Temperatures

OTFmoney

Ok so my female has been flowering for about 2 weeks. She's an outside plant so I've let mother nature be the judge. The temperature around here is usually mid 90s. A cold front is coming at the end of the week & its supposed to be a "preview" of fall. Temperature drop, the high will be 65 with rain & cool winds. Will that hurt my plant any? Weather Man says the front will last 2 maybe 3 days before it rises.

Dumb question maybe but its my first grow. Not really wanting to screw up this close to harvest

Not much you can do to prevent mother nature! 65 isn't that bad it's the mid 90's that would concern me! For some shelter perhaps try covering them with a tarp... Kind of like an open end tent, still allowing good airflow but protected from the elements. If they show signs of heat stress you can do this as well for the heat! Remember they are a WEED and are much tougher than you may realize.

Thanks for the reply. Its crazy cause I thought the same thing when I first started. The heat was gonna be my enemy. But so far so good she's progressed very well. I'll try the tent idea just to be sure tho. It'll help her fight off the wind chill

Thank again

Hopefully. I uploaded a few pics on another thread you answered a question for me. Check em out see what you think. She's on her way just a few more weeks

I wouldn't really consider 65f to be low. I would be more worried about the low temp at night, than about the high temp during the day. If it's supposed to drop below 45f at night, I would cover them with some clear plastic (no thinner than 3 mill) for the duration of any night that it might get that cold.

What about cloudy days where there really isn't much sun?

If it's just supposed to be a cold spell, then I would just wait it out. 65 during the day is perfectly acceptable during mid/late bloom. The cold might actually bring out some nice trichome formation.

We know one thing for sure, over 90F in the shadow almost any plant will struggle with photosynthesis, and that includes cannabis, especially in flowering. Yes, landrace indicas and some hybids will respond to that with more trichomes production, but flower formation will slow down. Perfect temps for most strains are from mid 70s to low 80s, they will frost anyway in these conditions. But low tomid 60s are acceptable, it won't hurt the plant.

What if the lows are in the 40° to 50° degress for the week? Highs in the 70s. Should I cover her at least? Or she can handle it? 5 weeks into flowering already. It's supposed to rain a little bit & get a little cold. Might slow some flower growth but overall she can handle it right? She's been outdoors all her life

I guess it really gets cold where you're at, man. She'll survive, but will pack a lot of energy into surviving cold nights. That might cut into yield obviously. Is she a sativa or are you around 50-60N? You can mulch some straw or use horticultural fleece for the stem if you expect cold snaps.

I guess it really gets cold where you're at, man. She'll survive, but will pack a lot of energy into surviving cold nights. That might cut into yield obviously. Is she a sativa or are you around 50-60N? You can mulch some straw or use horticultural fleece for the stem if you expect cold snaps.

Not really just here lately since Fall is around the corner. I'm from Texas. I figured yield would decrease a little but not too bad. It won't be freezing temperatures just a dip like 45 for 3 days. Should I water her before the first cold night? Its supposed to rain will that help? I'm not too worried but like I said I ain't tryin to mess up my 1st grow this close to harvest.
IMG_20150929_154911132.jpg
IMG_20150929_154936363.jpg

Yep sativa-dominant something. If it's just a dip I wouldn't worry. Rain will actually help to pump up more buds, but she's in a pot so you can move her around, cover her or whatever.

I'm in the middle of curing my crop but I needed someone to hear me out to see if I'm doing this right.

Ok so I harvested Sunday morning. Hung the buds up that same day to dry, already trimmed, in the attic. Temperatures around here lately have been Highs of 76 Lows of 50 so I wasnt worried about heat. Yesterday I came home to hot temperatures in the attic. I could tell it was humid as fuck cause it rained & the air up there felt very humid. I dont have a temp/humidity gauge. So I panicked, knowing a little about mold I didn't want to lose the crop. I could smell the usual "fresh cut grass" smell or "wet hay", I know that's normal. But I didn't want mold to form. So I took them down and moved them into a big jar. Pretty much only let them hang & dry for 2 days. Is that bad? Also do I need to take them out of the jars to finish drying? How would I do that if I have to? Im trying different curing methods. I have about 7g in a brown paper bag inside my fridge. I took the biggest nugs and put them in a smaller mason jar. The rest are curing inside a big jar.

I just needed some pointers hopefully I don't fuck it up.
Anyway I can add a flavor or smell to the crop? Lemon peels?

I don't know why you get hay smell but it depends on how you grow. Plants should be drying untouched for at least 5-7 days, then you cut the buds, put them on a carton or paper for 24 hrs to release the extra moisture, and then you jar them after trimming. Many people trim wet but I don't do it anymore, better terpenes preservation that way, smoother smoke.

Well its not a hay smell, I was just trying my best to describe my question with detail so the reader could follow better. I understand I should have waited for them t dry but if you read my post you'll see that I panicked after having them hanging for 2 days. The temperature outside was 91, rained the day/night before. Can you imagine the temp/humidity inside an attic? I was sweating just standing there. That's why I took em down so fast, I was scared of mold forming if I left them up there for more days. But I'll try to spread the buds out on a carton or newspaper. I have very little leaves left to trim dry before I go back to putting the buds in the jars for curing. Sound good? I appreciate your feedback, anything is helpful.

Leave it, and wait until they do not stick anymore, they are lightly dry, then start curing. Otherwise you risk mold.

It is cold here at night, down to the40's. My girls are 2 months into flowering but not ready to pull. One of them has some beautiful purple leaves coming on :)

Back
Top Bottom