Small room

paganini

Hello experts:

My problem is osteoarthritis. They just approved mmj here in PR but to buy it is another thing because health insurance or VA patients are not covered for mmj. I have many broken bones and lots of screws in my body and I will turn 70 this coming January.

All I need is about half a join before bed time or when am hurting due to weather. So for me a small grow room will be fine.

If I can grow two plants at the time that will be plenty for me. How big of a grow room is what I would like to know. If growing two plants at the time, it means It would be 4 because when the two go into flowering stage I will have two others in veggie stage.

I would appreciate inputs on two small grow areas, one for veggie and one for flowering. What lighting will I need for each, and what variety seeds.

Hello Paganini

From what you are saying, you likely wouldn't use much more than an ounce a month if that. To save yourself money, you could easily get away with just one small grow room or tent. Most indica or indica dominate strains only require about 2 months flower time, and if you veg'ed them for 3 months, you could harvest 2x a year from one room and light and likely produce more than you need.

In my indoor grow, I have a space 3'6 x 3'6 with a Mars Hydro M2 900 LED light. I am just starting to harvest now, 5 months after planting the seeds, and should have between 8 and 12 ounces off 4 plants when everything is dried.

As for strains to try, there are others on here who could likely give you a better idea. I am growing 4 different Bomb Seed strains to try, very easy to grow and train, but none are ready for me to try yet to see how they do for pain relief and insomnia.

Thanks TheCelt for your super fast reply. I have also been reading a lot about it. Just that not so sure about the lights. I did see in a chart that for LED lighting you need 22.75 per square foot. I am thinking of two four square feet areas. I did see a 225W light very cheap and two will be fine for me. Just that they only ship to the lower 48 and not here in Puerto Rico. I may be able to manage that, but want to make sure I am buying the correct equipment. I will build the room and have a pretty good idea about how to. Is just the lighting and the size of the rooms. About seeds I have read of where to buy and that they sell females only, but also came across people saying is not true, that some turn male.

Morning Paganini

The strength of your lights and the way you train your plants will have a relatively large factor in final weights. I was a noob myself 6 months ago LOL You can check out my journal in my signature to see what I was attempting, I am running about 36w/sqft.

If you want some really good info on growing and LED lights, do a search for CO Finest posts, he is a medical grower with extensive experience including LED lights.

As for female seeds, all my Bomb seeds were feminized seed and every one is a female, I got no males out of the 19 seeds that sprouted. I started with 25 seeds, 5 didn't sprout and I accidently killed one seedling

Thanks, I am looking at lots of youtubes including CO Finest. Very interesting stuff.

Hey Paganini

The other thing you may want to investigate and consider would be the Auto-Flowering strains, you can go from seed to harvest under the same light schedule and still only requires one light. I don't know much about them but most are only 60-70 days from seed to harvest I believe. That way you could stagger planting them by a month and harvest every month or so.

High Paganini

I too have the arthritis and use pot for it and depression and insomnia etc etc. lol

For the arthritis I find eating the pot works better. I make cookies using kief I've screened from the sugar trim and popcorn buds. Just add the kief to the cookie dough and mix it in. I bake the cookies longer than needed to make sure the THC etc get activated. One cookie and an hour later I'm ready for bed. Still feel buzzed for most of the next day but I wake up with greatly reduced pain and it stays that way all day. For the depression a very small toke in the pipe with a sativa dominant strain really lifts my mood for a few hours. I'm almost 61 but luckily don't have any screws or plates in me anywhere.

Your problem is setting up some grow space and getting some pot to work with.

TheCelt's idea of using feminized auto plants is a good one. You could start 2 new seeds every month and after about 2 month or a bit more would be harvesting 2 plants every month and your grow space would always be full. No worries about light leaks as they will grow and flower fastest and best under 24 hour light. Smaller 2 gal pots would be big enough to get at least an oz off each plant if they have decent food.

Bigger yields can be realized from larger regular plants but anything over a couple feet tall will need lots more light to get those yields. I generally get 3 oz/plant growing in 4 gal pots with soilless ProMix and hydro nutes and around 5 oz with the same plant grown in DWC with the same nutes. I'm using 2 - 400W HPS grow lights to do that tho.

Plants do very well vegging with good old T-12 shop lights or CFLs but for flowering you want a good LED or HID maximize bud
development.

There's lots to think about to set up a grow space but it doesn't have to be all hi-tech to get decent results.

L8r

Thanks guys. Very good information. I did come across a Excelvan PG01 LED Hydroponic Plant Grow Light.
14 Watt Power,225 High Power LEDs. is only about $34 and free shipping to Puerto Rico. Is very hard to find sellers that will ship here. I would like to know if this light will work for the auto-flowering strains.

If I am making a mistake posting the brand led light, please erase but would like to know if that will work. I have to deal directly from China because I have bad experiences ordering direct besides, taking a long time.

I first want to know what light will I need for just two Auto-Flowering plants. Then I can start to look for it. A reason I posted above the one I came across. I don't think I need such a powerful lighting for just two plants creating more heat and too much light will be unused.

You can grow two sad weak plants with no yield with a 14w setup.
But the amount of light you use directly affects yield. Usually you get around 1 gram per watt of light if you know how to optimize the rest. It will be more like .5 grams per watt if new.
So grow with 14w and you are lucky to get 7 grams. Put in the $189 Mars 2 400 which draws 180w and you are likely to get 90-180g of dried flowers... Pays for itself twice over in first grow.
Mars 2 400 does not put out much heat and the light will not be unused.

Are you sure about that? No mention of it on their website. They ship everywhere from China. Ask Sara on here if she can ship you a Mars 2

Sara? I saw various sellers here but no one with a name Sara. Can you post the link on her classified ad.

I sent her a private message saying she should comment on this thread. She answered by pm instead and said yes we ship to Puerto Rico so there is your answer.
No point in growing with a 14w light, get something with 170-300w would be better.
Here is my older grow witn only two plants in 520w in a 2x4 cabinet of mine:
Two Chocolope Plants Under Two Eshine LED Panels in Hydro

Thanks Ottawagreen. I sent her an email but no answer. Also asked her in her Thread but seems that so many jump in with posts and overshadow mine, lol. Just sent her another email at a different address I found at the webpage. I see promotions including tents but I do not need the tent. Just the light. Since I have plenty of information for the growroom, I will start a new thread concerning seeds.

btw, would I need a carbon filter for just one or two plants?

Just got an answer from her. For the Hydro II 400W, 315 USD to PR is way too much. I will look for a different brand light.

btw, what I meant before was 225W, not 14W

Yes, the freight costs a lot from China to PR. It's better to pick it up in America. The cost will be much less.:Namaste:
Just got an answer from her. For the Hydro II 400W, 315 USD to PR is way too much. I will look for a different brand light.

btw, what I meant before was 225W, not 14W

Back
Top Bottom