering and Expanded Clay Pebbles are most commonly used in Flood & Drain systems.

Q: Will the growing medium fall through the bottom of the Air-Pot™?
A: The ‘Hydro Edition’ Air-Pot™ has a special Grid Base that is designed to prevent medium loss whilst still allowing maximum aeration around the base. Growing media such as soil will form a ‘bridge’ over this base and not fall through. If you are using an extra fine growing medium you can add a layer of spreader matt, or Grow Cubes in the base if necessary.

Q: Should the Air-Pot™ be used inside a normal container?
A: No. The Air-Pot™ is a free standing unit that is used instead of a normal container.

Q: Will the light damage the plants roots?
A: No. The roots are air pruned before they emerge from the Air-Pot™.

Q: Is the Air-Pot™ reusable?
A: Yes. The Air-Pot™ is made from an extremely tough, recycled plastic that can be used again and again. After you have finished growing, simply unscrew the fixing and unwrap the Air-Pot™ from around the medium. The Air-Pot™ will come away cleanly and easily. The Air-Pot™ can be stored flat until the next time it is needed.

Q: How frequently should I water my plants in Air-Pots™?
A: One of the major advantages of growing in Air-Pots™ is the increased root activity leads to a substantial increase in the plant’s demand for water and nutrient. This increased uptake allows plants to grow faster and more vigorously, reducing production time and increasing yields. Extensive field trials have shown an average increase in uptake of 15%. Hydroponics growers using Flood &Drain systems may need to add extra watering cycles per day to keep up with the plants increased demand. Growers using Drip Irrigation systems will benefit from using a ‘pulse irrigation’ technique rather than a single large watering per day. If you are hand watering, daily watering will be fine but we would recommend automatic feeding if you intend leaving your plants for extended periods.

Q: What size Air-Pot™ should I use?
A: Commercial growers using soil and coco fibre have found they are able to maintain the same level of productivity using an Air-Pot™ that is 30% lower in volume than their standard containers. This saves on medium and allows a higher number of plants to be grown, which further increase productivity, see our size guide for more info.

Here is a suggested guide to help you choose the right sized Air-Pot™...

1 litre
Used to grow rooted seedling or clones. It produces an extremely hardy young plant with a root structure that allows it to transplant much more effectively into larger pots
* Dimensions: Diameter = 100mm Height = 145mm Volume =1.02ltrs

3 litre
Mainly used in intensive hydroponic or coco systems. Plants can be grown up to 60cm tall
* Dimensions: Diameter = 150mm Height = 235mm Volume =3.01ltrs

6 litre
These can be used for full term growth and bloom where space is an issue. They can also be used to keep mother plants when space is limited. Plants can be grown up to 90cm tall
* Dimensions: Diameter = 195mm Height = 280mm Volume =6ltrs (Fits Wilma 4 & 8 Pot System)

10 litre
These are the most popular with soil growers. Plants can be grown up to 100cm. They are also used as long term containers for mother plants
* Dimensions: Diameter = 230mm Height = 320mm Volume =10ltrs

15 litre
These are popular with soil growers who prefer a larger plant. Plants can be grown up to 120cm. They are also used as long term containers for mother plants
* Dimensions: Diameter = 270mm Height = 330mm Volume =15ltrs

20 litre
These are used when the grower has plenty of space. Plants can be grown up to 200cm. They are also a popular choice for outdoor growing
* Dimensions: Diameter = 312mm Height = 315mm Volume =19.5ltrs

Mycos and air/fabric pots help a lot.

I keep seeding´s and clones in quart / 1L pots for 4 weeks and let them dry till leafs start to hang down 1x.
Up-pot to 1 gal / 4L for 2-3weeks and also let them dry 1x.
Up-pot to 5 gal 1 week before flip to bloom.

Let them dry in veg stimulates the root building.

Up-pot 1 -> 5 gal look like this.

IMG_20141202_211750.jpg

Air pots are a good idea. Some chemicals or mixtures out there can definitely boost the root growth too, but that will take some research. Keeping the beneficial microbes well fed in the medium will also help. And of course, keep it bug free :)

for the chemicals wht should i use ??
i just started with chems and i been using " super bloom" by greenlite and so vitamin b1

im not i just started im seeing wht results compared to my organic grow i have done in the past. i also have compost being composted at the moment in the backyard for next season all organic. and was just seeing if i could get ideas on both organic and chemical use.

Well some brands of nutrients do a solution for root growth which are basically a micro nutrient formulation.

I've been using a root complex solution by Hesi for seedlings, early veg and after potting up with good results.

Fuzzy u like those air pots lol. Im leaning toward trying them, i wonder if u could rtf (recycle top feed) auto watering say 2 times a day? A good drench then a good dry so lots of o2

Killer roots in rdwc this is current in a 12 gal res @ 68f with a chiller and h202.. but im in a warm climate so looking for an alternative to use during warmer months.
R....

20150522_211411.jpg

If you want to use a root booster in nute form I can recommend either Cannazym combined with Canna Rhizotonic. If you dislike Canna products then Advanced Nutrients do a similar product Called Sensizym. I'm no expert grower though so it might be best to check with growers that are more experienced than me. One thing I will say is that I had some bad issues with my plants including a couple falling over. After using these products they strengthened up and managed to reach harvest. All the best :thumb:

Kriaze, im doing exactly that right now as a compare. Those roots in rdwc on previous page had nothing but pythoff and salts my clones for next round hav been feed with some rhizo . I think it may help in the begining stages and kick start a healthy Plant. Root temps are a problem for me so i chill and kill in there ...
In saying that, i am in a del'emer because i want to reduce whats going on. But i thhink it all comes down to your environment

Fuzzy u like those air pots lol. Im leaning toward trying them, i wonder if u could rtf (recycle top feed) auto watering say 2 times a day? A good drench then a good dry so lots of o2

Killer roots in rdwc this is current in a 12 gal res @ 68f with a chiller and h202.. but im in a warm climate so looking for an alternative to use during warmer months.
R....

20150522_211411.jpg

Ye i've heard of them being used in a dripper system before :thumb:

Considering a retro fit hempy bucket myself with a suitable size air pot in a 5 gallon bucket on a timed drip feed with hydroton clay pebbles, i guess that would be a recirculating drip feed hempy bucket which would be vastly more efficient on nutrients than the normal run to waste system of the standard hempy bucket design.

Back
Top Bottom