Help with watering?

snorlax1175

i need to know how much to water my plant it's currently still a seedling but it's getting taller a little and the bladed leaves are getting a little bigger each day I know you're supposed to water it when the first once of soil is dry then wait till it drugs again and repeat this process, and get 20% run off, now my question is do I water it with a certain amount of water? And if so how much should I be giving my seedling?, then veg? Then flower? This is the only thing I'm really co fused on! Please someone help lol!

Watering depends on how large the root system is. The size of the container and medium also plays into the fold. The biggest mistake with new growers is over watering, especially with babies.

A good thing to learn is how heavy the container is. You don't have to weigh it, just pick it up after you water. Remember that weight. Let a couple days go by and pick it up again. If it's a lot lighter, water it. If not, leave it be. This goes the same with solo cups to 3 gallon Hempys to about 10 gallon containers.

Old advice is if you see the soil contact and separate from the container or the top one inch is dry, time to water. It really depends on a lot of factors: root mass, plant/clone age, lighting, temps and humidity, CO2 availability, active ventilation, etc.

Plants will bounce back from under watering. A lot harder for them to do the opposite.

Watering depends on how large the root system is. The size of the container and medium also plays into the fold. The biggest mistake with new growers is over watering, especially with babies.

A good thing to learn is how heavy the container is. You don't have to weigh it, just pick it up after you water. Remember that weight. Let a couple days go by and pick it up again. If it's a lot lighter, water it. If not, leave it be. This goes the same with solo cups to 3 gallon Hempys to about 10 gallon containers.

Old advice is if you see the soil contact and separate from the container or the top one inch is dry, time to water. It really depends on a lot of factors: root mass, plant/clone age, lighting, temps and humidity, CO2 availability, active ventilation, etc.

Plants will bounce back from under watering. A lot harder for them to do the opposite.

i use fox farms and heres a pic of the plants size the container isnt too big its about medium sized
image13736.jpeg
DSCN106512.JPG

To add to Josh's answer, which was spot on- because you have to be very careful not to overwater when they're small I do not ever try to get runoff at that age. It's not necessary at all, and would almost definitely cause overwatering. Runoff is a good thing for older plants with well developed root systems- it helps flush out excess nutrients from the pot. You don't need any such flushing now.
For the first few weeks I try to maintain just a 'slightly moist' state. That's quite easy because they use almost no water and what drying does occur is mostly evaporation. Most seedlings don't need to be watered much in the first two or three weeks- perhaps just some surface touch ups.

Sure you can mist it if you want. I don't know that it will make much difference to growth. Just don't let the soil get soaked and the plant will be happy. Roots really are happiest when the soil is barely moist- kind of like cake or bread is moist yet fluffy. Weigh in your hand a same size container of moist soil. That's how much the one with your seedling in it should weigh. Just keep it like that and it will thrive. There's no set amount of water I can give you. You might not have to give it any for another week. It depends on your conditions.

Yes it 'should', and is very unlikely to be underwatered if you can feel moisture an inch down. But depending on the soil quality, a plant could definitely be dry on the surface and still be overwatered. Feeling the weight of the pot is easier, works better, and I use it for everything from solo cups up to 10 and 15 gallon pots.

okay so if i get a pot equal in size to the one i have the seed planted in and mix some soil an water together until its moist fill the pot then guage the weight off that? sorry im asking so much. im just curious lol

Yeah exactly. It takes a little time and mixing to achieve an even moisture- and it should be moist just to the point where when you squeeze a handful of it, it still falls apart when you let go- doesn't compress and stay in clumps. Almost dry.
Gotta run it's late where I am. Good luck. :thumb:

Keep it simple. When they're seedlings they need little water, in fact less is better because it will encourage root growth to search out water. The plant will tell you what it needs, don't get scientific bro. Keep an eye on the leaves and the plants overall stature. You'll get better over time.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using 420

Back
Top Bottom