Under-Watered Or Over-Watered With Pictures & Examples

I keep seeing threads asking for help where I'm sure the plants are being watered improperly. We all love our plants and want to do SOMETHING to help them along. Unfortunately, many new growers love their plants to death since watering is something they can do and plants need water - right?

I let a couple of plants wilt a little more than usual in hopes of documenting the difference in plants that need water and those that are getting too much (or have some other problem). I'm sure this has been done many times before here, but I had a quick opportunity to get a few photos, so here goes...

This first plant is in a 7 gallon pot.
On the left, the plant is thirsty. Note the leaves look pretty good. It is the tip of the stems/branches that are drooping.
On the right is the same plant that was kept wet for a while. Note the stems are straight but now the leaves are drooping and curled. She was drowning.
Over-Under_Watered.jpg

The next plant is in a 1 gallon pot.
Again, notice the leaves. They look good for the most part, but those stems are really having a hard time holding themselves up.
Thirsty3.jpg

This is the same plant 10 minutes later after a good drench. In another 10 minutes all leaves are pointing to the sky.
Watered.jpg

My tips for deciding on if you water too often are:

1- If you water your droopy plant, it should respond immediately. If it is still droopy an hour later, it didn't need water and you may have made the situation worse.

2- You are better off looking at the branches and stems to see if the plant needs water. They are the parts that droop first. If it is just the leaves that look sad, you probably have other issues.

3- Let your plants get dry. Never water daily, or on any set schedule unless you really know your plants. Likewise, don't stick your finger in the soil to see if it feels wet or dry. That won't tell you anything about the bottom of the pot. That's where the water-seeking roots are. It is also where the perched water table is. For small pots, lift them. They should be lighter than you expect. In fact, before you put a plant in a pot, get to know how heavy the pot and soil are. Weigh it if you need to.

I hope this helps someone. :Namaste:

re: Under-Watered Or Over-Watered With Pictures & Examples

I don't like the pot-weighing method there's gotta be something better than that and fingering the soil. Even when I try to get a feel for the pot dry it's never easy to remember how light it was and if it's not a big pot what is a person supposed to do, go buy a scale just for weighing pots? Not to criticize just never saw it as a solution. I have let plants wilt going by the weight because a pot felt heavy and overwatered because they felt light. It's no foolproof method.

I tend to try to get a feel for what the plant needs and just try to keep it drier than too wet. It's just quicker to add water than it is to get it to dry out so if you know you're going to have a bit if trial and error I think underwatering is less stressful just by the fact it only takes a minute to water a dry plant, takes hours or days to air out a drowning one--and by then it might be too late.

Overwatering leafs to fungus gnats too. I had Black Gold that held water for days and the plants didn't seem to mind but it was aparent it was too wet from the fungus gnats. Even when the top layers felt dry to the finger I could tell when it stayed wet too long because the gnats.

I think people often use containers that are too big too and that doesn't help either, especially when it comes to guessing by weight. A five gallon bucket with rocks and in the bottom either feels heavy or heavier. I like 3 gallon pots. Typically anything I can lift with one hand I can estimate better. Once I gotta start putting my shoulders into it, it's too hard to perceive. Just my experience.

Hi TheFertilizer,

I can appreciate your perspective and response. I kind of think PITA's post was probably directed toward the new or newer growers that haven't yet gained the level of experience that would allow them to get a feel for what the plant needs and stay just a tad on the drier side. I would also suggest that some folks just have "greener thumbs" than others as well and may also benefit from the post.

I truly appreciate you sharing an alternative methodology as we all strive to improve our grow skills.

Be well and happy growing.

This was for the new growers I see asking for help.
I completely agree about NOT getting a scale just to weigh pots. The idea is to pick them up when dry and get used to what that feels like. If you already have a scale, I thought it might be a good way to confirm whether the pot is ready for water. I have never done it, but for someone who is new to growing, I think it could be a legitimate option.

This was for the new growers I see asking for help.
I completely agree about NOT getting a scale just to weigh pots. The idea is to pick them up when dry and get used to what that feels like. If you already have a scale, I thought it might be a good way to confirm whether the pot is ready for water. I have never done it, but for someone who is new to growing, I think it could be a legitimate option.

Yeah the problem I had with this approach was that a digital scale with an 11 pound capacity was 20 bucks, which I guess if you had high hopes for yield wouldn't be a bad investment, bur any kind of bathroom scale doesn't really work. The pots aren't heavy enough to register on it, unless it's an old analog one.

If I were to recommend it and want to give it a try again I'd suggest using a fish scale. Just hook the rim of a pot and pull up until it just barely comes up off the ground. That way you do not have to have enough floor space to set the scale down, to get it level or zero it out which all gets cumbersome when trying to weigh several pots, or even need to move the plant around much. Plus they're not expensive.

the weigh thing works for lot of people its common sense , i made the mistake of adding pebbles to my pots one time and that made it a right mission to judge , if our soil is nice and airy then weight is bst way in my eyes after seeing the plant droop

Today my girls got 7+ hours intense direct sunlight with a high in the 80s. I can stick my finger down in the soil three or four inches and there's no detectable moisture but there's still a lot of water in the bottom of the cloth pots. After bringing them in around 6pm I sat the pots on dinner plates, couple hours later picked up the pots and there's a lot of moisture left behind on the plates. I'll wait to water until they start wilting, I just hope I'm home when it happens. That's my main concern, I won't be here to fix it right away.

Instead of gravel or rocks on the bottom of my five gallon pails...I just use chunks of packaging styrofoam...keeps the weight down...also a quality triple mix soil will be noticeably lighter than say... top soil or cheap potting mixes...being a hearty plant...they should withstand a lil trial and error until the newer grower gets an eye for the visual and a feel for weight...or Ya can purchase a moisture meter...lolool...cheerz!...h00k...

Pig only holds a few cups of soil and has two plants in it. After dropping seeds directly into the soil it took 18 days before they got a drop of water. They almost certainly could have gone a full three weeks but I was gone and didn't want to chance it.

Pig1_5-7.jpg

Pig2_5-7.jpg

Both plants below were up-potted from 1 gal to 7 gal pots a little more than 1 month ago. They were watered-in well when transplanted. Not a drop of anything since. They have both been topped multiple times and live outdoors with temps from a low of 34F to a high of 90F.

Zamaldelica and Gorilla Glue #4
ZD1.jpg
GG46.jpg

Great post major, the distinction between stems and leaves drooping is an excellent one. I will keep this post in my wheelhouse to help new growers.

For me I use fabric pots. So I just pat the bottom of the pot and feel it it is dry or not.

Excellent tip! I'm on my first softpot grow right now so I'll keep that in mind for sure. With the 25 gallon and larger pots, lifting isn't an option anyway (for me). :thanks:

...fabric pots for me as well this year...four 10 gallon and seven 7 gallon...my 5 gallon buckets served me well...but always ready to try something new...found some little T type spacer/stands at the dollar store that will keep them about an inch off the floor...first watering after transplant Tuesday showed runoff on most of them...gotta' get accustomed to dry/wet weight...like the feel bottom tip as well...cheerz...h00k...

20160520_025337.JPG

Looks over watered but it was right at the beginning stages of wilting after being dried out in a solo cup for two days. I transplanted it into this gallon pot, I didn't get a pic of the roots but they were all the way down at the bottom, on big solid rootball. You can kind of see the droop in the stems. The bigger give away was the surface of the leaves, they felt very rough like fine grit sandpaper, not crispy but getting there.

I'll post pics in a couple days.

Day 0

I thought this might make for an interesting experiment, or show & tell. I have beans from a hermie that I will never grow. I'm going to germinate and grow them w/o additional water to see how long it is before: 1) I would typically water them, 2) How long until they are really dry and wilted. I'll try to update daily until I cull them. Today is "Day 0". I soaked seeds overnight and completely soaked the medium. I'm going with my usual "18 oz. Solo Cups" and Promix HP high-porosity potting soil.

I dropped the seeds directly into the soil this morning. No domes, covers, paper towels, etc. I am using clear cups so we can get a look at root development along the way. Germination is under four 24" T-5s. Current conditions are 78F and 33% RH - a little warmer and drier than I'd prefer.

All pictures are thumbnails. You can select them for more detail. The last pictures sucks. I'll try to do better going forward. Let the games begin!

Just for jollys, I put the dry cups and wet cups on my scale. Dry they average 96 grams. When wet they averaged 355 grams, so 259 grams of water is what they soaked up = 8-9 oz. When wet they vary by more than one ounce. I usually don't weigh anything so, meh.

Day 1

As expected, nothing to show. This is going to be like watching paint dry for a while. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Day_1100.jpg

I think this should be made into a poster for new growers. It is the best example (worst case) of over-watering I think I've seen on 420. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I really don't over water at all so dont think its that. I water every other day unless the soil is dry.

IMG_51935.JPG

Back
Top Bottom