Seeds in unpollinated female plants?

StoneAge56

I have had several grows and have never experienced anything like this. Germinated 6 seeds. 3 white widow fem and 3 from some medical bags I had purchased. All 6 germinated and were very strong throughout veg stage. All had female flowers when I switched to 12/12. After 3 1/2 weeks of flowering I noticed seed pods with actual seed on one plant. Since then, that plant turned to complete seed. After inspecting, all plants have seed. How can this happen with NO MALE to pollinate. I have read where stress can cause a seed or two to appear but this was a complete takeover. Lights, watering/fert regime the same as other grows. Nothing different than before. How did these ALL turn up with seeds?? Thanks in advance for any help on this as this has been extremely frustrating after 3 1/2 months worth of investment. Peace

Where did you get the feminized seed from? The seed from the bag was probably self-pollenated. A lot of feminized seed is produced by self-pollenated plants, and some hermies are unscrupulously sold as feminized seeds.

Did you see any male flowers on the plant like they would usually form? A lot of times they will form right on a calyx of a bud and go unnoticed instead of on the internodes as usual.

Lots of stuff can cause a plant to go herm stress wise but genetic disposition always plays a big role in it. I have heard White Widow is an easy strain to make go herm too.

Do you have any light leaks by chance? Check your timer to make sure the lights are staying on schedule? If you're for sure you've troubleshooted out all stressers, then I would suspect a genetic disposition and I wouldn't use any of the seed they produce.

You can't have a single seed without pollen. Plants can produce a single small nanner and self-pollinate. I think fem' seeds are more likely to do it, but don't have the data to back it up. Be vigilant looking for nanners. It's about all you can do other than change your genetics and hope.

I have heard that where I live, there is so much pollen in the air that it's impossible to grow outdoors without the plants getting pollinated from hemp that was planted almost a century ago. As I recall, there are quite a few places like this. Perhaps a good filter on the intake is needed?

I have heard that where I live, there is so much pollen in the air that it's impossible to grow outdoors without the plants getting pollinated from hemp that was planted almost a century ago. As I recall, there are quite a few places like this. Perhaps a good filter on the intake is needed?

I hadn't even thought about stray pollen.
Rogue pollen is a huge potential problem here in Oregon. Since it is legal to grow, everybody has plants in their yard. All it takes is one guy (like my next door neighbor) growing a male and/or hermie, and everyone in the area could be screwed.

First, thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate the in-depth responses. I do have questions that I have emailed to the seed company. I did grow 4 WWF seeds from the same batch and had no problems. When plants began sexing, it was all white pistils. (I've seen many times) No sign at all of any male growth anywhere. And as I spend quite a bit of time tending to them, I never saw any sign of anything close to pollen sacs anywhere on the plants. Is it possible if one plant produced a hidden pollen sac that other plants could be affected? Oh well, have new group started and hoping for better luck. Again, thanks for all the feedback

Sounds like a hermie to me. Takes 1 plant to herm and whole plant is ruined. Poor quality fem seeds are prime for herm and they can pollinate a room quickly. No 1 cause of herm is light interference, never mess with the light cycle especially in flower. Heat also causes plants to herm, as does any stress. Some plants are more hardy than others. Look for little pollen sacks on the plants when flowering and also look for nanners, banana shaped protrusions from the bud.

Now your plants have been pollinated its likely there is residual pollen in the grow room. be viligilant and scrub that room down with very mild bleach solution, water would be enough but adding a few drops of bleach will kill and other nasties. If you dont wipe room down you are asking for trouble.

Always use reputable seed companies or quality clones. Bag seeds are risky as you never kniow what you will get, its hard enough getting good phenos from strong seed. Try find a good place to get clones, although 25% on average weaker than seed you will know what you are getting everytime and have a uniform room.

Good Luck.

Ps most growers who have multiple grows behind them have been caught out by herms at one point or another. Ive been growing non stop for years and i still get caught out now and again.

I believe you have nailed it. Your explanation is pretty much what happened. I can say that light cycle was never a problem as I have timers. Temperature ran in the mid seventies on average. I'm moving so the new room will be sterile. Again, thanks for all the pertinent information. I guess I'll chalk it up to experience and start new ones.

Back
Top Bottom