Need help installing HPS lights!

Sharksbreath

Ok so I have a 8ft by 4ft grow tent that is a little over 6.5ft tall. I have 400w hps/mh systems that need installed. I have an A/C vent that runs right above my grow tent that can be ducted inside the tent or right into one of the hoods. I have a 500cfm inline fan with a carbon filter that also needs to be installed. My question is, what would be the best way to set all this up? Should I duct the A/C into the left side of the 1st hood, connect the right side of the 1st hood into the left side of the 2nd hood, then install the inline fan and carbon filter on the right side of the 2nd hood? Then vent that outside of the tent? Need help asap, I want to switch my lights to 12/12 on the 1st of August. So I only have the weekend to figure this out. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

left to right, right to left, I wont get into that, that is your specific layout to fit it all in.

at one end of the tent, hang your filter.
run duct from the filter to the closest light.
run duct from closest light to farthest light.
run duct to either a: through tent port to fan outside of tent, or b: to fan in tent.
if you chose b: run duct from fan through tent port to exhaust outside of tent or wherever you have that planned for already.

this setup will remove heat and odor from your tent, while maintaining a negative pressure, assuming your fan is appropriately sized for your setup.

I vent into same room, where I have ac running to cool the room, which feeds the tent nice cool, recycled air.

hope this helps ya.
have fun eh

left to right, right to left, I wont get into that, that is your specific layout to fit it all in.

at one end of the tent, hang your filter.
run duct from the filter to the closest light.
run duct from closest light to farthest light.
run duct to either a: through tent port to fan outside of tent, or b: to fan in tent.
if you chose b: run duct from fan through tent port to exhaust outside of tent or wherever you have that planned for already.

this setup will remove heat and odor from your tent, while maintaining a negative pressure, assuming your fan is appropriately sized for your setup.

I vent into same room, where I have ac running to cool the room, which feeds the tent nice cool, recycled air.

hope this helps ya.
have fun eh

Thanks, this does help. That's what I was already thinking of doing. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking straight lol

Sent from my iPhone using 420

I would blow air through hoods rather than suck it. With 32sqf of ceiling, room shouldn't be an issue.

Filter-duct-fan- duct- hood-duct-hood-duct to outside

Depending on your hood, pulling a vacuum across it may find small leaks and smell your exhaust. Positive pressure will exhaust any small leaks back into the tent to be filtered again. Just my $0.02

I would blow air through hoods rather than suck it. With 32sqf of ceiling, room shouldn't be an issue.

Depending on your hood, pulling a vacuum across it may find small leaks and smell your exhaust. Positive pressure will exhaust any small leaks back into the tent to be filtered again. Just my $0.02

Much appreciated input my friend.

I can certainly appreciate the idea. one factor for me would be as an extra noise reduction, having the fan in the tent.

but it's my understanding that these fans work more efficiently pulling rather than pushing. could have been mis-information to me, but the theory is sound.

as for leaks in the hood, I would guess that depends on the brand. but in this day and age, hoods, just like everything else has been teched up the wazoo. I should think that a "leaky" hood would be cause for a simple return/replacement at the grow shop. I know I would, if I were relying on a sealed hood. which I have in the past with no issue at all.

now that considered, all air will follow the path of least resistance, which would be through the filter.

have fun eh

You're right, air will flow through the path of least resistance. There is a significant pressure drop across your filter. You always want to pull air to take advantage of the pull/push fan efficiency (you are correct they pull better). If you place your fan on the exit side of your lights, it has the exact pressure drop across the lights as it does the filter because it's a closed system. The hoods should seal. They can be engineered to seal 100%. People want cheap, so manufacturers produce cheap to be competitive. It's like anything you buy today... 25% are perfect, 50% are ok, and 25% are junk (of the same exact item).

Just saying, why create a pressure delta across 16 ft of hood seal for no reason? Sure would hate to rig it down and back up again when a simple placement shift can save lots of frustration.

You're right, air will flow through the path of least resistance. There is a significant pressure drop across your filter. You always want to pull air to take advantage of the pull/push fan efficiency (you are correct they pull better). If you place your fan on the exit side of your lights, it has the exact pressure drop across the lights as it does the filter because it's a closed system. The hoods should seal. They can be engineered to seal 100%. People want cheap, so manufacturers produce cheap to be competitive. It's like anything you buy today... 25% are perfect, 50% are ok, and 25% are junk (of the same exact item).

Just saying, why create a pressure delta across 16 ft of hood seal for no reason? Sure would hate to rig it down and back up again when a simple placement shift can save lots of frustration.

Not going to lie folks. Bit confused now on how this should be installed lol. Can someone explain in dummy terms both methods of installation and why you'd choose one method over the other? Noise isn't much of a concern for me, smell and heat are my only two concerns when setting this up. Thanks!

It will work whatever way you hook it up. Just put the filter inside the tent and pull air through it. You can push or pull the air through your hoods (place the fan after the filter and before OR after your hoods). Your call. I just explained why I would push it through the hoods instead of pull. Good luck. I would hook it up filter-fan-hood-hood-outside the tent (ducting where needed).

I explained why in my previous two posts.

It will work whatever way you hook it up. Just put the filter inside the tent and pull air through it. You can push or pull the air through your hoods (place the fan after the filter and before OR after your hoods). Your call. I just explained why I would push it through the hoods instead of pull. Good luck. I would hook it up filter-fan-hood-hood-outside the tent (ducting where needed).

I explained why in my previous two posts.

Thanks bro, appreciate the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom