Slime on buds? This is crazy

Justones

This morning I found some slime on a developing bud. I didn't know what it was. I used some water to wash & wipe it away. Looked like someone hocked up some flem & spit in it oddly enough.

This evening I noticed that same slime on a marigold nearby. Alot of it. I got to poking around & found a bunch of wadded up leaves. I pulled some weird grub worm thing out of it.

Then looked back at my plant & seen that same spot of slime reappeared. So I had to cut off that part of the bud. Then took the cut off bad part & inspected it further. I found a small creature deep in the slime between the branches.

What the hell was that thing? Whats a precaution to not have that spread?

Google says this might be something called a spittlebug.

DSC_031127.jpg

Yuk!! Sounds gross, possible alien lifeform? I've never seen anything like that, are you in the US?

I've had good luck with Captain Jack for most Nasties outside. But those things look like they need the more pluck and squish approach

Yes, in the USA here. I thought it was from a slug at first. But after picking it apart & seeing that bug inside. Then reading some info online. I was surprised. I could see that goop causing mold in buds maybe.

I don't know the name of the insect, but there is a type/types that lay their eggs in exactly that same junk. Memory isn't serving me at the moment. Sorry Bud. I don't recall, but would guess they aren't beneficial. I'd keep washing them off. Your plants appear to be Sativa dominant---not super dense bud structure. Gentle washing shouldn't hurt anything until you start seeing trichome formation.

:goodluck:

Thanks Josh223. They do seem to be sativa. Best I could figure. This was my first time grow. Just bag seed used. I have two females that are about 30 days into flowering.
So far it was just one spot in them that I cut off. I read that the garlic & pepper spray is a good method to kill them off. I mixed some up tonight & will spray tomorrow morning.
I do appreciate any info & suggestions from people. Being a rookie here.

It's a spitbug. At least that's what I've always called them. They make that spit to keep predators away. Not sure what they do with themselves in there or what they eat, but I don't notice them damaging anything. They're very plentiful in my yard. I really don't think they will cause you any trouble at all.

EDIT- I went and did a little research and it seems they do suck plant sap- but they aren't considered a problem unless you have huge numbers of them. A mold spray will kill them- soap, water, garlic, that type of spray.

I mixed up some garlic & pepper spray last night. This morning I sprayed it on the plants. I did see one adult on them this morning. I've seen them (adults) before but didn't know what they are. Now I know more than I did yesterday.

Ah those things. In the early spring time this area it littered with them. I'll put you out of your misery; they are called froghopper nymphs and the spit they produce is called cuckoo spit. They cause no harm to the plant at all and can be left alone. But they do look rather unsightly. Here is a recipe to remove them:-

Organic spittlebug killer recipe:-

1/2 cup hot peppers, diced.
6 cloves garlic peeled.
2 cups water.
2 teaspoons liquid soap (without bleach).

Method: Puree peppers, garlic and water together. Let sit for 24 hours. Strain and mix in the liquid soap. Wipe the plant foam off the plant and spray all parts of the plant.

Eh voilá

Yep - spittlebug (actually a froghopper). Unless you have a bunch of them, I would just pick it/them off. They are not a huge problem and I'd rather deal with them individually than spray crap on my plant.

Well they (the spit) are all over my marigolds majorly. I seen one spit spot on my cannibis yesterday & had to trim a small bud off. Because I cleaned it in the morning & it was back that afternoon. I'm more worried the spit would lead to bud rot/mold being it's in flowering stage. So for extra measure I just mixed up some garlic/pepper for a spray. I'm just gonna keep an eye on it all. Now that I know what to look for & what to do.

As Weasel & Major said !

Here's a wiki on em - Froghopper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not seen this problem on MJ to much over the years but it seems they do little to no long term damage over all but can be treated in some way if worried about em.

Another link by the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) it is an English hardcore gardening group on, well lets just say growing plants unfortunalty they don't cover MJ yet... Cuckoo spit/RHS Gardening

We call them treehoppers here (for some reason). Weird how I never knew they were adult spit bugs till now. My friends outdoor plants got absolutely infested with them one summer and they did cause damage. But outside of that one situation I've never known them to cause problems.

Oh yeah- when I said ' mold spray' back there I meant mild spray. Autocorrect :(

Oddly enough I've had the dubious honor of guiding a group of those RHS guys once in my boat- they came over to North America on a hunt for some possible rare mutation of a fern in my area. One of them had found a (possible/vague) description of something interesting (but only to them lol!!!) - a description and sketch of this minor fern mutation in a historical document from one of the early Pacific coastal explorers here. They figured they needed this for the Queen's collection in the royal botanical gardens.
We never did find the fern. The whole experience was pretty hilarious. They were a bit of a pain in the ass though
- because they were completely useless in the 'wilderness'
- and because they were so goddamn snobby.

But I'm getting off topic, as usual....

Ye don't really need pesticides to deal with these...

A good squirty bottle set on a jet or hose pipe etc with a good strong gush/jet of water to remove the spit with insects in should be ok, if ya really want to add some organic or home made pest control in the squirty bottle.

Larger infestations may cause more damage tho.

Back
Top Bottom