Other plants to grow along side cannabis

I found some good info after using the right search terms. "Companion farming" is a term used in permaculture where two or more plants are thoughtfully planted next to each other for the benefit of one or many other plants. After finding a few websites I decided to summarise what I've found.

Green/snap/string beans (bush variety)
Add nitrogen to the soil, 45-60 days to harvest and I like to eat them. A user on another forum said that they veg alongside a bean crop and don't need to add any nutrients during this phase. However the soil does need inoculating specifically for beans.

Clovers
Adds nitrogen to the soil and require no effort.

Alfalfa
Fixes the soil with nitrogen while also accumulating iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium. Can also be made into Alfalfa meal (ground and dried alfalfa) which is a great fertiliser for flowering.

Coriander
Deters aphids and spider mites. I like the taste :)

Basil
Deters lots of pests, smells great and tastes great too.

Chives
Similar to basil and also attracts beneficial worms.

There are lots of great plants that can be planted alongside cannabis and I've simply listed a few of my favourites. People may be thinking that this info is for outdoor growers but definitely not. For lots of good info search "companion planting cannabis" for lots of great info.

Peace and love

Sometimes I like to grow some herbs next to my moms or veg plants. They don't need much light so they can sit below my hydro tables to the side and grow just fine. I've been experimenting with Chrysanthemum Pyrethrin plants inside as the pryrethrin that they produce is a very effective pesticide that is helpful in the control of many bugs. But they seem to grow better outside so I might just wait until next season and try to grow a bunch outside and then save the flower heads in the freezer or something.

i grow coriander in my box and always had great results, true it was more for the herb itself but have never had mites.....

just done some research in to alfalfa and as an additive to compost or mulch it looks like the perfect fertilizer with a bit of worm tea for good measure..lol

Sometimes I like to grow some herbs next to my moms or veg plants. They don't need much light so they can sit below my hydro tables to the side and grow just fine. I've been experimenting with Chrysanthemum Pyrethrin plants inside as the pryrethrin that they produce is a very effective pesticide that is helpful in the control of many bugs. But they seem to grow better outside so I might just wait until next season and try to grow a bunch outside and then save the flower heads in the freezer or something.

Hey iwltfum, thanks for chiming in. Have you got any pictures you could share with us?

just done some research in to alfalfa and as an additive to compost or mulch it looks like the perfect fertilizer with a bit of worm tea for good measure..lol

Yeah man! It's sounds awesome like a 2 fold symbiotic relationship, restoring nitrogen during veg and providing good nutrients during flower. Here's some info that you may have read "Alfalfa contains the hormone, Triacontanol, a plant growth regulator. Alfalfa meal can be top dressed and watered in. But quicker benefits are had when alfalfa is brewed into a tea."

Have you got any pictures you could share with us?

Unfortunately, not right now. I put them outside for the growing season. I will most likely plant another round of basil, parsley, mint, and oregano this fall. Maybe I'll come back to this thread and post some pictures then.

Back
Top Bottom