Will my local chemists sell litmus pH paper?

Err... Do you mean chemist as in chemical supply house (often has "Scientific" at the end of the name) or as in the corner pharmacist? If the former, almost certainly. If the latter... do they sell swimming pool supplies, lol?

You ought to be able to find such things at a place that sells swimming pools and maintenance items. Or you could just order a digital pH meter for $20-$60+ (15 to 45+ GBP). I never liked those papers / test strips because, among other things, I have color-perception issues. For me it is easier to read "5.8" (or "5.82" if I have spent $60 on a nice Milwaukee Instruments pH56 :) ) than to attempt to compare colors and guestimate. And, if the digital meter is at least halfway decent, it'll have ATC (automatic temperature compensation) so I will not have to allow for variations in temperature of my sample throughout the day/grow/year.

Cheers for the replys guys very helpful. Phoned various chemists / pharmacists no such luck. Pet shop was asking 20quid for 25 test strips which i refused to pay so just got a 5m roll on amazon next day. Was so i could start using my new root formula which is great white plant success and rhizo saw others have great results. Not really wanting to buy an electric ph tester till i can afford a good one and also justify buying it ie till im better at this no point having all the gear n no idea ! Cheers again guys much appreciated

Cheers for the replys guys very helpful. Phoned various chemists / pharmacists no such luck. Pet shop was asking 20quid for 25 test strips which i refused to pay

Yikes! I don't blame you - I just did a quick search on Amazon UK (because I have no idea which hydroponics / indoor gardening / homebrewing / health food / et cetera stores are popular there, nor which brands of decent inexpensive pH pens are sold) and saw quite a few basic economy digital pH pens for around - and less than - £10.

I wouldn't even consider paying more than $10 for a package of test strips, even if I used them, lol. Err... Right now that'd be... £7.56 ;) .

But I suppose that the benefits of being able to test/adjust the pH of one's nutrient solution that they are feeding their plants, and of being able to then test the pH of the runoff... are worth quite a bit. I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for.

Yikes! I don't blame you - I just did a quick search on Amazon UK (because I have no idea which hydroponics / indoor gardening / homebrewing / health food / et cetera stores are popular there, nor which brands of decent inexpensive pH pens are sold) and saw quite a few basic economy digital pH pens for around - and less than - £10.

I wouldn't even consider paying more than $10 for a package of test strips, even if I used them, lol. Err... Right now that'd be... £7.56 ;) .

But I suppose that the benefits of being able to test/adjust the pH of one's nutrient solution that they are feeding their plants, and of being able to then test the pH of the runoff... are worth quite a bit. I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for.

I would not trust a £10 ph meter i have saw loads of reviews saying they are miles off i saw a few at £30 odd i think when the time comes ill buy one of those. Cheers again for your help bud :)

Back
Top Bottom