Question About Portable Air Conditioner in Grow Tent

JuanCarlos

Portable air conditioner units have an exhaust hose that comes off and expels hot air. If you placed a portable air conditioner in your grow tent and used it to modulate your temps, could you run without an exhaust fan? Could you run your exhaust fan at a reduced speed? Wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding this.

Portable air conditioners could be made to work for a grow tent, but they do have a few downsides. Single hose units expel the hot air out through the exhaust hose but in doing so take some of the cooled air from the tent with it along with the smell. Dual hose units are a little more efficient in that they take air from outside the tent, cool the unit and exhaust the hot air. You would need a big tent for a portable ac, as they cant be tight against the wall and take up a fair amount of room. You could slow your exhaust fans or create a sealed environment and just use the fan for your carbon filter, but imo neither situation is ideal. I would recommend placing the ac on the outside of the tent, have your intake pulling off the ac and exhaust as usual, this would allow you to utilize the entire floor of the grow tent for flowers

Hello,
Lets say that the room is bigger than the tent you are growing in, so you have plenty of room for the Portable. Because the portable is creating negative air pressure, air is going to have to be replaced somehow. If the room is not sealed then the "make-up air" will be drawn in. If the air drawn in is from outside the room and is warmer with higher humidity wont this create other problems including lack of efficiency?

I realize this is an old post but I think I have something to add. It can work but you really need to have a dual hose model ac that will vent outside the room that the tent is placed in. This is because if the AC and tent are in the same room they exhaust into you will have more heat because it takes a large amount of exhausted heat to cool inside the tent. So the room will heat up and as the room heats up it will become less and less efficient.

Really if you wanted to do this inside a tent the best way would be to have a dual hose model and place it and the tent right next to a window or other way to vent outside the house. The one hose will pull in air from outside and the other hose will expel the air and humidity. It is a closed loop from outside intake to outside exhaust so no smell should be exiting the house in the AC exhaust. I know Stage will be doing basically this set up with his grow soon.

My tent recently had a broken air conditioner, I need a handyman right away or my crops will die, please!!!!
This is a very old thread, I doubt these people still hang around here. You are more likely to get some help if you post your own thread in the FAQ section and give some more info on the problem and what help it is that you need.

Back
Top Bottom