Drying in the desert

tim92109

I've never had an issue with drying my herbs... but I've never done it where the relative humidity is between 30 and 40% on a daily basis.

With the humidity this low, if I use the method I would normally use at the beach (hang 3 days, then cure in jars/ziplocks), it will be dry and brittle in a day.

Any suggestions here? Should I put a humidifier in the closet/drying chamber? Or just dry them in a very small area with no ventilation?

My plan is to maybe go with the humidifier unless I get some advice that I like better. In which case, what is a good humidity? 50%?

I live in a climate where the humidity is around 30-40% every day and I find that if I don't keep my drying room at around 50-60% the buds dried unevenly. The outside would be dry but the stems and insides of the thicker buds would still be bendable. Never got any herb to dry in one day though - fast for me is 3-4 days. I like my hangers to dry out in about 6-7 days. If it happens faster than that, then (in my situation) the air was probably too dry during the drying process.

Got it. I think when I said a day, the temperature here was in the 90s-100s. I think if I move the dry area into A/C, it will bump it up to 3 days. I'm still leaning on adding a humidifier on very low (and monitor to keep it at 50%).

Back
Top Bottom