Fabric pot advantages & disadvantages?

TheFertilizer

Okay so I need to buy at least 5 more 3 gallon containers, and I went and priced them locally and it's like highway robbery. Meanwhile, I found a good deal on the river, but then notice that it says it usually ships within 1-2 months!

The containers in town are $3 a piece, so I'd only be looking at $15 BUT here's the thing, there's some fabric pots available on the river for $12.95..

So I am kind of wanting to try out the fabric pots. I'll have five others in normal plastic pots. Anyone have any advice against fabric pots, are they going to really make any difference at all or should I just get the ones in town?

re: Fabric pot advantages & disadvantages?

I would choose fabric pots over plastic pots any day. I have been using them for only a year but I've been growing around 15years. The difference is very noticeable. Healthier bushier plants due to the extra o2 in the rootzone as the fabric pots breathe. Also roots don't circle like they do in plastic pots. Def worth the investment.

Get super root air pots and get best of both worlds... solid support and strong pots for manipulation in the garden and pruning effect for healthier plants and massive root mass of fabric pots.... i swear by them. and they also flat pack for storage...

and the best part... they are really cheap :D well cheaper than 15$ for sure :D i think i payed about 7$ for 3 gallon equivalents?

You should have no problem getting 5 gallon fabric pots for about 5 or 6 bucks or less, 12 bucks is very crazy high.

As for if they are better, then yes they are simply better. I have had thousands of plants some in plastic pots, some in fabric and for larger pots fabric is far superior.

However for smaller plants that you will be transplanting Id stick to plastic.

The fabric pots come in a pack of 5 for $12.95, not just each. So it seems like it's a no brainer to go with the fabric ones over more plastic ones for the same price.

There's just something about the idea of growing in half plastic pots and half fabric that bugs me.

I wouldnt recommend doing half plastic half fabric as you will need to water them and feed them differently

I wouldnt recommend doing half plastic half fabric as you will need to water them and feed them differently

That's pretty much what my concern was with. I am growing two different strains from seed though, so there's usually a bit of variation in watering needs but I'm wondering how dramatic the difference would be.

It could be minimal difference or it could get to be literally 3 times as much food and water in the fabric pots. Depends on some other factors like the strain, plant size, and at what stage of growth the plants are in.

I would choose fabric pots over plastic pots any day. I have been using them for only a year but I've been growing around 15years. The difference is very noticeable. Healthier bushier plants due to the extra o2 in the rootzone as the fabric pots breathe. Also roots don't circle like they do in plastic pots. Def worth the investment.

Any advice on up-potting in fabric pots? I started in a plastic quart container and wondering if I can go straight to a 5-gallon fabric? Also, what is the largest size fabric anyone should consider (let's assume I am going for a full summer outdoor grow). Thanks!

I sorta get that that the size limits the plant size, but what is a reasonable max size? 10 gallon? 15 gallon? If I was to go to a 10 gallon, how long should it be in the 5 gallon? I'm a newbie and currently have one White Widow Photo and one Northern Light Auto both started March 1. I was a little early (it was in the 30/40's and now currently 5F outside) so I'm not sure what the Auto will do...it's a learning curve. However, the WW should be fine until I can put them in the greenhouse (both are inside on the sill now). Also, how much growing media/soil do I put in the fabric bag to allow root growth? 50/60/70%? Thanks!

ok, thanks. How long do you usually let the seedling go in their starter pot before you move it? Mine are in 3-quart plastic cups and I planned on moving the auto when fabric bags arrive and letting the photo go for another week to build up root ball. I plan on finally putting the WW photo in a 25 and the auto in a 5-gallon. My thought is I started too early for the auto since I am only supplementing it with CFL on the windowsill and it won't get too big. Learning curve. I have others which I am starting late April. The summer grow will be in our greenhouse. Thanks for your feedback.
IMG_56067.jpg

Back
Top Bottom