80 inch tent is to low - Unusual height issue

Guruth

420 Member
hello there fellow growers!

read the whole post... alot of info here.

i have a strange height issue... well it is not a height issue yet but it will become one quite soon!

let me elaborate...

Atm i am vegging 9 plants that are scheduled to go in a 1m x 1m tent in 4.5 weeks. i planned to mainline the plants to 4 colas each, vegg them up a week or 2 and then flower them.

The problem is i recently optimised my growing space and they are growing WAAAAAY FASTER than usual... TO FAST even. i planned to top them every 11-12 days (since it worked out like that in the past) but the lil buggers are ready for second top at day 4 from first topping... yea i overoptimised my growing space and it works to well.

now if i top them today i will end up with 4.5 weeks of vegging time and since they grow consistently at 1 node per 2 days (last 18 days) i can reasonably expect (4.5x7)/2 nodes ... that works out at 15-16 nodes. i can add up 5-6 nodes of extra growth while in flower (the strain behaves like that) and i end up with 20-22 nodes. with average node spacing of 3 inches.... well i dont have 60-70 inches of space..... i dont even have 50... well MAYBE 50...

HALP!

now i have 2 options...

option A: i can let the plants veg longer before i top them and just loose plant mass and waste veg time (noooo)

option B: i can top them twice more for 8 colas per plant and get about 30-35 inch high plants... but that works out at 72 main colas in 1 square meter.

i have done 64 colas in 0.64 square meter before, but they were 8-10 inches high and very skinny... ended up with about 2.5 grams per cola yield average.

the question i have... if i mass up 72 colas in a square meter... will they suffocate and strangle each other or can i expect a decent result if i watch them and defoliate to give them propper air circulation? there is plenty of light penetration so that is not an issue.

p.s.
i have a 12/12 grow from seed in the big tent now and plants are 32-40 inches high... in full bloom and everything... same strain so it should behave simmilarly

Can you scrog them? I've hacked down many a jungle and/or crammed a screen on top. I thin them out to a bud every 3-4" or so and they don't skip a beat (ok maybe one beat). It's easy and I haven't met a plant I couldn't tame yet. I grow pure sativas which normally get very tall- and haven't had an issue. A simple piece of wire fencing plopped on top and hung loosely can do the trick.

mainlining is a form of scrog... and yea thats the plan... but the problem is i dont have enough surface area... i can tame them but i am afraid they will be to cramped up. the bud spacing will be about 1 bud ever 5 inches so if you ahd them every 3-4 i should have more spacing than you

Oops missed the mainlining part. Yeah it would be a bit weird mainlining/fluxing and scrogging as well. I was thinking after I posted that my spacing is usually probably more like 5-6". Whatever. I just remove any budsites that don't fit in with my plans.

Back
Top Bottom