Why aren't more people using hempy buckets?

Joebob69

I'm about to try my first hempy bucket grow, but in my research I've noticed that not a lot of people are using this method... Everything I've read says hempy is easy to manage and gives great results versus soil... Am I missing something here? It seems like such a good method that I'm just wondering why more people aren't using them?!

more growers are going for an organic approach & here hi brix approach to gardening, keeping distance from produce grown with synthetic fertiliser. People get great results using hempy buckets.

This is purely just my outside view as I have never tried hempy before, but, to me, it seems like the lazy man's dwc (I'm not calling anyone lazy, just the best expression for the job). And if you have the supplies to make a dwc, why would you run hempy over dwc? This is more conjecture than based on any evidence whatsoever. I haven't researched it enough to really know. This is just my "first impression". If anyone can inform me of the benefits of hempy over dwc, I would really appreciate your point of view...

This is purely just my outside view as I have never tried hempy before, but, to me, it seems like the lazy man's dwc (I'm not calling anyone lazy, just the best expression for the job). And if you have the supplies to make a dwc, why would you run hempy over dwc? This is more conjecture than based on any evidence whatsoever. I haven't researched it enough to really know. This is just my "first impression". If anyone can inform me of the benefits of hempy over dwc, I would really appreciate your point of view...

Perfectly said. :thanks:

I just don't have a store where I can pick up a bag of perlite. And for some reason paying to order that big fluffy bundle in by mail seems all wrong. Or- I'm just procrastinating and haven't got around to doing hempy yet. But I'm wondering the same thing- why it's not more popular.

I just don't have a store where I can pick up a bag of perlite. And for some reason paying to order that big fluffy bundle in by mail seems all wrong. Or- I'm just procrastinating and haven't got around to doing hempy yet. But I'm wondering the same thing- why it's not more popular.

To many other options. :morenutes:

Every grower's answer to that issue is different. For me DWC overheats while hempy seem to work well. Like I said... many variables. If I could get away with an active hydro setup, I would. Hempy has really been wonderful in my world.

That's why I'm trying hempy... Because dwc is too warm during the summer here. I plan on doing hempy during the warmer months and dwc during the cooler months...

I ran a hempy grow only once tho to see what it was all about.

PICT000266.JPG
PICT000157.JPG

As you can see pretty alright results :thumb:

The only down side is that it is a run to waste system & you have to work out where the waste go's also it is a little bit more costly on nutrients.

Oh ye perlite and medium to big plants are not very stable.

A part from that ye they rock...

Doc Bud did hempy awhile back with Osmocot + along side AN nutes. The Osmocote was both very inexpensive and outperformed the expensive nutes. Soil may give better flavor but hempy with a good time release is easy and fast plus I imagine the runoff can be dumped around the yard without over powering the flora.

you can grow hempy in any size. from a solo cup to a 5 gallon bucket. it all depends on size of available space. a friend that introduced me to hempy grows in 2 liter bottles and averages about 2-3 ounces per. he only vegs for 3 weeks though. hempy is a great way for the beginner to get great product with high yield. i don't do DWC because i don't have a cooling system for my rez. with hemp you are changing your rez everytime you water so you don't have to worry about the temps too much. if you get too hot in your DWC rez you will have a world of problems. just my opinion. hempy is great, easy, and cheap.

Watcha mean by that Fuzzy? If I was going to grow a hempy I'd want a medium or big one or two for sure. Also JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015 is growing a large plant and it looks very nice.

Ye just briefly skipped over the journal & pretty amazing results :Namaste:

Well i just used a standard bucket with tapered sides & at the time i had to move the plants out of the tent to water for run to waste, not a very good method i must admit.

This may give a little idea on how i done it being my first attempt of hempy & not to far from the method used in the link you provided.

PICT000554.JPG

Now when moving the girls about with a good solid root mass i would get some movement with in the bucket & purely would put it down to the tapered sides of the bucket at the end of day.

A bucket with straight sides should not present a problem.

I hope that clears up a minor issue of being stable :thumb:

Oh I see now what you mean by stable F Duck. Stable in the basic gravitational sense. Thanks. I thought your finished plant looked pretty damn nice actually

Watcha mean by that Fuzzy? If I was going to grow a hempy I'd want a medium or big one or two for sure. Also JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015 is growing a large plant and it looks very nice.

Thanks for pimping my journal Weasel!

As for me, I started with a soiless medium and wanted to try hydro. I was going to do a DWC grow, and started buying all the stuff for it, and then I found the Hempy method. This appealed to me for a few reasons:

1. It's cheap. A giant bag of perlite is ~$15 USD, and a bucket is a few more. It's even reusable if you're into that.

2. There is no reservoir to cool. For me, this was the deciding factor, as I would have had to buy a chiller, which is expensive.

3. With DWC, many growers have to adjust the pH daily. Seeing as I dislike adjusting my water enough every few days, I didn't want to do it EVERY day.

4. It can be unattended for several days if needed (3-4 in my case).

Of course there are downsides to it too, like more waste, transplanting is difficult/not recommended, and like Fuzzy said, your plant may become top-heavy.

Just my opinion, but I would recommend it to anyone. Especially new growers, as they have enough to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom