May have Frigged Up

Soggygrower

Okay, first time Oregon grower here. Indoor, germinated a Cannatonic seed I got out of a recreational cannabis purchase. Long story short, Grow has been fantastic only problem I encountered was fungus gnats which were easily gotten rid of...

Now, I may have gotten into my own head about fan leaves blocking the inner areas of my plant. So I got rid of quite a few of them at about 4 weeks into flowering. Bud growth has all but stopped as new leaves are trying to form around the plant.

So my question is, will bud growth resume? When I trimmed the fan leaves tons of buds formed all over the interior of the plant, but they're tiny. and the two main colas look like they're about a whopping gram sopping wet.

Am about 6 weeks into flowering now. The plant is starting to smell a lot more, quite a few frosty trichs, but buds don't seem to be growing like they were before I trimmed.

Also, using standard 3 household CFL's the warm low kelvin for the flowering period like all the sites say to use if your a poor-man indoor grower... is it just the lack of good lighting causing the small bud growth?

After I trimmed during flowering I learned fan leaves make sugars, and sugars are used to build new growth..

So I think I shit the bed, Just how much?.. I'm hoping you guys can help tell me lol.

Welcome Soggy,
I'm a newbie also, my first grow was AUG 2015, Auto flowers. I did a lot of things wrong and still got decent results. My second grow was a Dinafem "Blue Kush" and a Barney's "Pineapple Chunk". When the Blue Kush was about the same age as yours I did the same thing but worse, I cut her fan leaves back so much I though I killed it after the third day. She slowly came back but not to where she would have been if I left her alone and she hadn't finished stretching, you really have to go out of your way if you want to kill these plants, they are true survivors. Size wise I do see the plants grow differently in different lighting, these are sister's "Pineapple Chunk" that are three weeks apart, the one on the left was grown under the HID system, 400W MH 4wks Veg, 600W HPS 13wks flower, yeah it's a long flower for an indica but it is what it is, her sister on the right is all CFL's; 250W @ 6500K/ 2 supplemental CFL's 150W @ 6500K for Veg. 5wks. Now burning 250W @2700K/ 2 supplemental CFL's 42W @ 2650K for flower. I'm in a 3'X3'X 6'.7" tent for the small clones, I think you'll be OK, its all a positive learning curve, after you blow off the steam:thumb:

PC_Sisters.JPG

Cant go back and not cut the leaf, right? ( if you can go back in time please let me know!)
Dont worry, the worst is behind you now :) all can only get better.
Light is your main concern in next growth, cfls dont have enough power to get good yield.
Good luck :)

I grow under 23W CFLs, but I have to use a dozen or more to get good penetration. I mount 6 above and 6 low along the sides. It is true that your buds will be smaller with CFLs, but heat issues and budget are an issue. The smokers in my family say the smoke is really good, however, even from the larfy buds. So raggedy looks don't always mean low potency. I get a buzz off cannabudder made with just the leaves!

EDIT: as for defoliating: Once in mid flower, only remove those leaves that are yellowing. If you have some shading a bud site, either trim it out, or tuck it out of the way. You DO have to let light into the center of the plant. So find a compromise between light penetration and the health of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom