Transplant help!

Slicknick909

I am a total newbie to indoor growing, lived in an area that allowed for outdoor growing for many years and now live in close proximity to neighbors. I do fear over watering but I do also only water when my pots feel as light as when they weren't being watered. That being said when I leave on business the wife has to water, this is where my cautious optimism occurs. All 6 of my girls are just over a month and about 4" tall now and are in 5 gallon basic plastic nursery pots. I have purchased 6 "air pots" the rigid plastic type not the fabric ones. I basically want to transplant as soon as they arrive BUT I am clueless as to what type of soil mixture to use for them. They are currently in basic organic soil that I "cooked" to 150F in my oven before planting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. as for lighting they currently have 23w CFL 6500k lights about 6" from the top and will be transitioning to a Mars hydro reflector 600w equivalent in my 4x4x6' grow "box"

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

:welcome: to :420: Slick!

5 gal for a seedling is a lot of real estate. I'd probably just leave 'em where they are at this point. It is hard to know how far the roots have traveled and it will be tough to move the entire thing. I'd save the new pots for the next round.

Why did you cook organic soil?
If you are only under CFLs right now, I'd get them as close to the plants as possible, like 1-2" away.

It's soil that was left outside open for the past couple years against my shed so who knows what got into it, I'd rather be safe and add nutes than have to kill off bugs. It got mixed with pearlite, peat, guano and worm castings anyway. They aren't technically planted in the 5gallons currently, they are in 1qt jiffy pots on top of the soil with maybe 1" of roots coming out of the bottom of the jiffys now. I haven't even pulled the trigger on the air pots yet but hear great things about them. Also at 4 weeks are they too young to give a little molasses for a boost of sugars? Or should I wait until flowering to add the sugars?

That makes a BIG difference.
Sure - move 'em to whatever pots you like. As for the grow medium, there is a ton to choose from. When I bottle feed, I use Promix HP. It works great. I never give molasses, but if you do, I'd wait until bloom and/or you see a specific need for Mg. 4 weeks is a bit early for feeding, IMO, but it sound like you are at the point where you could start off with very light nute's now or within the next week, or so.

If I use a mix of peat, pearlite, vermiculite and sand do I even need a "soil" in the mix? I'll pick up some pro mix today on my way home. Thanks for the help!!

If I use a mix of peat, pearlite, vermiculite and sand do I even need a "soil" in the mix? I'll pick up some pro mix today on my way home. Thanks for the help!!

No you don't need "soil" with something like that. You are making a soil-less grow medium (and adding sand to it). The only likely problem with the mix you describe is, it will be acid. Potting mixes compatible with our crop typically have their PH adjusted and buffered with lime.

I do have a bag of lime laying around and intended to check the pH and adjust accordingly. Is there any definitive ratio for everything or a bag of this and a bag of that kind of thing?

I do have a bag of lime laying around and intended to check the pH and adjust accordingly. Is there any definitive ratio for everything or a bag of this and a bag of that kind of thing?

I don't believe so.
My understanding is, peat varies quite a bit in how acid it is to begin with. It also has different structure and makeup so how effectively the lime works, and how long the lime lasts, vary.

420-magazine-mobile258346746.jpg

Got as close to 6.4 as I could, trial and error isn't an exact science. Hope this is a good spot for them. Also they are feminised White Widow from 420

Hopefully you've had good luck with that meter and have been able to calibrate it.
My experiences with meters like that have been no bueno. :thedoubletake:

It's generally accurate, the Mrs uses it for her orchids lol

:thumb:

If you get Promix, try to get Promix HP with Myco. The "HP" = high porosity with additional perlite in it. It does NOT need lime added. It is already PH buffered.

:goodluck:

I talked to the guys at the local hydro shop and they can't it it for 4-6weeks. I'll be clipping clones by then off my bigger girls so looks like I'll be going online. If I can't find the HP for a reasonable price will adding perlite I have change the pH? From what I understand it's basically a form of glass so it shouldn't have any effect?

I talked to the guys at the local hydro shop and they can't it it for 4-6weeks. I'll be clipping clones by then off my bigger girls so looks like I'll be going online. If I can't find the HP for a reasonable price will adding perlite I have change the pH? From what I understand it's basically a form of glass so it shouldn't have any effect?

Adding perlite won't change it. I forget the exact amount, but I think the HP version has about 10-15% more perlite than the BX version.

2 days post transplant and they are looking better than ever, I believe that even though a fair amount of the roots were able to grow out of the jiffys they were still a little root bound. I went a little heavy with the perlite I think in my mix (3 1kilo bags perlite, I bale peat moss, 1 kilo of vermiculite, about 6 cups worm castings, 2 cups bat guano and 2 cups buffered lime) I did get a more accurate pH test at the local nursery that is friendly to our growing and I was right at 6.6

About a week post transplant and they are taking off! This is the healthiest of the bunch by far though!

420-magazine-mobile1336815334.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1707566648.jpg

Back
Top Bottom