What have I gotten myself into?

Rav3n

First, let's get this out of the way... I'm an idiot. At least as far as this topic is concerned.

So, I came into possession of a few seeds. I was starting some other potted plants and thought "What the hell?", and I planted 6 seeds(planted the end of May). I left them outside on my balcony with my other potted plants. When they actually sprouted I was surprised and excited.

Now, about 30 days later I have these rapidly growing beauties that are quite literally taking over my small balcony.
I am now wondering "What now??"
Will buds grow before they get so big as to draw attention?
Can I control their height without killing them?
Just how much trouble can I get in if a neighbor spots them and calls the cops?
Should I dispose of my mini amazon forest under the cover of darkness?

They look so beautiful! What should I do?:dreamy: :confused:

image13909.jpeg
image13908.jpeg

I have two large pots to which I had transfered 3 seedlings each. The pots are these odd felt like foldable things that are approximately 5 gallons each if I remember correctly.
Anyway, these babies are around 3 feet tall and at their current rate they will soon be peeking out over my balcony railings.

This was a completely spontaneous decision. Now I'm not sure what to do next. :scratchinghead:

Since they are outdoors, I would estimate they will begin to flower in about 5 more weeks. Between now and then, they could double in size. As posted above, a lot depends on the strain(s) being grown. Most cannabis, at the bloom phase, will hit the "stretch" and double in height (1.5x to 3x). Since you have 3 plants in a single 5 gallon softpot, that might slow them down a little, since plants only grow as large as their root mass will allow. With all that said, I would expect them to AT LEAST double in size, but it will likely be much more.

Easiest solution: Top them immediately - before they bloom. That will give you as good, or better yields and keep the heights down. You could even top them a second time before they bloom and/or top them down as low as you need to feel comfortable with their size. Just a thought.

:goodluck:

Do you know what strain they are? this will determine size, duration, timing of flower stage, and smell.

I'm sorry, I have no idea. A friend of mine helped out a buddy do a very rushed cultivation and in trade he gave him a bunch to cure on his own. He in turn gave me some. I collected the seeds from those. The only thing I know for sure is that in the end it smelled like hay (my fault no doubt), but in spite of that the end result left me feeling very good :bong::yahoo:

I wonder the answer for cops... Will this be a huge problem?

I live in Cali in a beach community and as I walk my dogs in the evening I can smell that sweet fragrance all around so I know most people wouldn't be a problem. But it only takes one douche nozzle to complicate your life. I'm fairly sure that the general feeling about weed with the local cops is that as long as you're not causing trouble, you're not a minor and you're not dealing, then they just let you be. However I really don't know how'd they feel about growing a few plants, so I would like to be as discreet as possible. Just to be safe.

Easiest solution: Top them immediately - before they bloom. That will give you as good, or better yields and keep the heights down. You could even top them a second time before they bloom and/or top them down as low as you need to feel comfortable with their size. Just a thought.

:goodluck:

Could you explain how I do that or point me somewhere with instructions that someone as inexperienced as myself could follow and not kill the lot?
It's been fun watching them grow so beautifully and so freaking fast, but it would be even more fun if I could keep them going long enough to truly enjoy them. :yummy: :yahoo:

Could you explain how I do that or point me somewhere with instructions that someone as inexperienced as myself could follow and not kill the lot?
It's been fun watching them grow so beautifully and so freaking fast, but it would be even more fun if I could keep them going long enough to truly enjoy them. :yummy: :yahoo:

It is super simple. Just take scissors or sharp wire cutters and snip immediately above any node (where branching/leaves occur on the main stem(s) at the height you want to keep. I would not cut them lower than about node number five (counting up from the soil).

I don't know of any photos or tutorials offhand, but it is really easy. You can do it!! :thumb:

So I just clipped one is case I misunderstood and did it wrong, then I will only have maimed one plant.

Let me know how I did please. If I did it right, I'll do the rest the same. :bitingnails:

The 3rd pic is the lil guy I found hiding below lol.

image13955.jpeg

image13956.jpeg

image13957.jpeg

So I just clipped one is case I misunderstood and did it wrong, then I will only have maimed one plant.

You did it 99% correctly. Ideally, the cut would be at roughly 45° which makes water run off the side rather than sit on top of the stalk and potentially cause issues. There's enough left there that you can still make it to 45°.

As they continue to grow, the smell will increase enough that people will notice.

You are probably nose blind to some extent - others will notice the smell more than you.

I have no ideas on how to control that smell on a balcony grow.

In Ontario Canada, possession of over 30 gms will get you possession with intent to traffic. Not sure how they calculate this with actual plants.

In Ontario Canada, possession of over 30 gms will get you possession with intent to traffic. Not sure how they calculate this with actual plants.

Well... cops are not (usually) growers. They don't care about what part of the plant is actually good... they just pull the plant from the ground and count it all... root mass, remaining dirt, whatever. For them, the higher the number, the more significant the bust.

IMO your topping was just fine. I often just take my thumbnail and give the top a good pinch as low to the node as possible. I've never had any issues from doing it this way unless I get too low and damage the newest growth. Even that is no big deal, but it does slow the growth a little.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom