Can anyone suggest what the discolouration around the tips of leaves is causes by?

Lifeandtimes

Hi everyone,

I started another thread before
3 weeks old - Leaves starting to discolour - Getting worried

But I'm asking another question now,can anyone tell me what might be causing the tips of my plants leaves to go lighter? Two have started to go brown but just the tips as in the pic below
20160429_160213.jpg

Re: Can anyone suggest what the discolouration around the tips of leaves is causes by

That may be the beginnings of magnesium deficiency which is most commonly caused by immobility of the element not a lack there of. the mobility is bad becasue the pH is too high typically.

You can buy cal mag by the bottle to add but usually it isn't an issue of lack of Mag. take it as the canary in the coal mine and fix the underlying problem.

What is your watering method? what is your soil mix?

Re: Can anyone suggest what the discolouration around the tips of leaves is causes by

Hi thanks for your reply

Iv looked online and most things point to a nitrogen deficiency so iv bought some nutrients with a decent amount of nitrogen

I'm using plagron royal mix soil and I water through a watering can once the soil is dry up to about an inch deep.

I dont think it's the ph,the water I use has a ph of 7 and when the I test the water run off after iv watered her its 6.5 but maybe you might have more experience to advise me

That pic is not nitrogen def.

7.0 is too high that is the very top of the acceptable range and that is where magnesium def starts to show up. Try to water closer to 6.3.

At that age the soil, no matter how bad you may have made it, has enough stuff. You don't need to add anything you need to get the moisture level correct and build up the microbes and everything will be fine. But there is no deficiency in the soil. You have a lack of mobility of the nutes due to too frequent too light of watering.

Let it dry out before the next watering then water it heavy enough to get 15% run off. Do not water again until it shows signs of being dry. This will stimulate root grow which develops a better root ball which makes for better flowers.

Not letting it dry out between waterings can cause a whole host of issues. Most people do the lift the pot method (that is lift the pot and if it is light then you can water again) but i been growing long enough I know that you can tell by looking at them. You wait until they show they are thirsty and you grow massive fast root balls and can go into flower quickly.

If you live near a good hydro store I would go in and see if they have a pre brewed earthworm casting tea, which should be like 8 bucks, and it will be all the food you need for a long while and make the soil come alive with good microbes feeding the plant for you.

I make my own but you have a ways to go yet before making our own stuff. It is easy and I can show you but it is also so cheap to make you can buy decent stuff at the stores. Not as good as you can do but decent.

Back
Top Bottom