Humidity question

Smoke204

Currently I'm in the start of the third week of flower and the pistils are coming through nicely. This evening I was doing laundry and decided to spontaneously check the temperature & humidity levels. During the day the temperature is a consistent 24c and humidity 69%.

The temperature went down to 19c which doesn't concern me but the humidity was up to 90%. Recently I replaced the old temp/hydrometer because I knocked it down and broke it when installing the new bulb, it was a digital gauge. I bought a new one but this one is an analog gauge but works just fine from what I can tell. So the question being, does humidity get higher during lights out?

For what it's worth below is my setup...

Currently growing White Widow
4x4x6.5 grow tent
5 gallon pots x 2
Sunshine Mix #4
6" canfan, 270cfm & can filter
1000 watt HPS Hortilux
Air cooled reflector
2 mini fans for air circulation

Lights will drive up RH with heat, but your right, lights off should cool tent down and RH should drop. Unless a storm is moving into your area. Not much to be done about that.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

RH is a percentage of how much water the air is holding. If the RH is 50%, it just means the air is holding half the water it possibly can. It swings with temperature only because warm air can hold more water than cold air. The actual mass/amount of water is unchanged with the temperature swing. I suspect your fan/filter are on the same switch/timer as your lights. Let them run 24/7 and you should see your lights off RH be the same as your ambient room air. Good luck!

Have a look at your local internet weather site for your area hopefully it should display average RH during the day & night, ya see a difference between day & night same works for tent grows.

Many of us live all over the world so RH will change a lot from one place to another as will some answers will varie depending on own conditions.

Have a look at your temp/hydrometer just as lights come on & ya get a idea on lights off RH :thumb:

Ideally RH for flowering is about 50% some like it a little lower, but really need RH below 70% during lights off prolonged spells of 80% + may cause bud rot !

If RH is a problem you may need a dehumidifier.

The humidity that day was 86%, hopefully the levels outside the house will come down some in the coming weeks. Also I do plan on picking up these things called, "Moisture Grabber", and experiment with them to see if they can help somewhat. They only cost $10 for a pack of three. According to the product description it states that it is ideal for closets and small spaces. Will it work? Hard to say. But I definitely don't want to lose any potential buds to bud rot. Usually I grow in the fall & winter months when it's dry out.

In general indoor humidity is lower than out doors by x % you should be able test that !

I've heard of people using buckets of salt to soak up humidity as a DIY option... gonna need further research on that.

Some Temp/Humity gauges will have Min/High readings that work great for comparing Day AND night readings

I have a master and 4 slave temp/humidity monitors. The master displays itself and all 4 remote sensors. One in the tent, one in the same room, and the rest wherever. I found multiple sensors really helped understand what was happening in my tent. You start to understand heat management much better when you can measure all the variables. Amzon remote thermometer and go find a similar product from one of our great sponsors. Nobody should have to open a locked room just to check temp and RH. Dirt cheap and it will make a huge difference in understanding your environment.

Back
Top Bottom