Spider mite shower treatment help

thewraith

hi all, ive just started growing for the first time and have been coming here for all my information but ive got a question i cant find an answer to.

Im growing indoors and recently ive found very fine spider webbing on my plants and have come to the conclusion i have a spider mite problem. although i havent seen any of them, for treatment im planning to put them into the shower and give them a good washing down, my question is - should i do this while the lights are still on or wait till the lights are just about to go out before i douse them in water.

I dont want the droplets to act as magnifying glasses and cause my poor plants to burn.

they are still in the vege state

Spray your plants just before lights out, so they dont get scorched.

Spray twice a week to kill all the adults and the nits as they hatch. In between treatments, spray them down good with plain water. They LOVE the showers!

Alternate between types of mite spray so the young don't adapt to them. I use 3 different solutions.

Once the buds begin to form, use home-made remedies, as they won't fry your crop.

Most mite sprays are contact poisons that smother the adults, so it is necessary to re-spray every few days to catch the hatchlings. You DON'T want a systemic spray like RAID that will get into the plant and the buds.

Here are some common treatments:

*Neem oil diluted according to directions
*Any vegetable garden pest spray that is safe up to day of harvest. There are many brands, but the best have pyrethium in them.

Homemade remedies:

*2 Teaspoons liquid dish soap + 2 Tablespoons liquid cooking oil to a gallon (approx 4 litres) of water. Used as a spray.
You can substitute strong aromatic oils like rosemary oil, or strong spices, too.

I do believe in one of the locked forums at the top are some other remedies, some commercial, some homemade. Find a couple that you can get ahold of.

thank you for your input. so far ive showered them with cold water then left for the day to dry out then treated them with "yates maverick gun" which contains, according to the msds, tau-fluvalinate, which according to "wikipedia" is - "Fluvalinate is a synthetic pyrethroid" i will look for another one that has pyrethium. there was no way in hell i was going to use fly spray (which my uncle suggested) hopefully this will get them off my plants. but now that i know what the symptons are ill be able to take action earlier. now im having problems with my gosh darn timer. smh

Back
Top Bottom